U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:24 AM

308 posts, read 1,086,050 times
Default Need info on Homosassa

Anyone know anything about this area? What type of rep does this area have? What are the best neighborhoods?

I've heard of Sugarmill Woods but his neighborhood is very large and has many smaller neighborhoods within - which ones are best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2006, 10:45 AM

105 posts, read 472,435 times
I go to Homosassa once or twice a year for a weekend. Lots of Yankees in the winter in Crystal River and Homosassa. It's a cheaper area of Florida to retire to. It is becoming more of a Tampa bedroom community I believe. Houses are cheaper there than southeast and southwest Florida. Not very many good paying jobs in the area, but it is a cheaper area to live in. There is a small mall in Crystal River. There is a big flea market in Homosassa, Howards on highway 19. Excellent fishing, easy access to the Gulf, crystal clear rivers and Manatees. If I was going to retire to Florida I would consider this area, especially if you are into fishing. If you are looking at Real Estate make sure it doesn't flood. This area is subject to tidal surges from Hurricanes.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:20 PM

This info was helpful. My husband visited the area today and said it was really nice. He drove around Sugarmill Woods but it was hard to find many of the houses he wanted to see. Sugarmills seems to be divided into many smaller neighborhoods. We are trying to find out the names of them and which are considered to be the best. Also trying to find out what builders are in the area and which have good and not so good reps.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,179 times
Default Sugarmill Woods

I live in Sugarmill Woods - I moved here at the end of last year from California. Sugarmill Woods is divided into 3 villages - Cypress Village, Southern Woods and Oak Village. Cypress Village is the oldest area, with a mix of both older homes and newer homes. There are still open lots available for building. Cypress Village has a 24 hole golf course and country club. Cypress Village also has the lowest elevation, and the first 1.5miles from US19 into Cypress Village is a mandatory evacuation area for hurricanes. Most homes back up onto the green belt, and a few do back up onto the golf course.

Southern Woods is primarily for golfers - it has an 18 hole golf club and lots of the homes back up on the golf course. This section has very nice homes. This has a high elevation.

Oak Village is the newest village, and almost all the homes are newer. It has the most building activity, and some of the most problems due to the construction activities. This has a high elevation for the most part.

Most of the locals consider Sugarmill Woods as its own city, since there are about 9,500 current inhabitants. Homosassa, the town Sugarmill is really in, only has about 2500 additional people to Sugarmill.

Sugarmill itself does have a governing body with a president, board of directors, etc. that are elected. Each village also has its own governing bodies that report into Sugarmill.

There are dozens of clubs and interest groups in Sugarmill - easy to find things to do and people to meet. Sugarmill has it's own newspaper, the Greenbelt Gazette, and its own website - www.mysmw.com/

Sugarmill is a deed restricted community. I sit on the dreaded deed restriction committee charged with ensuring that people adhere to the restrictions. Actually, it's a lot of fun and the people are great.

You are correct in taking a lot of care in selecting your builder. One of the problems here at Sugarmill are builders/developers who start homes and then go under, leaving the buyers stranded. If you get the chance, you should come to one of our meetings and hear for yourself the people talk about the builders.

Good luck with your plans and let me know if there are any other questions I can help with!

Old 06-24-2006, 06:15 PM

kmaynor,

Thanks for the info. I may need to pm you in the future as we narrow down our home search. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 12,886 times
I really appreciate the info. you gave on sugarwood mills. We're from chicago and interested in that area of florida. I have been doing some research and read in their website that flooding is not a problem because of its high elevation. Have you had any flooding or tidal surges since you've been there?
thanks!

Old 06-29-2006, 04:38 PM

152 posts, read 270,450 times
I have a water front lot in Crystal river, and my neighbors had less than an inch of water in their yard after this last storm. From what the neighbors tell me they have never had a water problem and they have been there since the early70's. So I guess it must be elevation. This area is growing for a lot of reasons.Not just the recreation,(river, gulf, ) but the fact that its been lucky not to have ever suffered from severe hurricane damage. It seem they hit north and south of the nature coast.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:12 PM

10 posts, read 49,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels36
Anyone know anything about this area? What type of rep does this area have? What are the best neighborhoods?

I've heard of Sugarmill Woods but his neighborhood is very large and has many smaller neighborhoods within - which ones are best.

I am currently researching Citrus County (where Homosassa is),planning my move as soon as I get my ducks in a row. I have friends that live in Inverness (very close to there).
My mother lives in Leesburg (Lake County). She recently toured Citrus county for me since I live 5 hours south in Broward and she only lives 45 mins East. I found on the internet that the homes in Homosassa were very reasonable and wanted to know her opinion.
Her conclusion was that Homosassa was cheaper because it wasn't so nice and strongly suggested Inverness over all the cities in Citrus County.

She said it was the most beautiful and best place to raise children, so that's where I'm headed once I get some information I've been looking into about first time home buyers on 1 income. It wont be easy for me to afford a mortgage on my own, but I really need to have a nice home with a yard for my kids. The homes in Inverness seem a little higher then Homosassa, but apparently worth it.
My friend from Inverness jokes about Homosassa being Slums-a-sassa...not to insult anyone, just sharing the info I have.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 13,018 times
Hi Kmaynor ... it's so nice to meet someone who actually LIVES in Sugarmill Woods ... we just bought a cul-de-sac lot ... we haven't seen it yet, as it was purchased sight unseen ... one of our friends is a realtor in town here in Jersey ... he and his wife went down a few years ago and fell in love with the area ... they purchased in SMW/Cypress Village at that time ... we waited long enough to make the decision to purchase .. I'm glad we did at this point ... as lot prices are sky-rocketing ... we will hopefully build a home there within the next few years .. perhaps rent it out to "snowbirds" until we are ready to finally relocate .. please feel free to e-mail me or pm me with any information you'd care to share ... I am trying to find out if there is a SMW Homeowner's website ... do you know of anything? ... thanks so much ... Jo Anne

Last edited by JoAnne Adores SMWoods; 08-12-2006 at 04:06 PM..

Old 08-13-2006, 04:45 AM

6 posts, read 18,201 times
I found this 6 minute video on Citrus County...

http://www.mandasolutions.com/visualtechnologies/citrusfl/movie.wmv (broken link)

I think it is a Chamber of Commerce type guide... but I couldn't find a credit to give you a source.

Try it out if you have hi-speed hookup.

I live in a community called Citrus Hills in the town of Hernando. That is the center of the County between Inverness and Crystal River. I have a six year old son and was impressed by the Elementary School in that section.

Elevations in our area are between 150-262 ft above sea level... so flooding is a non issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida