Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:02 PM

20 posts, read 113,512 times

Advertisements

What is it that keeps you here in Florida? When do you plan on moving? Will you be leaving because of the state itself, or will you be moving to seek an improved social or professional life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 06:01 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,079 times
I'm here because my immediate family is. We're all very close and my nephew being only three it would kill me to leave him now and only get to see him on holidays, if that.

I plan to move within the next 5 years because I'm sick of calling this place home. I hate the weather (no seasons, hurricanes, HOT year round), geographical seclusion, flat, uninspiring landscape, palm trees, shockingly bad drivers, lunatic pedestrians, etc.

But yeah, I came to this site to help me with my decision on where to move. Good times.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:18 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I'm not leaving. I love it here. For awhile, I thought I wanted to leave but after two freezing weeks spent in New England this February, I feel like Florida is my gift for doing something right all these years.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:25 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gross Rexman View Post
What is it that keeps you here in Florida? When do you plan on moving? Will you be leaving because of the state itself, or will you be moving to seek an improved social or professional life?
What is it that keeps you here in Florida? Our area is the best in the state

When do you plan on moving? So far not in the near future

Will you be leaving because of the state itself? Will depend on th social economic situation, but not in the near future....

or will you be moving to seek an improved social? No need, got what I want here at the present time...

Professional life? Best in the state, les expensive but top dollar paid in the aerospace industry. I'm receiving the fruit of my efforts and sacrifices during my 22 years in the USAF.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:48 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
What is it that keeps you here in Florida?
Family, Jobs, Amenities, Recreation, Shopping

When do you plan on moving?
Not until retirement and possibly not then if I can still afford to live here...

Will you be leaving because of the state itself, or will you be moving to seek an improved social or professional life?
The professional life we enjoy here is rare or not even available most other places. We have mega friends here, if we ever move it would be for two reasons...4 seasons and cheaper cost of living (mostly the cheaper cost of living)

Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gross Rexman View Post

Because I am self employed, I can live anywhere. Therefore location doesnt matter much as long as its affordable and low crime. I am unable to find a job here in south FL and my home business will keep growing. I will soon give up looking for a job. If I do land a job, I wont keep it long, once my home business grows, im quitting the job. Therefore I dont care if I find a job or not, being self employed is the way to go.

The only good reason I can think of staying in FL is if they do away with property taxes. There already is no state income tax and with no property taxes either, Florida will have one of the lowest tax burden by state. Of course I will need to be fairly rich as decent houses cant be touched for under $200k in north FL and im leaving south FL as I hate that location. The weather, crime and insane house prices suck, north FL is much better. I dont see whats so good about south FL unless you like the 9 month summers.

If I dont make enough money to afford FL at all, no point staying, only the wealthier people will benefit from zero property taxes and zero state income tax, the poor dont really save anything cause they dont make much money and theres no benefit to renting or even getting a cheap mobile home.

I will be able to get a correctly priced house at $50k in states like Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania or even Tennessee and several other states. The house would be 3 to 5 bedrooms and in an average to low crime neighboorhood. To live the same lifestyle would cost easily 4x more in north FL! There would need to be a very good incentive like doing away with property taxes. Otherwise I can live a better quality of life for cheaper in the northeast because costs of living is much less. The location is just as good as north FL. It gets cold but no hurricanes, ive been in hurricanes and that sucks!

Old 02-24-2007, 07:25 AM

177 posts, read 684,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Because I am self employed, I can live anywhere. Therefore location doesnt matter much as long as its affordable and low crime. I am unable to find a job here in south FL and my home business will keep growing. I will soon give up looking for a job. If I do land a job, I wont keep it long, once my home business grows, im quitting the job. Therefore I dont care if I find a job or not, being self employed is the way to go.

The only good reason I can think of staying in FL is if they do away with property taxes. There already is no state income tax and with no property taxes either, Florida will have one of the lowest tax burden by state. Of course I will need to be fairly rich as decent houses cant be touched for under $200k in north FL and im leaving south FL as I hate that location. The weather, crime and insane house prices suck, north FL is much better. I dont see whats so good about south FL unless you like the 9 month summers.

If I dont make enough money to afford FL at all, no point staying, only the wealthier people will benefit from zero property taxes and zero state income tax, the poor dont really save anything cause they dont make much money and theres no benefit to renting or even getting a cheap mobile home.

I will be able to get a correctly priced house at $50k in states like Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania or even Tennessee and several other states. The house would be 3 to 5 bedrooms and in an average to low crime neighboorhood. To live the same lifestyle would cost easily 4x more in north FL! There would need to be a very good incentive like doing away with property taxes. Otherwise I can live a better quality of life for cheaper in the northeast because costs of living is much less. The location is just as good as north FL. It gets cold but no hurricanes, ive been in hurricanes and that sucks!
A house with 3-5 bedrooms in an average to low-crime neighborhood for 50K? Good luck in finding one that doesn't need major repairs or renovations.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:39 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
What is it that keeps you here in Florida? (not in order)
1. Our business
2. Weather
3. Proximity to everything including 2 major airports
4. Medical
5. Beautiful home on lake that we purchased in 1994 that's almost paid off
6. Variety of cultures - cosmopolitan

We're looking now and plan to keep our home here for a while - that all may change. Sometimes things look better elsewhere but aren't.

Will you be leaving because of the state itself,
In part.

or will you be moving to seek an improved social or professional life?
In part.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:59 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
My husbands company.

I wish we had moved yesterday, but once things are lined up with the company.

Will you be leaving because of the state itself, or will you be moving to seek an improved social or professional life?
All three

Old 02-24-2007, 09:02 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times

Decent job that I enjoy, but still can't reasonably afford housing. So for the time being I'm job hunting and will be ready to go at a moment's notice.

If all goes well, within a month.

The state itself primarily. Disney is not culture. Growing celery isn't much of a historical footprint (in the case of Sanford). St Augustine is the only historically cultural mecca in the state as far as I'm concerned and I can only go there so many times.... The heat is unbearable, again, not because of simply how hot it gets, but for how LONG it is brutally hot. Strip malls are ugly and in our area of Florida it's apparrent that they value commerce over any natural beauty that the place had.

Socially there's a lot to do here, but I have a young family and can't do most of it anyway, so away we go!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida