Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
If you don't think it's cold, great- that's you. I might think it is cold, that's me. Personally, I like the change in weather, I just don't like the 20's and 30's that much.
I'm from northern NJ, and I think it's cold. Temps in the 20s overnight in Florida? Sorry, but while that may be normal for my NJ hometown (which is one of the reasons we left -- I can't tolerate the cold due to arthritis, and my husband spent nearly 40 years working in a freezer as a supermarket department manager), it's not normal here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Moderator cut: comment

It hardly ever gets down in the single digits in downstate NY anyway.

It most certainly does. NYC temps aren't much different than they are in northern NJ, and I lived through plenty of single-digit temps.

Cold really isn't as bad as you think it is.

An 'IMHO' after this would go really well right about now.

A lot of us just get used to it.

And a lot of us never do.

Not saying I like it, but I just get used to it after the first few days. It isn't a big deal after a while.
Wait until you're in your 60s and 70s with arthritis that is aggravated by the cold. Let's see how big a deal it is then.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-07-2010 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Please don't use red.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default Wind chills in single digits

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Wait until you're in your 60s and 70s with arthritis that is aggravated by the cold. Let's see how big a deal it is then.
maybe, but ACTUAL temps? No. I lived in downstate NY, not someplace like BUFFALO, for 58 years. I AM in my 60s now. Maybe it is a big deal IF you are not willing to wear enough and the right clothes. I just came back last weekend from NY for Holidays. ONE DAY in those two weeks, the WIND CHILL was 3 degrees. Yes, I went outside numerous times a day to smoke. I just stood there in my downcoat, jeans, hoodie, and boots. At night I just threw the coat over my pj's and ugh slippers.

So don't try to tell MY daughter, "wait until you are in your 60s". It didn't happen to her mother, OR her grandfather either. My Dad worked the New York Piers OUTSIDE all day, all year, until he was 63 years old. He retired then and not to someplace warm. It never even would have occured to him to do that.

Don't generalize what "old people" are like.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Your right, you can't generalize, it is not only older people.

I am 45 and have arthritis.

For someone to say the cold isn't a big deal would be generalizing also wouldn't it?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
maybe, but ACTUAL temps? No. I lived in downstate NY, not someplace like BUFFALO, for 58 years.

And I lived in northern NJ, 5 miles SW of NYC, for 54 years. Your temp on LI are more moderate for a good part of the winter because of the clinatic effect of the Sound.

I AM in my 60s now. Maybe it is a big deal IF you are not willing to wear enough and the right clothes.

Pain is a big deal no matter how much clothing you wear.

I just came back last weekend from NY for Holidays. ONE DAY in those two weeks, the WIND CHILL was 3 degrees. Yes, I went outside numerous times a day to smoke. I just stood there in my downcoat, jeans, hoodie, and boots. At night I just threw the coat over my pj's and ugh slippers.

It's not my fault if you're so addicted to nicotine that you risk frostbite to get your fix.

So don't try to tell MY daughter,

Excuse me -- I knew she was your daughter when I posted. And I will express my opinion to her when I choose. You don't get to make that call.

"wait until you are in your 60s". It didn't happen to her mother, OR her grandfather either.

Then your family was incredibly lucky. My mother had arthritis in her 20s. She lived until she was 87, (and I feel cheated every day that she is no longer with us) and went out and about her business every single day -- walking or taking the bus, on the way to stores or to volunteer work with schoolchildren and the elderly. That doesn't mean she wasn't in incredible pain doing so. My father's hands were gnarled by arthritis.

My Dad worked the New York Piers OUTSIDE all day, all year, until he was 63 years old. He retired then and not to someplace warm. It never even would have occured to him to do that.

And your point is?

Don't generalize what "old people" are like.
I did no such thing. I went by the experience I've had with not only my own family, but in countless members of the public who I've met in over 32 years of municipal employment (plus 5 years of working in a supermarket before that) -- a good many years of that dealing with seniors and the disabled. I know the kind of pain the cold can cause in people -- in the young as well as the old. I saw my husband come home in agony each day because the cold aggravated his degenerative disk disease as well as the arthritis he has in his hands, back, and neck.

My message to your daughter was a 'count your blessings' instead of ultra-casually dismissing the attitudes of people to whom cold is indeed "a big deal".

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-07-2010 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: DO NOT USE RED!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
What makes us all individuals is we each have our own likes and dislikes of the Cold Temps. No one is right or wrong, just different views. Its nice that we don't all like the same things other wise we would all be living in the same place.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Your right, you can't generalize, it is not only older people.

I am 45 and have arthritis.

For someone to say the cold isn't a big deal would be generalizing also wouldn't it?
Got it in one, Mike. It's par for the course, as we all know.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:09 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
I'm from northern NJ, and I think it's cold. Temps in the 20s overnight in Florida? Sorry, but while that may be normal for my NJ hometown (which is one of the reasons we left -- I can't tolerate the cold due to arthritis, and my husband spent nearly 40 years working in a freezer as a supermarket department manager), it's not normal here.
You might want to check the date on the post you are responding to. He wasn't talking about our current cold spell.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
You might want to check the date on the post you are responding to. He wasn't talking about our current cold spell.
I saw the date -- I read the entire thread before I posted. My opinion would be the same no matter what the date is.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Sorry, I thought you had just accidentally bumped an old thread as often happens around here. It seemed a bit odd to respond to a post about weather from November of '08 as though it was referencing current temps, but if that's your thing, well, OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida