U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,662,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenaround View Post
I'm from the mid-atlantic originally, but this area is too "New Yorkish" for me. At the local Wal-Mart, I felt like I was in an episode of the Sopranos.

LOL! "Yooze tawkin tuh me?" You are SO right. Sopranos wannabes!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,736,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry88 View Post
HI

what is palm coast like? can someone tell us about the area to live. we donnot have kids, married. 30s. we are looking for a nice quite place to live, to start up a business. any hints or info will be nice.

thanks
I would think that Palm Coast might be a good place for you to consider for many of the reasons other posters have stated as negatives. (And they are negatives for a family looking for a vibrant area with easy access to shopping, nightlife, etc.)

It's quiet and you have to travel far to find service and businesses. You are seeking quiet and a place to start a business. And Flagler's beaches are gorgeous.

The reason that a lot of homes are for sale is that many folks purchased new homes with a first and second mortgage and so bought with no down payment (thanks to Countrywide and other bad lenders.) Many of the seconds are balloon mortgages that are coming due. Since they bought with no down payment at the height of the bubble, they can't refinance, as home values have depreciated. So they are at risk of foreclosure.

Not sure what business you are in, but I would imagine that the area will be bustling in a few years because of its location convenient to Jax and Orlando and beautiful beaches. The negatives could well be an opportunity for you if you are looking for a place to set down roots. I doubt that it will remain quiet for long, however. Ocala was a sleepy little berg for decades and it is bustling now.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
It's quiet and you have to travel far to find service and businesses.

hereinfla, I don't know where you're from, but Palm Coast is anything but quiet. The main drag, Palm Coast Parkway, is a traffic nightmare and will get unbelievably worse when they start to widen it. Services & businesses are plentiful, but there are no major department stores, other than Wal-Mart. If you don't get to Outback by 4:30, there's a 45 minute wait, which would indicate the success of & the need for that type of restaurant, but it took them over 2 years to get the city council to allow them to build. There are plans for a Target, a Sam's Club & other chains which will only increase the traffic problem. And the people who will work for the chains at minimum wage cannot afford to live in Palm Coast. It's all virtually new housing with almost no apartment rentals. It's a planned community that wasn't planned well-enough for the growth it has experienced in the past decade.

Flagler Beach IS beautiful & quiet, it's NOT Palm Coast.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:50 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,736,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
hereinfla, I don't know where you're from, but Palm Coast is anything but quiet. The main drag, Palm Coast Parkway, is a traffic nightmare and will get unbelievably worse when they start to widen it. Services & businesses are plentiful, but there are no major department stores, other than Wal-Mart. If you don't get to Outback by 4:30, there's a 45 minute wait, which would indicate the success of & the need for that type of restaurant, but it took them over 2 years to get the city council to allow them to build. There are plans for a Target, a Sam's Club & other chains which will only increase the traffic problem. And the people who will work for the chains at minimum wage cannot afford to live in Palm Coast. It's all virtually new housing with almost no apartment rentals. It's a planned community that wasn't planned well-enough for the growth it has experienced in the past decade.

Flagler Beach IS beautiful & quiet, it's NOT Palm Coast.
Flagler Beach is very accessible to PC.

Infrastructure is always going to prove a problem in areas of growth. I didn't find it to be comparable to many other areas of Florida, which can be gridlock, but I also don't tend to be there during peak drive times, so certainly won't dispute your claims. Many of the posters have mentioned PC as being quiet and having no shopping, but not having lived there, I deferred to their opinons in my post.

Not trying to argue, just explaining why I would encourage them to consider Palm Coast.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:26 AM

467 posts, read 1,546,473 times
flagler county and specifically palm coast has been the fastest growing area in the country over the past few years. im not sure about right now.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:50 AM

2000 population in Palm Coast, not Flagler County, was about 33,000. Now it's over 60,000. Projected by 2020 to be 250,000.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:05 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,127,819 times
Flagler Beach nice? Yes.

Palm Coast a good place? Not at all.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:43 PM

330 posts, read 1,199,794 times
I moved there from Palm Beach County in the summer of 2002. I lived East of 95. The intersection of 95 and Palm Coast Pkwy--ridiculous. 95 was 2 lanes N & S (not sure if it still is) and there was always an accident and backed-up. I lasted 3 months (bought in July, sold in Nov). I could not take driving to St. Augustine or Daytona for everything, I mean you can only get so much at Walmart!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:53 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,127,819 times
I just read in the paper this morning that a Super Target is going to open in Palm Coast in 2008. Wow.

It still doesn't entice me to move there. :-)

Oh, and Bunnell (right by Palm Coast) is getting a new drug treatment facility.

Still not enticing enough for me.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:24 AM

9,813 posts, read 20,045,079 times
I once thought about dating a guy who lived in Palm Coast but who worked in St. Augustine. Largely based on the fact that he would choose Palm Coast over a much more real option, I decided he wasn't my kind of guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida