U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,547,856 times

Advertisements

a co-worker at work moved from fla because of hurricanes and traffic, etc... he complained of the same things some of the ppl here on the forum complain about. so, he picked up and moved to washington (state). he said that washington was miserable, and being from there, it's not like he had no idea what it was like there. last i heard, he wants his job he had here in the sunshine state.

point of the story: IF you move away, you will miss a lot of things about fla. you will be complaining about new stuff wherever it is that you moved to... i dislike the traffic and humidity in the summers too, but there are many things here that i really enjoy having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 09:06 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,264,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
a co-worker at work moved from fla because of hurricanes and traffic, etc... he complained of the same things some of the ppl here on the forum complain about. so, he picked up and moved to washington (state). he said that washington was miserable, and being from there, it's not like he had no idea what it was like there. last i heard, he wants his job he had here in the sunshine state.

point of the story: IF you move away, you will miss a lot of things about fla. you will be complaining about new stuff wherever it is that you moved to... i dislike the traffic and humidity in the summers too, but there are many things here that i really enjoy having.

Florida is a great place and has a lot to offer.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:46 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,992,549 times
I am sure there are some things I will dislike about wherever I move to, nothing is perfect. But with cheap houses and low crime up north, it suits me best.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 AM

2,227 posts, read 7,547,856 times
Default "cheaper houses and less crime up north"

i dont think that that is necessarily true. that is a very broad statement. there are parts of fla that are cheap compared to some places up north. and there can be a lot more crime-ridden areas up north too.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 AM

436 posts, read 1,213,597 times
The sad thing is you don't know what you have until you lose it and when it comes to moving you're talking money, time, aggravation, and stress. People end up moving from one place to another and missing so much of their lives looking for that perfect place. If you can try to focus on the positives, maybe you can learn to deal with the negatives, because deep down inside, we all know that Utopia really doesn't exist.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:52 AM

1,775 posts, read 7,349,802 times
Florida is a wonderful place to live aside from all the expense issues that we keep hearing about from the same people over and over. We get it already FL IS EXPENSIVE PERIOD.

So just to lighten the flack we keep hearing about why NOT to live in FL:

Where else can you watch the sunrise on the east coast and sunset on the west coast all in the same day or for that matter across the road if your in the FL Keys.

FL is the only place you can swim with the Manatees or watch a shuttle launch which i say you have got to see during a night launch. I'd post a video clip of it if i could but don't know how.

We have the only beach in Daytona you can drive on which i really love doing. I live 15 minutes from the west coast but travel 2 hours to the east coast a couple times a year.

We always have some kind of festival, concert or outdoor activity going on year round.

Yeah you got your rude people here in FL but they're everywhere you live. Mostly the rude people are probably just unhappy living here and are hopefully planning to leave or maybe they're just having a bad day. We are a tourist state so some of those cranky people you meet are probably just visiting and are aggravated because they have no idea where they are going so don't assume the whole state of FL is full of rude people.

I have to say when a disaster strikes FL you will find that everyone comes together to help each other and even those cranky people you run into might be the ones there at your side making food for you, giving you some clothing or a place to sleep for the night or even helping you pick up your yard debris.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 PM

11 posts, read 27,591 times
Florida is terrific. Oh wait, I should say the party line on this board... Florida is awful. You don't want to live here. There is more traffic, crime, pollution, angry people, taxes, than anywhere else on the planet. You will hate it here.

I will add, don't move here. Please. Pretty please, don't move here. Tell your friends to not move here.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:27 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,808,340 times
Christmas boat parades!

Sailing year round.

Outdoor evening concerts with friends, candles and picnic baskets stocked with munchies and wine

Tiki huts, steel drums, palm trees and pina coladas.

Cuban coffee.

Sending kids off to school in a hoodie VS snow suit.

Knocking off the sand from your shoes, not snow.

Flip flops and shorts.

Finding lizard eggs while gardening and putting them in a jar to watch the cutest baby lizards hatch out.

And have you ever noticed that every major event in this country has a Florida connection?! (Not necessarily a good thing, just a thang!)

Old 02-28-2007, 12:35 PM

1,247 posts, read 704,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoRaid View Post
Florida is terrific. Oh wait, I should say the party line on this board... Florida is awful. You don't want to live here. There is more traffic, crime, pollution, angry people, taxes, than anywhere else on the planet. You will hate it here.

I will add, don't move here. Please. Pretty please, don't move here. Tell your friends to not move here.
You sound bitter that not everyone agrees with you.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,264,476 times
Florida is what each one of us want it to be. If you had bad experiences with your location, traffic, crime, jobs, cost of living education, etc is not favorable for you. Some others (including myself) had excellent results and we know that all places have a positive/negative, but we look in a positive way to life.

My taxes are not high, my HOI is average, car insurance is cheap, education for my kids was superb (one in community college, the other a professional), we have crime but has not affected me or my family. Actually we feel very secure in Navarre. People are friendly, we have many friendsí military/civilians, we attend church, we are members of community organizations, and we vote in county issues, we are not afraid of hurricanes. And lastly we know that this is paradise and a small amount of location can be called as such.

We are a living part of the community, if you understand your area and have voice and vote you canít complain. I will hope that everyone will engage in the community government/social activities and make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or