Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,809 times

Advertisements

Northwest Florida has white sand beaches and it is a little cheaper plus i wouldn't want to live any where that didn't have a beach no fishing and spring break girls lol. I see it like this hurricanes make sure that crappy looking run down houses blow away(not always the case but still u know Wat i mean) it brings allot of jobs for the little guy yea we pay the highest insurance rates but u could live in new York pay a cheaper insurance rate but never have a disaster you might pay 175 dollars a month in new York for 10 years and never have a disaster but in Florida u pay 275 for 10 years have a hurricane hit and get brand new stuff so in a way u get Ur money back so u will eventually get Ur money back. just thought i would point out a different point of view i like to see the good in every thing the best i can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
"Depends on what kind of heating system you have. MY heat is less efficient than air conditioning, and it costs more to heat than air condition. People spending $400/month up north for heating bills is not uncommon."

"The sellers in the northeast are paying $200 a month for heating and they have a big house. I will do exactly as they do."

I have a friend that lives north of Atlanta his gas bill to heat his 3500 sq ft house is over $200 a month and it gets allot colder in the NE than Atlanta.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:28 AM

15 posts, read 78,279 times
Listen need_affordable_home, I've just about had it with you. When you visit all these houses in Pittsburgh or Oil City or Ohio or West Virginia, where ever it is that you think is so much better than Florida, then post on here that you've made a knowledgeable assessment of both areas. YOU HAVE NOOOOOOOOO IDEA WHAT IT'S LIKE TO LIVE IN THE NORTHEAST BECAUSE YOU'VE NEVER EVEN BEEN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everytime I check city data I have to read your disheartening posts about how much you hate Florida. Jeez Louise get the **** out now if you hate so much!!!! Don't wait!!!! You shouldn't have any problem getting a huge house that's a money pit in Pennsylvania. The owner of that house will sell it to you gladly and thank you for being so "knowledgeable" about the Pennylvania housing market!!!!! All of us looking to move to Florida are crazy but not you!! (Sarcasm intended) The fact of the matter is that you are not any better then the people going south. Because since according to you everyone going south is getting ripped off so will you, honey, when you move to the north.
Go north, really, I hope to God you don't regret it. It's not all about the money. Yet, as much as people try to warn you, you don't listen and frankly, most people on here are sick of having to see your name EVERYWHERE they go on this forum. I literally want to scream everytime I hear OIL CITY, PA mentioned. WE ARE IN THE FLORIDA FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People from the Norhteast are trying to get out in spite of the mecca that, according to you, we all live in and don't appreciate. Well, vice versa to you. Don't say we didn't warn you. And for the love of *** please stop with Oil City PA or west bumble**** Ohio. When you get here and realize that you have to pay property taxes, state taxes and huge heating bills you will hopefully realize that the grass is not always greener. I think you have the MOST severe case of grass is greener syndrome I have ever seen!!!! You are trading one extreme for the other and you don't realize it because of it. Good luck to you. Wake up from this delusion sooner rather than later.
You're problem is that you are wet behind the ears still, not even out of school and you want to live in a huge house. Doesn't matter where, it just has to be huge and practically given away cheap. At your young age, you have a pretty good head on your shoulders. You will do good in life because of it and without needing to move to the boonies to get it. You should do what sane people do. Buy a condo or a townhouse in a desirable area then sell it in a few years for profit. Then you will be able to buy a house and you'll still be a very young homeowner. This will get you a good return of your investment. These $50,000. homes are a money pit. No one wants to live there. You will not be able to sell it when you realize that Oil City is where people go to die not live.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:18 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
[quote=sharon2329;405105]Listen need_affordable_home, I've just about had it with you. QUOTE]

Wow... you know how many times i've wanted to say that to someone on the Forum (not the person your referencing to this time)

Anyways, i keep hearing about all these cheap homes in rural areas. Well to throw my 2 cents in, I bought a cheap home here in FL for $40,000 in 2001 just across the street from the lake in a very nice quiet neighborhood and we fixed it up as it was a total disaster inside. It's a small 990 sq/ft home so it's small but we tolerate it. Now when you start looking at big homes with 2 stories and a basement for $50,000 i don't know about that. A picture on the internet does not mean it's a great one of a kind find. i mean look at the neighborhoods they are in. Is there a lot of crime around? drugs? robberies? who knows until you actually go there and visit the place. Realtors or owners will not disclose this info with you. Maybe the owners just want out and are selling the home so cheap which is possible but i find it unlikely. Also the newest thing i'm finding on TV and the news is that some of these old homes are Meth labs and those nasty chemicals get into your walls and floors making you sick when you move in your home. It's easy money for some people i'm sure if you live in such a rural place there's no where to work. Sure i would love to find a 2 story fixer upper for $50,000 but just because it looks okay and can be remodeled a bit doesn't mean there are no hidden problems and you won't find them until your actually living in that house. I know in FL our problem is mold in homes. It's so moist down here that it can build up anywhere and it will make some people sick if it's found indoors but once again, this can be cleaned up for a short time while it's on the market and come back out a month or so later after you've moved in so just beware. It's these type of things that are not disclosed to the buyers which should be. that's my 2 cents.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
What have you got against Oil city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon2329 View Post
Listen need_affordable_home, I've just about had it with you. When you visit all these houses in Pittsburgh or Oil City or Ohio or West Virginia, where ever it is that you think is so much better than Florida, then post on here that you've made a knowledgeable assessment of both areas. YOU HAVE NOOOOOOOOO IDEA WHAT IT'S LIKE TO LIVE IN THE NORTHEAST BECAUSE YOU'VE NEVER EVEN BEEN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everytime I check city data I have to read your disheartening posts about how much you hate Florida. Jeez Louise get the **** out now if you hate so much!!!! Don't wait!!!! You shouldn't have any problem getting a huge house that's a money pit in Pennsylvania. The owner of that house will sell it to you gladly and thank you for being so "knowledgeable" about the Pennylvania housing market!!!!! All of us looking to move to Florida are crazy but not you!! (Sarcasm intended) The fact of the matter is that you are not any better then the people going south. Because since according to you everyone going south is getting ripped off so will you, honey, when you move to the north.
Go north, really, I hope to God you don't regret it. It's not all about the money. Yet, as much as people try to warn you, you don't listen and frankly, most people on here are sick of having to see your name EVERYWHERE they go on this forum. I literally want to scream everytime I hear OIL CITY, PA mentioned. WE ARE IN THE FLORIDA FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People from the Norhteast are trying to get out in spite of the mecca that, according to you, we all live in and don't appreciate. Well, vice versa to you. Don't say we didn't warn you. And for the love of *** please stop with Oil City PA or west bumble**** Ohio. When you get here and realize that you have to pay property taxes, state taxes and huge heating bills you will hopefully realize that the grass is not always greener. I think you have the MOST severe case of grass is greener syndrome I have ever seen!!!! You are trading one extreme for the other and you don't realize it because of it. Good luck to you. Wake up from this delusion sooner rather than later.
You're problem is that you are wet behind the ears still, not even out of school and you want to live in a huge house. Doesn't matter where, it just has to be huge and practically given away cheap. At your young age, you have a pretty good head on your shoulders. You will do good in life because of it and without needing to move to the boonies to get it. You should do what sane people do. Buy a condo or a townhouse in a desirable area then sell it in a few years for profit. Then you will be able to buy a house and you'll still be a very young homeowner. This will get you a good return of your investment. These $50,000. homes are a money pit. No one wants to live there. You will not be able to sell it when you realize that Oil City is where people go to die not live.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:06 PM

20 posts, read 113,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon2329 View Post

His homepage links you to chooseabstinence.org Guess he won't care about that hot Oil City singles scene.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 PM

58 posts, read 77,679 times
With every place you live, there will be both bad and good things. I think when someone decides where they want to settle down, they need to first evaluate their life priorities and then decide which area has more goods than bads. We all need to recognize that no place is perfect. Even those of us looking to leave Florida, there will be trade-offs (i.e. colder winters, etc.).

Old 02-26-2007, 02:17 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it. We need to remember that we will not always agree on what is bad or good about Florida. We also need to remember that we are all in differant stages of life, some are just starting out, some are in the middle of life and others are in the retirement stage. And in each stage we are looking for different things. Someone at 20 usually isn't looking for the same things as someone at 70 years old. For example someone at 70 doesn't have the same finances as some one at 20 years old.

But in the end we are all different in needs, wants, likes, dislikes, etc. We need to remember that everyone has ther right to have their opinion and we shouldn't jump on someone just because they have a different opinion.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:02 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Everyone is trying to understand NHA and is difficult because he flip-flops a lot on his threads. The main purpose of the forum is information and we are hopping that everyone has a sound basis of knowledge on the topics that we discuss, but unrealistic ideas takes away from the meaning of what we do.

Not so long ago we posted on the negative of our Florida Forum, if we get too far out of the topic the thread is closed and NAH will open another and continue with the same idea.

Best advice is to avoid the thread if you don't want to be part of the discussion.

V/R
Sunrico90

Old 02-26-2007, 03:21 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
As a person moving to Florida, I have to say that all the negative bashing about Florida is really quite frightening. I do appreciate everyone's opinions, suggestions, and advice...that is why I enjoy this forum. When you are moving across states as I am coming from Pennsylvania (not Oil City, lol) it is smart to gather as much info as you can and a realtor will only tell you the good. However, I think that some posters do go overboard with their bashing. You would think that Florida the biggest dump in the U.S. They worry about how they will sell their homes in order to leave, but they defeat their whole purpose by repeatedly telling everyone how awful it is to live there. Give your opinion, sure, be honest, certainly, but don't let a seething hatred from your own particular world pour over into what should be just an opinion based on factual experience and not some exaggerated tale of how hot is that you have to gasp for oxygen, etc, etc. No place is perfect, but at least try to like your home while you are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida