U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 PM

8 posts, read 14,119 times

Advertisements

Lots of really great things about Florida. Florida is improving politically, women are extremely friendly, (where else do you ever get to hug your waitress??!!!) the climate is great, it don't get as hot as you think, either! (want really stifling temps? go to Arizona!!!) and there is plenty of great things to do in South Florida! Also, real estate is nowhere near as expensive as it could be either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 07:37 PM

68 posts, read 233,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
Lots of really great things about Florida. Florida is improving politically, women are extremely friendly, (where else do you ever get to hug your waitress??!!!) the climate is great, it don't get as hot as you think, either! (want really stifling temps? go to Arizona!!!) and there is plenty of great things to do in South Florida! Also, real estate is nowhere near as expensive as it could be either!
I've been to Florida a few summers and nearly melted. You can hardly keep your eyes open from all the humidity. So before you go bashing Arizona look in your own back yard.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,761,369 times
Quote:
(where else do you ever get to hug your waitress??!!!)
You must be a really great tipper, Joker.

I enjoy visiting Florida. In winter, it is one of my favorite places to be.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,973,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelmo View Post
I've been to Florida a few summers and nearly melted. You can hardly keep your eyes open from all the humidity. So before you go bashing Arizona look in your own back yard.

I second that. The heat sucks! As for house prices, they are too expensive unless you are rich. If Florida does away with property taxes, itll make houses a little more affordable if they dont start going up again in price. There is friendly people everywhere.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:19 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,392,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I second that. The heat sucks! As for house prices, they are too expensive unless you are rich. If Florida does away with property taxes, itll make houses a little more affordable if they dont start going up again in price. There is friendly people everywhere.
I would think doing away with property tax could drive up property prices. Unless you already have a house they could become even more unaffordable. Everything come with a downside, nothing is all positive.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I would think doing away with property tax could drive up property prices. Unless you already have a house they could become even more unaffordable. Everything come with a downside, nothing is all positive.

Wont matter and frankly ill be happy because my parents own an expensive house that lost some value. For it to go back up to where prices were at the peak in 2005 would be nice. They would get their equity back, save $5k on property taxes and they arent leaving anytime soon anyway. The elimination in property taxes may be the motivation for them to downsize to a smaller house without getting slapped with higher taxes than their homesteaded big house.

Florida is already too expensive for me now. Havent seen any $50k houses and the $100k houses are shacks. PSL has decent houses but thatll set ya back $200k and up. I would need a $100k to $150k income to afford to stay in Florida, thats the reality. If I stay in FL, it will definately be in north FL because it doesnt have the problems of south FL and its also cheaper with better weather.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:40 PM

170 posts, read 230,186 times
Quote:
I prefer North/Central Florida Ė South Florida is anything but a great place to live, for me anyway. People are much friendlier further north Ė you can go into a bar and strike up a conversation with a random stranger. You canít really do that here Ė not in my experience anyway.

I disagree with you when you on the real estate issue. Real estate here is woefully overpriced. $300k will buy you a house that looks like a cardboard box, with a tiny yard to boot. To get anything ďdecentĒ in South Florida, youíve got to be prepared to shell out well over $600k. If you think itís worth it, thatís your choice. Personally, I refuse to pay over $300k for a house that I donít even like. If you drive through Miamiís south west / endless suburbs, youíll see these houses for yourself. They all look the same, i.e. boring, bland and box-shaped. If you think itís worth shelling out that kind of money for a house like that (plus the high cost of insuring that home), go for it.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
I prefer North/Central Florida – South Florida is anything but a great place to live, for me anyway. People are much friendlier further north – you can go into a bar and strike up a conversation with a random stranger. You can’t really do that here – not in my experience anyway.

I disagree with you when you on the real estate issue. Real estate here is woefully overpriced. $300k will buy you a house that looks like a cardboard box, with a tiny yard to boot. To get anything “decent” in South Florida, you’ve got to be prepared to shell out well over $600k. If you think it’s worth it, that’s your choice. Personally, I refuse to pay over $300k for a house that I don’t even like. If you drive through Miami’s south west / endless suburbs, you’ll see these houses for yourself. They all look the same, i.e. boring, bland and box-shaped. If you think it’s worth shelling out that kind of money for a house like that (plus the high cost of insuring that home), go for it.

Thats why houses arent selling in Miami. Its those whom the owner reduced his price several times that finally sells it. I read your posts and count me in, I definately dont like south FL, especially Miami. North FL is far better, might as well be a different state. I would be fine living in north FL if I was rich and there was no property taxes.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:42 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,230,815 times
Quote:
I will say YES, you mentioned a few topics that are key for our own residents and tourist to enjoy. Many factors affect individuals depending on the area of the state. I live in northwest Florida and PEOPLE make this area the BEST. Many of us called this area a paradise, the cost of living is low, housing market is less expensive, weather is fine, good education system, humidity is not an issue for me, beaches are pristine, and jobs are available.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:07 PM

393 posts, read 1,355,055 times
Quote:
the climate is great, it don't get as hot as you think, either! (want really stifling temps? go to Arizona!!!)
Wait, seriously? Have you lived here? It's HOT and humid year round. Maybe the thermometer raises to higher degrees in summer on occasion, but are our conditions better? I've never lived in dry heat but I've experienced it and I couldn't believe that the temp was 80 yet didn't feel like a Florida '80'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or