Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 AM

489 posts, read 2,008,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
That depends on where you work. That happens everyday in my school. I realize I am blessed!

So.....here's my real Florida day...

The alarm goes off at 5:45. I get up, dress and am out the door by 7:00. I drive back roads to my job in downtown Orlando and get there around 7:20-7:30. There is traffic, but it moves well at that time of the morning - at least on the roads I travel. The other employees are arriving, fresh faced and pleasant. After a trip to get a large mug of delicious Amaretto coffee, I am ready for the day. I have a completely scheduled day and often eat a working lunch at my desk. I leave work between 4:00 and 4:30 and get home about 20-30 minutes later. I drive through Thornton Park, onto the 408 to the 417. The only place I sometimes find it back up is the toll plaza on the 408 at Lake Underhill.

Upon arriving home, I immediately change into shorts and a tank top - NO shoes. Let the dog out in the back yard, pick up the mail, and get things started for dinner. By that time DH is home. We usually sit for a few minutes on the pool deck, having a drink (virgin...LOL), reviewing our day and enjoying the relaxation of the evening. After that, DH grills some fish, chicken or steak while I prepare salad, veggies and we continue our evening eating/relaxing poolside. When the weather is warm enough we sometimes swim before dinner, but most often after dinner. We may watch a favorite TV show or read our email. DH loves to do it on the laptop by the pool. We then walk the dog for a long walk around the neighborhood, before retiring to bed.

We try to plan to get away at least one weekend a month. There are so many wonderful places to explore in Florida, we haven't covered them all. But we've had great weekends, camping in Anastasia State Park, we love staying in the various Bed and Breakfasts in St. Augustine and exploring the old city, hiking, boating and eating the pancakes breakfasts at DeLeon Springs State Park, exploring Tarpon Springs, the Keys, Sanibel and Captiva and I could go on.

We live with woods all around us - several miles deep. We only have one close neighbor. We see and hear all kinds of wildlife. DH loves to sit on the deck in the dark and listen to the noises from the woods. Thankfully, it is county land, park land and protected lands so we don't have to worry about it being developed.

Sounds absolutely glorious, pianogal. Very much reminds me of my life in St. Petersburg (with the exception of being surrounded by woods). Reading your post gave me the warm-fuzzies. Can't wait to go "home" again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 AM
kar

179 posts, read 751,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
Sounds absolutely glorious, pianogal. Very much reminds me of my life in St. Petersburg (with the exception of being surrounded by woods). Reading your post gave me the warm-fuzzies. Can't wait to go "home" again.
FedUpInFtMyers why don't you leave Fort Myers then? We left Fort Myers and move to another state two years ago. Just curious

Old 02-28-2007, 11:23 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,114,595 times
Pianogal is extremely fortunate and the routine sounds purrty good. She's also very smart. :-))
I'm wondering if she would have any room to adopt a quiet (honest) middle age woman with some really cute baggage. :-)))

Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 AM

436 posts, read 1,352,906 times
I loved reading your post Pianogal. I am hoping that my move to Florida will bring my family and I the joy that it has brought to you. It was nice to read about someone being happy with what they have instead of the wishing for something that won't really change a basically unhappy person.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:45 AM

489 posts, read 2,008,791 times
Default Check your private messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar View Post
FedUpInFtMyers why don't you leave Fort Myers then? We left Fort Myers and move to another state two years ago. Just curious
I sure haven't stayed because I love it here, and I do have plans in the near future to get out. I sent you a PM. Also wish to note that you asked me the same question - which I also responded to - under another thread.

Last edited by FedUpInFtMyers; 03-01-2007 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Realized I already answered kar's question

Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 AM

131 posts, read 1,031,998 times
Pianogal has it figured out.

I'd be willing to bet that there are a LOT more people out there who are in a similar position. That position is not often heard however, the squeeky wheel getting the grease and all.

My typical days...

Weekday: Get up around 6:30, take a shower and get dressed (usually sandals, short and button up shirt), drop my son off at school, stop by the beach to check the waves or snap a couple of pictures if the sunrise is good, grab a breakfast sandwich at the local deli, work, pick son up and go home, put some music on, decide what to eat, sit on the porch or patio with drink in hand, relax, chill, sleep.

Weekend: Get up early or late, make breakfast, decide whether to take the boat out, go fishing, drop the kayak in the creek, play at the beach, go surfing, go scuba diving, go hiking, ride my bike, do some yardwork or mainenance (last resort), or in the case of foul weather, go back to sleep.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:00 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,191,959 times
Wwwwaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

I'm jealous

Old 03-01-2007, 01:21 PM

35 posts, read 161,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
We know how bad Florida really is, but years ago here's how I saw myself living in Florida when I turned 40:

I wake up in the morning, and get breakfast started. Go outside and grab a grapefruit and get some fresh eggs, and start the oatmeal. (alternative) I would have a wife and she would be making the meal for me. It's been a busy month at the business, and we are having to work hard to keep up with the sales. Looking outside I see the sun rising over the trees, and the fog is lifting. Beautiful tropical flowers and plants are abundant. Just grabbed a banana from the backyard, and come inside to enjoy the eggs and oatmeal with the fresh Florida grapefruit. Of course there's fresh orange juice with the meal. Then it's off to the shower and time to get ready for work. Sometimes I work from my home office, but it's a pleasant drive to the highway where our warehouse is. The cars sit in the garage, hmm which one today, the blue 69 Charger, Red 70 Charger, 55 Chrysler, or maybe the truck? It's not going to rain so I take one of the restored Chargers. 15 minutes on a two-lane road through ranches, farms and wetlands really gets me in a good mood. I arrive at the office relaxed, and ready for the day ahead. Our employees arrive, one after the other in a good mood and we start work at 9. Shipments arrive, and orders go out. Some walk-in customers come in for a chat about what they need. The day goes quickly and it's lunch time. We go in the break room and eat lunch with the sight of beautiful Florida outside. After lunch it's back to work and the time flies by. It's 5 and everyone starts going home. By 5:30 I am in my car and back on the way home for a great dinner. Whether I make it myself or have a family to come home to it's all good. After all I am in Florida where my property tax is less than 1% of my income and my assets are protected from lawsuits. Traffic is never a problem and business is fantastic! Many of my workers are also my neighbors and we get together from time to time. I have dinner and relax a bit. Me or the family goes to the rec room to watch TV or a movie and settle in for 3 games of bowling. The lanes take only minutes to condition and the pinsetters work great, I just replaced belts and bearings. Well it's getting late but the weekend is comming so some friends come over for the fun. Tomorrow we will be going to the Everglades or boating, not sure yet. But now my friends and I talk about the Category 5 hurricane we had a couple years back and how happy we were that our concrete roof homes survived intact. WOW no stress from storms, zoning inspectors or tax assessors. Our incomes increase 5% each year, and we are really seeing good returns on our investments.....life is good!

Well as you know this is the opposite of reality. Yet if it wasn't for high taxes, and things like zoning this could be a reality for me. With the proper freedom, I could still live like this by the time I reach 40. Yet I fear it will take a massive tragedy in Florida to stem the tide of the invaders. All of our problems are caused by people. You are either the solution or part of the problem. Even the most beautiful wealthy areas are full of problems. Places where people are crammed in and have no open space are simply hopeless. Want to know why I wish for hurricanes? Just look around Florida. The beauty of the state is blocked by greed. Wherever I live I blend with nature. Who does that in south Florida? You'll never be truly happy in a place unless you bond with nature. And if you live under the control of an HOA or zoning inspectors you will never experience the true Florida.
Hey TallRick,
understand completely!!! Could be worse, you could be in chicago, were all the public housing was destroyed and all the wonderful educated NOT people living off the system came into the suburbs. guess it happens everywhere. poor florida, really, you have all of us northern transplants retireing there. Pretty much the same here. but we have no nature to speak of, except dirty neighbors that attract mice.....crime is crazy...my bro-in-law cops tell me not even to carry a purse anymore... security doors now on front and rear doors. Taxes, jeeze---how bout 2500/yr on a 40x125ft. postage stamp lot with unmentionalbles for neighbors...neighbors 4 ft' with an alley behind us....and taxes...crap have to run to indiana for tax free food and cheap fuel/gas. Our purchases are at 8.75% with a 2.5% premium cuz all the businesses are leaving due to crime/robberies and unemployed. whether on the system, dealing drugs, or just plain lazy. steel mills now defunct. then the weather....we endure 20 below air temp w/brutal wind chillls, lake effect snowstorm/blizzard road closings/summer tornados, flooding. wonder why i hate it so bad.... the g-bangers taking over, politicians/cops get paybacks to keep the crimers going.....then to sell a home, you have to upgrade and do repairs and pass inspection like it's some gated community....i'll sell as is just to get out of this god-forsaken cesspool we call the suburbs!!!! i'll trade ya, but i certainly agree with you that your paradise did for sure change. when i get down there/move....i dont think i'll even disclose to floridians that i'm from chicago. everyone thinks we are like capone. i've wanted to move for 20 yrs, but just couldnt due to family/now family has died and no more reasons to stay.... i hope things look up for you. be happy.....i know the law makers dont allow us the fun we had before....just like my poor judged pits.... i'm going to write a book someday on how discrimation is even in dogs....sad reality....I know what'll make you happy,have a margarita or two, a shot and a beer, or whatever your taste is...and watch a beatiful peacful sunset for me!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:17 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times
Sorry to hear you dont like Chicago. But dont give the whole state a bad name. I hate south Florida but north Florida is not bad, much less crime, cheaper houses, better weather, less traffic, less restrictive regulations. Many other good towns in other states. Its the big cities that have the problems with crime, high costs of living and corruption and is why I want to live in a town or small city.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,186,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Pianogal is extremely fortunate and the routine sounds purrty good. She's also very smart. :-))
I'm wondering if she would have any room to adopt a quiet (honest) middle age woman with some really cute baggage. :-)))
Why not...we could be 'sisters' ....but what's the cute baggage??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida