U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:23 PM

13 posts, read 28,782 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! Hubby and I are retiring in the near future. We've lived just north of Orlando for the last 10 years and dream of making the move to an area somewhere between south of Melbourne and north of Miami. Our needs are simple. Basically, sun, warm temps, and excellent offshore fishing! More specifically, single-family property in a quiet and safe neighborhood, NO HOA's, within 10 miles of good medical facilities, shopping, and a good boat ramp for launching our 23-foot Grady. Must be in a middle-income area. We're just a conservative and quiet couple who love Florida and just want to get closer to the Gulf Stream. Can anyone suggest some possible areas to look at? How about areas to stay away from? Thanks so much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 01:36 PM

58 posts, read 58,835 times
I've lived in Boca Raton for 12 years. Honestly I think you will have a difficult time finding what you're seeking in Palm Beach or Broward Counties - definitely not Miami. I'd recommend staying in Saint Lucie, Indian River, and Martin Counties if you want to stay in the east coast of FL. If you're open to the West Coast, Naples is your best bet.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:47 PM

Thank you very much! We're starting this research for financial planning. It's a feasibility study to say the least!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:02 PM

232 posts, read 812,250 times
SE FLA Dreamers I just read an article in a retirement magazine while at the dentist office that listed the top ten retirement places and Melbourne was listed as one of them it was also rated lower than average as far as cost of living goes. the other Florida town that was listed was Venice but the cost of living there was listed above average compared nationally. The article made melbourne very appealing. Good luck

Old 02-23-2007, 02:11 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,964,829 times
You will probably want to live in Port Saint Lucie but youll need $200k for a starter house. $135k is the cheapest ive seen and thatll get you a tiny 2/1 shack. Maybe you can look for foreclosure deals, my dad thinks ill be able to get that $50k house in a foreclosure auction in PSL.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:28 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,759,096 times
What price range, Dreamers?

Depending upon your budget, you could move somewhere around downtown Boca or even nearby Deerfield Beach and launch your boat at no charge from Silver Palm public park in Boca right outside the grounds of the famous (but overrated) Boca Raton Resort & Club.

Silver Palm Park is just below the Palmetto Park Road drawbridge. I used to sit on a bench there sometimes beside the Intracoastal and read or just enjoy the weather while watching the boats pass by. I've watched the annual Christmas Boat Parade from that clean little park, too.

Also check out Coconut Creek and Pompano Beach for some nice older Florida homes without HOAs.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:31 PM

17,298 posts, read 25,604,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You will probably want to live in Port Saint Lucie but youll need $200k for a starter house. $135k is the cheapest ive seen and thatll get you a tiny 2/1 shack. Maybe you can look for foreclosure deals, my dad thinks ill be able to get that $50k house in a foreclosure auction in PSL.
There are no "shacks" in Port St. Lucie, lol. There are smaller, older homes, yes. But "shacks"? Come on!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:50 PM

Good info! Do you recall the name of the magazine?

Old 02-23-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
SE FLA Dreamers I just read an article in a retirement magazine while at the dentist office that listed the top ten retirement places and Melbourne was listed as one of them it was also rated lower than average as far as cost of living goes. the other Florida town that was listed was Venice but the cost of living there was listed above average compared nationally. The article made melbourne very appealing. Good luck
Good Info! Do you recall the name of the magazine?

Old 02-23-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
What price range, Dreamers?

Depending upon your budget, you could move somewhere around downtown Boca or even nearby Deerfield Beach and launch your boat at no charge from Silver Palm public park in Boca right outside the grounds of the famous (but overrated) Boca Raton Resort & Club.

Silver Palm Park is just below the Palmetto Park Road drawbridge. I used to sit on a bench there sometimes beside the Intracoastal and read or just enjoy the weather while watching the boats pass by. I've watched the annual Christmas Boat Parade from that clean little park, too.

Also check out Coconut Creek and Pompano Beach for some nice older Florida homes without HOAs.
Sounds great and what we're looking for! Would love to get our hands on a nice older home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or