U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 AM

16 posts, read 19,615 times
Default Moving from PA to FL...

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice. I currently live in PA with my husband and we are looking to relocate to FL within the next yr. We have both been there absolutely love it, however we don't know alot about living there and certain towns, school systems, etc. We've done a lot of research online, but theres really only so much you can do on the internet. (Not to mention all the apartment communities look gorgeous but in reality it may not be the case). We would like to live within 30 mins of the coast and from what we see online, we really like the Port Orange area (but are open to any area along the coast that is nice and a safe place to raise children). So if anyone can please help us out that would be greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone can recommend any particular apartment communities, that would be wonderful! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 09:51 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,638,347 times
Red face Do you have jobs and a big wad of money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine2925 View Post
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice. I currently live in PA with my husband and we are looking to relocate to FL within the next yr. We have both been there absolutely love it, however we don't know alot about living there and certain towns, school systems, etc. We've done a lot of research online, but theres really only so much you can do on the internet. (Not to mention all the apartment communities look gorgeous but in reality it may not be the case). We would like to live within 30 mins of the coast and from what we see online, we really like the Port Orange area (but are open to any area along the coast that is nice and a safe place to raise children). So if anyone can please help us out that would be greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone can recommend any particular apartment communities, that would be wonderful! Thanks in advance!
You are considering making the worst decision of your life if you do not already have a Florida job that pays a livable and secure wage (an extreme scarcity for someone looking to relocate). The best suggestion anyone could give you would be to secure your job first, and then find a place to live. It is a whole lot easier that way than the other way around.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
You are considering making the worst decision of your life if you do not already have a Florida job that pays a livable and secure wage (an extreme scarcity for someone looking to relocate). The best suggestion anyone could give you would be to secure your job first, and then find a place to live. It is a whole lot easier that way than the other way around.

Yes, well we aren't stupid. We are currently in the process of looking for jobs. We just want to get some ideas on nice areas to live first and once we find that out and set up some interviews we plan on flying down and going from there.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 AM

557 posts, read 1,134,650 times
Quote:
Yes, well we aren't stupid. We are currently in the process of looking for jobs. We just want to get some ideas on nice areas to live first and once we find that out and set up some interviews we plan on flying down and going from there.
Great advice Retiredcoach: and just to add, PA's economy is in much much better shape than Florida, and even if you had a job lined up , it's quite a different work environment than in PA. I doubt you'll even be able to line up employment in Florida because there are so many FLORIDIANS that need jobs here.

Can you transfer with your current job? Do you have a special skill that is in high demand in Florida? If not you would be better off waiting until this economy gets better. Florida will still be here and it'll still be warm and sunny.

As for nice places, I always liked Ormond Beach and Port Orange but since you need employment you would be best off trying Jacksonville, Fl imho. It'll have more job opportunities and you would still be close to the beach.

I would trade you places in a heartbeat to get back to my homestate of PA. The grass is NOT always greener...................Best of Luck

Old 11-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Great advice Retiredcoach: and just to add, PA's economy is in much much better shape than Florida, and even if you had a job lined up , it's quite a different work environment than in PA. I doubt you'll even be able to line up employment in Florida because there are so many FLORIDIANS that need jobs here.

Can you transfer with your current job? Do you have a special skill that is in high demand in Florida? If not you would be better off waiting until this economy gets better. Florida will still be here and it'll still be warm and sunny.

As for nice places, I always liked Ormond Beach and Port Orange but since you need employment you would be best off trying Jacksonville, Fl imho. It'll have more job opportunities and you would still be close to the beach.

I would trade you places in a heartbeat to get back to my homestate of PA. The grass is NOT always greener...................Best of Luck

Thanks. My husband has been with his company for 14 years and they do water pump and sewage repair. So he wouldn't exactly be able to transfer but his job is something that can be done anywhere. As far as me, I do promotional/marketing work so I have to look a bit harder.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:39 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,638,347 times
Quote:
Thanks. My husband has been with his company for 14 years and they do water pump and sewage repair. So he wouldn't exactly be able to transfer but his job is something that can be done anywhere. As far as me, I do promotional/marketing work so I have to look a bit harder.

I am confused as to why anyone would consider moving away from secure jobs to a state with an economy that is in turmoil. Both you and your husband are looking to land opportunities that may not exist in Florida, or if you are lucky to find a position, may not pay you a fraction of what you are now earning. Are you looking to join the many "working poor" or just the unemployed/underemployed of Florida??

Old 11-13-2008, 02:34 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,950,233 times
You might want to reconsider, at least until the economy improves. Read this article: 8,000 Attend Central Florida Job Fair - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/17971267/detail.html - broken link)

They were turning away people at a job fair because so many locals are looking for work, do you think any FL employers will even bother to call someone with an out-of-state resume? If I was a betting man, I would bet that you will not get a single call when you start sending out resumes.

I made the complete opposite move from what you are looking for. I moved from FL to PA, because I got so sick of the lowlife jobs and poverty wages in FL. Dealing with cold and snow is much better than not having a paycheck that covers your bills.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:34 PM

5,634 posts, read 7,820,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I am confused as to why anyone would consider moving away from secure jobs to a state with an economy that is in turmoil. Both you and your husband are looking to land opportunities that may not exist in Florida, or if you are lucky to find a position, may not pay you a fraction of what you are now earning. Are you looking to join the many "working poor" or just the unemployed/underemployed of Florida??
Those career choices would make it tough in this climate to find work. There not all sectors are down and out though. Retiredcoach, I think your right, at least for a while, they'd be better off staying put.

Hey, how is Pittsburgh doing? I imagine things are kinda tough up there too. It went through its own turmoil that lasted for decades. It was really nice up there the last time I visited though. I like the tram, and Mount Washington - Great View of the rivers and the Stadiums! The Grandview Saloon is a good place to catch a cold one!

Old 11-13-2008, 03:17 PM

3,726 posts, read 6,754,531 times
Sorry, Christine, I know nothing about the Port Orange area. Hopefully, someone can and will eventually read and answer your questions instead of trying to tell you how to live your life. Not all of us are like that. You might try a City Data search and see if you get some older threads to read through.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,868,025 times
Port Orange is a nice area. I live about 45 minutes from there. We, too moved from PA (Poconos) 9 yrs ago and like it here. I can't help you with apartments thoug. You are correct as they all look beautiful ,but you have to be chosy. Maybe put this on one of the other threads, Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida