U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:10 AM

331 posts, read 1,409,858 times

Advertisements

As much as I want to move to a tropical climate I certainly don't envy you Florida folks when I see articles like this. Unfortunately every new thing I read about FL lately makes me think that it's a fine place for an extended visit, but spending eternity there is a whole another matter
---------

La Nina's brewing, forecasters warn By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer
Tue Feb 27, 8:57 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Forecasters warned Tuesday that a La Nina weather pattern — the nasty flip side of El Nino — is brewing, bringing with it the threat of more hurricanes for the Atlantic.

Moderator cut: copyrighted materials.

http://www.physorg.com/news91872784.html

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 02-28-2007 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Do not post copyrighted materials on the forum; post link (I did it for you).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 07:20 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,853,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post

"I don't see it as a useful forecast," Glantz said. "Every event since they've been looking at El Nino ... surprised scientists."

Andrew Weaver, a meteorology professor at the University of Victoria in Canada, said NOAA's forecast looks good because the signs of a brewing La Nina are apparent just below the ocean's surface.
Not sure who to believe here.
Well I guess we'll just have to do what we did last season: be prepared for the worst and see what happens.
Me, I haven't envied the midwesterners their winter this year.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:23 AM

518 posts, read 1,993,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Not sure who to believe here.
Well I guess we'll just have to do what we did last season: be prepared for the worst and see what happens.
Good advice. The impact of the hurricane season in Florida (and elsewhere) will be determined by several factors (such as wind currents that can steer storms out to sea), not just a possible La Nina. Now, during the "offseason," is a good time to start making sure your hurricane checklist's in order.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:10 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,230,815 times
We can have fear of what we don't control, we must be prepare to act if a hurricane is in the horizon....

Old 02-28-2007, 05:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,752,062 times
This is putting me in a better mood. Hopefully the predictions will not end up in disappointment like last year....

Old 02-28-2007, 06:36 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,973,621 times
Dont think youll be happy if you lose your uninsured house! What are you going to do then? I could never understand why you want hurricanes.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Dont think youll be happy if you lose your uninsured house! What are you going to do then? I could never understand why you want hurricanes.
If I lose my house it's just my own fault. Besides, my taxes will drop dramatically after the area is destroyed. If I am lucky the house will survive and the invaders will stop comming. I would just pitch a tent on my rock siting in the Atlantic if the house is gone. FEMA will help....LOL! If I am no longer around then no one will have to hear my complaints or ideas for a better Florida.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,973,621 times
Thats a terrible thing! We will miss you, sweet thing if you arent around. Dont count on your taxes dropping much. If they dont drop now, they may never drop. Theres a proposal thats supposed to lower or eliminate taxes, lets see how that goes. I dont think your HOA will allow you to put a tent on your lot and do you really want to live in a tent just to stay in the Florida you dont even like?

Old 02-28-2007, 09:50 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,760,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Thats a terrible thing! We will miss you, sweet thing if you arent around. Dont count on your taxes dropping much. If they dont drop now, they may never drop. Theres a proposal thats supposed to lower or eliminate taxes, lets see how that goes. I dont think your HOA will allow you to put a tent on your lot and do you really want to live in a tent just to stay in the Florida you dont even like?
I'm so sick of hearing about the impending elimination of property taxes. This is a regressive tax- it will hit the lower and middle income folks the hardest. Ain't gonna happen IMHO.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Honestly with all the damage the real estate hype will be gone. It will depend on how bad it gets afterwards. As for putting a tent, there's no HOA here, and I doubt anyone will enforce anything when the whole island is in ruins. Would rather fight than flee. If people lose everything maybe they will realize that Mc mansions are not important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or