U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2006, 02:08 AM

23 posts, read 109,139 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to make the move to Fl in the near future. The question is where? South is high priced, central west is plagued by sinkholes & high insurance. We've narrowed our search to Inverness and Ocala areas and inbetween. Anyone out there with suggestions and advise. We enjoy peace and quiet iwth a little country added.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:49 AM

320 posts, read 1,435,707 times
I think if you research old threads, you'll find several discussions on the Ocala area which may be helpfu. I think both areas will provide you with a country feel. I think Ocala may provide a country feel with a little more of the conveniences found in a larger city.

We have looked a little at the Inverness area but it is a little to far out for us. You can still get some reasonable prices on property in that area.

Do an online search for property in that area and see if one area is more inline with what you want to pay. You can also research the towns and their counties and see if their statistics for crime, etc. match what you are looking for.

The other issue to consider is work. If you are retired or work from home it will not matter, but if you are not, you will need to chose the area that will provide you the most opportunities for employment.

Since I am also in the process of relocating to Florida, I am afraid I can not give you any real first hand experience with either area. I can only tell you what I have read, researched, or observed. Maybe someone else on here can tell you more.

Good Luck!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:02 AM

566 posts, read 1,871,674 times
I can't speak for Inverness..and not all of Ocala or Marion County as a whole, but what I saw in Ocala from my trip in the S.E.(more family oriented) and S.W. section (there's both but more retired people)where I spent more time, it's semi-rural it's got that country feel w/lots of Horse farms. I even had lunch at a Cracker Barrel one day, yum, yummm.... The main street there, Route 200, has Home Depot, Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Domino's, Subway's, A college, hospital, Publix's, pharmacies, strip malls, gas stations, etc. etc.... & yes even a really nice modern a/c mall called Paddock Mall that has a JC penney's, Sears, Macy's & on & on... There is also a K-mart, movie theaters and yep...even a Walmart around there. Those thrift shoppers can find a Goodwill store, too - close to the Paddock mall. It's really not as rural as one might think but has lots of space to it but yet not too, too overcrowded. How long will it last?...well, hopefully a while. But, unlike future generations to come we're lucky in the sense that at least one can still live of some of that now while we can. I'm thinking of going back again to explore the N.E., N.W., though I want acreage to be set till I die and not let what's happened to me in S.FL where I have no elbow room & feel like neighbors are breathing down my neck. The only thing I'd really miss is the proximity to the beaches as this is part of whom I am. I'm thinking of getting something with a pool, which I don't have now. But, I'm willing to sacrifice my beach for some leg room & peace.. Plus, a car can do wonders nowadays to get my "beach fix". I'll just simply have to drive myself to the beach every so often and think of it as a field trip or something.

Last edited by lulu; 06-14-2006 at 08:16 AM..

Old 06-15-2006, 04:53 AM

23 posts, read 109,139 times
Legroom and peace is what I search for. I don't want neighbors so close I can hear them flush, but I want the closeness that it's only a short drive to the hassle. Work in town, then escape. Beaches within an hour or so is fine. I don't want the traffic that tourist season brings, so beach use from May til Sept is great. I'm going down in August to check things out and was hoping for some areas to check out. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:43 AM

566 posts, read 1,871,674 times
The people I went to visit, told me check the 'hi & dri areas'. Even though that area is on much higher ground compared to S.FL few feet- 100 ft above sea level in some areas I was told - apparently, they have flood zones. Maybe, around the lake areas? I wish I knew a bit more to tell you on this issue, but when buying a house I'm sure it's easy to find out by asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida