Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,603 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and 3 kids (5,7,9) have vacationed in Clearwater for the last three years now and really enjoy it there. We are toying with the idea of moving there seeing as nothing is really holding us where we are. Our families are fairly far apart and we are both self employed and are currently selling our house with no real place to go if and when it sells. We currently live in Canada so this is deeper than just changing states. I know that vacationing in Florida is not the same as living there (as I have been reading) but we're up for a change. Any suggestions? from ex-Canadians? Renting or owning? Schools? Jobs? legal stuff? Anything goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 05:03 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,738 times
Do it! Lived in Pinellas County (St. Petersburg, to be exact) five years before coming down here, and Pinellas is SO GOOD that we thought everywhere in FL was this good. So, we moved down to Ft. Myers, and suffice it to say, that we are on our way back to Pinellas!

Clearwater traffic during rush hour can be difficult (as U.S. 19 heads north, it bottlenecks making traffic more challenging), and I understand that the area experiences more of a "season" as far as snowbirds goes, but it will be worth it.

The job market is very good, and in that area, you have so much more territory to choose from ranging from St. Petersburg all the way through New Port Richey (which would be far but do-able, if necessary) or Tampa.

I think you should rent first to get to know the area that you are living in - just in case you do not like the neighborhood you chose or you fall in love with another nearby city or neighborhood. Take many day trips to other nearby cities on Saturdays and Sundays once you are there and see if you feel more comfortable in a city other than Clearwater. Visit the Saturday Morning Market in Downtown St. Petersburg, walk around downtown, and do the same with other neighboring cities while you rent.

I prefer the beaches along Gulf Blvd. that are SOUTH of Clearwater as they tend to not be so crowded and do not feel as touristy. That's just my preference. You can still visit these south Pinellas beaches during Spring Break unlike Clearwater Beach (which becomes a playground for crazy college kids). Just my opinion.

By the way, for whatever it is worth, I worked with a Canadian, and both she and her husband LOVED St. Petersburg (which is not far from Clearwater). When I met them, they had already been in St. Pete for 10 years, and they had no regrets and have never looked back. Feel free to send me a private message if you need further assistance or have more questions or concerns. I think you should move to Pinellas. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:40 PM

251 posts, read 885,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammn View Post
My husband and I and 3 kids (5,7,9) have vacationed in Clearwater for the last three years now and really enjoy it there. We are toying with the idea of moving there seeing as nothing is really holding us where we are. Our families are fairly far apart and we are both self employed and are currently selling our house with no real place to go if and when it sells. We currently live in Canada so this is deeper than just changing states. I know that vacationing in Florida is not the same as living there (as I have been reading) but we're up for a change. Any suggestions? from ex-Canadians? Renting or owning? Schools? Jobs? legal stuff? Anything goes.
My very good friend and her family live in Canada. I met them when they lived across the street from us in New Port Richey (45 minutes from Clearwater) They also vacationed in Florida for several years before deciding to move here permanently. Two of their children were born here and after eight years of trying to make a living they moved back to Canada where they now own a large business. They now visit us here twice a year flying in on their private jet. She told me had they stayed in Florida they would have never been in the great financial position they are in now. All I can say is do your homework before you move, defiantly rent first, have a job before you move here, find out how much insurance, taxes, and medical insurance is, and check local newspapers to find out how much crime there is in the area you wish to live in. As far as schools, Florida is one of the lowest in the country although there are some good schools to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida