U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:26 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,869,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I am sorry, but I don't understand the need to defend where you live, or if you moved, or where you live now. Everyone is different with different needs and preferences. If Florida isn't right for you, that is perfectly ok, but you don't need to point out how hot it is or how much crime there is. We all get it. There is crime everywhere and some parts are worse than others. And there is hard to take weather everywhere...you have to live where you are most comfortable and happy. Whether you live in Florida, Tennessee, or the Midwest, live and be happy...but you don't need to constantly go back and forth to make a point of why you don't or won't live in a place where maybe someone else loves. That's all I'm saying...hope I didn't offend anyone...not my intent.
No, you're 100% correct...... It's a hard thing when you're trying to give an honest opinion of how a place is to perspective new residents... Some say it's great and some give a stern warning.

In a perfect world the two sides giving the two different perspectives wouldn't mingle with each other because that's where the venom comes from. But when people call you out on your opinion it makes you feel the need to defend it and that's where this all comes from and hey..... I'm as guilty as the rest of them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 07:37 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,020,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I am sorry, but I don't understand the need to defend where you live, or if you moved, or where you live now. Everyone is different with different needs and preferences. If Florida isn't right for you, that is perfectly ok, but you don't need to point out how hot it is or how much crime there is. We all get it. There is crime everywhere and some parts are worse than others. And there is hard to take weather everywhere...you have to live where you are most comfortable and happy. Whether you live in Florida, Tennessee, or the Midwest, live and be happy...but you don't need to constantly go back and forth to make a point of why you don't or won't live in a place where maybe someone else loves. That's all I'm saying...hope I didn't offend anyone...not my intent.

Margel, I love your post. I totally agree with you, but this is what I've seen happen here. There are so many people who ask about Florida and for good reason. We all love to vacation there and many want to live there. So the perspective-Floridian asks their questions and residents or ex-residents tell of their experience in Florida. Some people may have had better things happen to them in Fla. and some may not be as affected by the high cost of living as others. Both "sides" if that's what we could call it for lack of a better word~are only trying to let the newcomer know the facts as they see them. I'd find it hard to have lived in Fla. and have to leave because of the high cost of living and then paint a rosey picture to a perspective resident knowing that they'll probably be in for a financial struggle. Those are the people who are letting the questioners know of the things they may encounter if they move there. The other group is happy there and has the means to live there and they also want the questioner to know that.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:44 PM

232 posts, read 813,105 times
hiknapster, I do quite well providing roofage. Thanks! and as far as school's go there are good and bad schools everywhere. WV has some of the worse schools, crime everywhere if you look up Charleston WV the crime is high( I was shocked) because I always felt relatively safe. I was just trying to let the original poster of this topic realize he was not the only one who felt Chicago weather was cold and not for him.

Margel my point exactly, I know for my preference Chicago would not be for me....Money isn't everything, should we move to someplace like Chicago which I am sure is very nice(as a matter of fact a coworker of mine's daughter just moved there and she talks about all the great things Chicago has like food,entertainment etc) I would not be happy due to the weather no matter how much I made. I have noticed on this board that many people complain about all the high prices in FL, but yet would not live anywhere else because they love it and the weather. Other people hate it and cannot wait to move. It is all perspective. My father lived in Lakeland until he past away and was a truck driver and managed to raise 5 kids who 4 of us chose to go to college. So, just like every state you have to find your niche and love it or....move.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,403,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44 View Post
Where to start?
So many complainers here one would think crime and bad weather was invented in Florida!

First of all I'm a midwesterner (Chicago area). So I write this from a place where it's been cold, windy, snowy, dry, grey, and miserable since about October.
It will continue to be miserable in one way or another until just about before June. If you do that math, that's about 8 months of winter-like weather.
Now that said, one would think all that nasty winter weather would make one hell of a nice summer. But no, our summers are rainy, hot and humid. We get more rain than Seatle. So we have two seasons. Hot, and cold. Take your pick!
At least in Florida you have wonderful winters!
Crime? Please. Crime is everywhere, even in remote one stop light towns of Alaska. Crime didn't start in Florida, and it won't end in Florida. Sure you have your crime hot spots however every state and city does. All cities large and small are fighting crime.

COL? Are you kidding me? The whole country has become an expensive place to live. But lets compare! Florida to any-town-midwest. What does you're $200 per square foot buy you compared to the midwest?

We get tornadoes, winter snow storms, ice storms, thunder storms, wind storms, heat waves (heat index) and cold snaps (wind chills). The midwest only has a handfull of weeks during the year where you can actually enjoy the outdoors.
Florida gets? Hurricanes, tornadoes, thunderstorms, heat waves. You can pretty much spend all of a Florida winter outdoors.
You see, your cost of living may be the same, however you're getting much more for you dollar.
I haven't spent more than 30 consecutive minutes outside since October! It's been too cold to be outside. My heating bill last month was $500. How much was yours? You need heat in the winter, and AC in the summer here in the midwest. It gets hot and sticky here too!

So excuse me now, I have to go warm up my car, because in 20 minutes I'm driving home. I have to leave an hour earlier because of the weather. It was raining and 35 degrees about 3 hours ago. The rain turned to ice and the roads turned into ice rinks. Power lines are broke. So then it started to snow, and snow, and snow.
Now it's about 15 degrees with 30 MPH winds, and a wind chill of about -30 with 6 inches of snow on the ground and climbing.
I have drive carefully because in these conditions the chances of you slipping off the road or being in an accident is about 20x greater than normal.

The proceding isn't true right now, but it's a very common occurance any time from November through April. Actually that exact thing happened last week. Right now it's a balmy 35 with a wind chill of 25. This folks is warm for February!
So go ahead and complain about how "expensive" Florida is, and how "dangerous" Florida is. Just don't complain to those who'd give thier right arm for 75 degrees in January, oceanic views only hours away at any given time.

You know why cars are manufactured in the midwest? So you drive outta here!

Peace.
Well, I'm in Chicago too. I agree with you that the winters here are miserable but have to disagree with your view of Spring, Summer and Fall. From May to the beginning of November, it's generally pleasant here, with the exception of some very hot days in July and August.

The cost of living is high here, but compared to NYC or LA, we're cheaper. As for crime, well, I guess it depends on where you live. I personally think Mayor Daley is doing a great job and has improved the city in many ways, although he can't fix the weather.

I would love to be in a warmer climate as well, but I feel some of those who complain about Florida have legitimate reasons based on their own bad experiences.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,257,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
My father lived in Lakeland until he past away and was a truck driver and managed to raise 5 kids who 4 of us chose to go to college. So, just like every state you have to find your niche and love it or....move.
Yeah. How long ago was that?

The original poster was complaining about the weather in Chicago and how the people that are posting negative points on the Florida forum are just whiners, even though he has never lived in Florida.

It seems that there are a lot of people on here that have something monetary to gain by talking up Florida, or people that have all their dreams riding on going to Florida. They get highly upset when residents or former residents dash their dreams.

Same stuff that happens everyday on here.

I think people need to see for themselves.

Once again, I say, feel free to move about the country.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:39 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,538,835 times
Default heeelllloooo...

for those of you who said "chicago had a lower crime index than miami, and chicago has more ppl" is a statement that doesnt make much sense. these stats are based on per capita, meaning, it takes into consideration the number of ppl that live there. yes, miami may have a higher crime index than chicago, but having less ppl has nothing to do with that. understand?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:56 PM

232 posts, read 813,105 times
He passed away about 5 years ago from brain cancer. The rest of my family on his side still lives in Lakeland. I wasnt agreeing with the posters view on Florida, because I feel the complaints posted here are legitimate. I was just agreeing that Chicago does get very cold.

I think most people considering the move to Florida really appreciate seeing both sides of the coin per say. I know I do. I find it interesting to hear the negatives, as well as, the positives. It helps to see that Florida is just like everywhere else with the same issues.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:26 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,869,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
for those of you who said "chicago had a lower crime index than miami, and chicago has more ppl" is a statement that doesnt make much sense. these stats are based on per capita, meaning, it takes into consideration the number of ppl that live there. yes, miami may have a higher crime index than chicago, but having less ppl has nothing to do with that. understand?
Not entirely.... As cities grow crime has a tendency to get further out of control (even at a per capita basis)... There is a point to be made there, but not a major one IMO...

Old 03-01-2007, 08:34 AM

27 posts, read 150,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
I think most people considering the move to Florida really appreciate seeing both sides of the coin per say. I know I do.
I agree with this statement. However, I feel a rant coming on (not directed at you)...

I've said this in the past here, posters in this forum HARDLY represent an unbiased view of Florida. Folks posting here most likely found this forum because they are researching their moves to/from Florida or are upset about issues they are dealing with and find this a place to blow off steam.

**Very, very few that post here are happy residents that are pleased with where they live. Those happy people are out enjoying their life...not posting here.**

Sorry if this seems extreme, but it really needs to be said. I found this forum entirely by accident, and only read posts from time to time because it is amazing to see so many disgruntled people in one place...with hardly any mitigating views to balance things out. Out of all the people I work with, people that live in my neighborhood, friends and family - very rarely have I ever heard complaints about Florida. Sure, everyone is dealing with the insurance/property tax issues....but they don't let them consume every waking moment of their lives. And I'm sorry there are those out there that cannot find a way to stay here due to various issues, but people really need to look at the big picture.

I actually feel frustrated that folks in other states reading this forum get such a horribly negative, lopsided view of life here. I've lived in Florida my entire life and though I love to travel, I ALWAYS love coming home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It seems that there are a lot of people on here that have something monetary to gain by talking up Florida, or people that have all their dreams riding on going to Florida. They get highly upset when residents or former residents dash their dreams.
Or maybe, JUST MAYBE, there actually are happy people here! Good grief! Heck, I WISH I had something monetary to gain here, but the sad truth is I am fed up with the overwhelming negativity. The honest truth is that this forum mostly consists of:
1. Some optimistic soon-to-be-residents.
2. Tons of angry soon-to-be exresidents.
3. (very much in the minority) the rare well adjusted person that happens to post about how much they like life here.

This is NOT a real life cross section of people. I only hope that those doing research on moving here understand that. It's good to be made aware of negative things people here are dealing with but there is no where near an accurate representation of the postive on this forum.

Whew! End Rant /

Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 AM

58 posts, read 163,130 times
Default Points

Chicago does have great food, entertainment, museums, and sports.
That said, Chicago needs and requires such things because without them the city would be vacant. This city doesn't attract and keep people strictly on weather or any other geographical asset it boasts, well, maybe with exception of the lake.
Spring and fall are far too short and spotty, but do agree they are the best seasons we have. I will say last year was a very good year considering spring and fall were a few weeks each. But the average year only has a couple weeks of the fall and spring.

Please keep in mind regarding crime statistics with respect to Chicago. The majority of crime happens in the summer. If Chicago were to have year round mild/summer weather the city would lead in all crime statistics by a landslide. We accumulate the majority of those statistics in the short summer months, which is unreal in and of itself. Come winter everything comes to a halt, including crime to a large degree. But that's pointless because we all become prisoners in our homes.

Which reminds me of a funny story, or more like a point of interest.
I have family scattered througout Florida, transplants and natives and have been there for over 30 years. They complain about the "traffic" in certain areas in Florida. Traffic to them is not what I would call traffic.
Which is to say that all this is a difference in mindset.
Road construction anyone? We can also discuss the subtle differences.

It's all about the mindsets. It could be worse I suppose. I could be living in Michigan, where it seems it snows a foot every other day. Or Alaska, where it's normal for the temp to be -30 and dark.
All I know is that I'm really Jones'n for a round of golf or two!
And green grass. Man I just want to walk on some grass, without my shoes on. That would be nice. Or to drive my car without wearing a heavy jacket.
I want to get my gas mileage back to my summer gas mileage. I'm losing 40 miles a gallon due to the cold. That adds up at the pump. I really want to open a window and let some fresh air in my house. The windows have been sealed shut and behind plastic for the past 5 months. My car needs to be washed by hand really bad. The other day it was 40 degrees, I was able to smell moisture in the air and I heard some birds chirp, it was a great day.
You know that moisture smell in the air I'm talking about? That smell that tells you spring is only two months away? Man I love that smell.
I love that smell when you get off the plane in Florida, when you leave and it's 20 degrees and dry here, you land and you smell the air there. My grandma lives near a orange grove. Every spring is a treat. I love the plants and trees and vegatation there. Lush.
Wow. You just remotely experienced cabin fever. It's worse than the flu.

Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or