Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:45 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,241 times

Advertisements

I just came across an article in USA Today where they ranked the top 50 housing markets based on the risk of a possible price decline over the next 2 years. The Miami, Tampa, and Orlando areas were all on this list. Miami with a 35.9% risk index, Tampa with 29.4%, and Orlando with 17.5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 04:56 PM

800 posts, read 3,088,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels36
I worked as an assistant for my husband and his office. I researched the properties that fit their needs and he provided it to them. As long as a realtor is the one that provides the details and discusses it with the potential customers, it is fine. Anything we did always fit into the rules. We made sure of it. For the sake of this message board, I got to the meat of the story. BTW- my husband only dabbled in real estate on the side and doesn't bother with it anymore so it doesn't really matter.

The whole point was that if anyone wants to know the activity on a property, they only have to ask and the realtor can let them know. It doesn't pay to come across as a flakey seller when trying to sell your home. Even if people do not ask their realtor, they may be keeping an eye on certain properties. I for instance am doing this. I have a list of saved searches on realtor dot com and I check them every couple of days for updates and new listings. I have seen many properties reduce their prices since I have started doing this. If someone would increase their price, I would see that too when checking for updates. Flip flopping is just not good business.

Another thing to consider is that if everyone is priced so much higher and you are so much lower, where is all the activity? Where are all the offers? Raising the price will not help if the activity is still on the low side.

Of course, what you do is all determined by how much you want to and need to sell.
You say it doesn't matter since your husband doesn't work at real estate, then it really does matter because you are searching the MLX under his name and ID. Therefore, you are not working as his assistant now and should not be accessing under his ID. Best to keep quiet about breaking NARs rules.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:58 PM

112 posts, read 364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels36
I just came across an article in USA Today where they ranked the top 50 housing markets based on the risk of a possible price decline over the next 2 years. The Miami, Tampa, and Orlando areas were all on this list. Miami with a 35.9% risk index, Tampa with 29.4%, and Orlando with 17.5%.
That also means that Miami has a 64.1%, Tampa 70.6% and Orlando a 82.5% chance of NOT declining. I say the glass is half full.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:08 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltsig
That also means that Miami has a 64.1%, Tampa 70.6% and Orlando a 82.5% chance of NOT declining. I say the glass is half full.
that does make alot of sense. I wouldn't count on their opinions. It is all basically up to the people of the country, not their studies.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:14 PM

128 posts, read 641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom
that does make alot of sense. I wouldn't count on their opinions. It is all basically up to the people of the country, not their studies.
Well, if the article is correct, then the market in FL would not be at a stand-still like it is now. I definitely think that the market should decline because i am one of those frustrated people living here who can not get a decent QUALIFIED person to buy my home, which is priced UNDER appraisal in a GREAT school district. I am even ready to go $5000 lower. I am not greedy

Old 06-28-2006, 05:18 PM

Ya know, if everybody keeps going lower the buyers are just gonna expect to get a cheaper home. If people stick to their guns and just wait for the right person to come along it would benefit all the sellers.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:41 PM

128 posts, read 641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom
Ya know, if everybody keeps going lower the buyers are just gonna expect to get a cheaper home. If people stick to their guns and just wait for the right person to come along it would benefit all the sellers.
Do you live in FL??? Do you know how difficult it is to sell your home over here now? Not everybody can afford $300,000+ homes and to be honest, i know more people that are upset about how insane the prices have gotten here because they are stuck in their "starter" homes now since they can not afford to move. And my home is no where near $300,000, we are selling for $210,000. It is definitley a buyers market now and buyers can and will be choosy. I for one AM NOT going to sit back and wait around. I have 3 children that need to get situated before school starts in NC.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:42 PM

I am in Punta Gorda and I just lowered my home by $40K. I am not going any lower. The house has been totally remodeled and is below market value now.
Homes are selling here for more than that, so I will hold firm on the price.
You can't just give away your home at whatever price the seller wants it for.
Plain and simple.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e
You say it doesn't matter since your husband doesn't work at real estate, then it really does matter because you are searching the MLX under his name and ID. Therefore, you are not working as his assistant now and should not be accessing under his ID. Best to keep quiet about breaking NARs rules.
You certainly must have misread something. I never said anything about searching under his id NOW. Maybe you should go back and reread whatever it is you think you read.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltsig
No city was given a 100%. These 3 major Florida cities were in the top 26 out of 50. They base this on several factors and determined that these housing markets are prime for a decline. The existing home sales have decreased 6% from Jan. to May. When they measure the individual months against last year they are also lower. In addition to existing home sales going down, there seems to be an increasing number of homes hitting the market. An over flux of existing homes for sale plus the increase in interest rates is thought to bring property values down. Property values have already been showing a decline in some markets.

From what I have heard from several realtors in the Tampa area, values there are definitely dropping. Homes are not selling very quick and those that are selling are not selling for what they are asking. Many people who have listed their homes at these unreal prices are now on the verge of foreclosure waiting for the homes to sell.

Those that are hoping to take their profits and run, don't have to worry. They could always pull their homes off the market. However, those who have to sell can do this. They will have to come down. This will also force the values to correct. If several people in your neighborhood with similar homes sell at a reduced price, the one who does not will not be able to get an appraisal to support the value they are asking for anyway.

It only makes since that the inflated housing market in several areas would start to decrease.

The area with the best housing outlook, seems to be Texas. Probably because the oil and gas companies are going strong right now and they are hiring a lot of new people.

On a side note, new home sales are doing well. They say builders are offering a lot of incentives live tv's and furniture, etc. Although, the builders in the Tampa area that I have been talking with have been dropping the prices in their inventory homes because they just want to get rid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida