U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,726,019 times

Advertisements

Wasn't the dog on "the little rascals" (Our Gang) with the target face a pit bull? I have seen the experiences of those attacked by them but I had a neighbor with one for years and he was pretty much harmless. I know what you mean about cats, I have had several and one 25 pound cat I had was more like a Bobcat. He tore up a Doberman and attacked the mail lady. Remember he was just a *****cat! My current cats are totally harmless, but my last doggie was stolen. He was a gift from a friend who had to move to a no-pet apartment. I have had German Shepherd, Collie, and mixed mutts but never a pit bull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM

35 posts, read 146,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyh View Post
In the Tampa area its like Sunshinegirl said the municipalities and the developments have their own laws too. There has been quite a few maulings here lately so I wouldn't be surprised if you hear more people speaking out against that type of dog, but that's probably the way it is everywhere.

There is a dog beach at Honeymoon Island. It's $5 to get in. Dogs are supposed to be on a leash. They have a wash up area where you can clean your dog off. They have a nice beach with a bathhouse and a snackbar type restaurant on the northern end (people beach). If you go there make sure you wear water shoes, it is rocky in places (smooth rocks, but still uncomfortable to walk on). It is north of Clearwater, on Curlew Rd.
Thanks so much for the info. i certainly appreciate it.... i'll write it again...anyway i can get the word out...it's not the pit breed....its the terrible owners that make them me....makes me sick what they do to these dogs...they are truely wonderful pets....thanks a million for the info. Enjoy your day...take in some sunshine for me!!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Wasn't the dog on "the little rascals" (Our Gang) with the target face a pit bull? I have seen the experiences of those attacked by them but I had a neighbor with one for years and he was pretty much harmless. I know what you mean about cats, I have had several and one 25 pound cat I had was more like a Bobcat. He tore up a Doberman and attacked the mail lady. Remember he was just a *****cat! My current cats are totally harmless, but my last doggie was stolen. He was a gift from a friend who had to move to a no-pet apartment. I have had German Shepherd, Collie, and mixed mutts but never a pit bull.
Hey tallrick, or how bout key-largo-ricko that's what makes me so mad...pits are just what the owners make 'em..mine are such babies..well...sweet dogs.... i can't even let them go outside alone..around here "they" steal 'em and put 'em to fighting or breeding---we have a 6ft' privacy fence...last yr. caught a 'banger' with a garbage can in my yard...... my cop bro-in-law tells me what 'they' do to them..'they' hold the garbage cans on the side with treats of meat---the dogs run in the can...the can is put upright and the garbage can lid applied....then they steal your dog and the rest just really&*())(*&^^%^^^ me to no end....... 'they' grind down the pits teeth....and make them 'bait' for the mean ones... 'they' have 'breeding harnesses' and put the females in...i'd like to put 'them' in a breeding harness in the 'big house' and let big bubba give them a lesson on breeding then i was told 'they' have people that make stainless steel fangs and place over the pitz teeth so they can tear apart either their competition or the bait dogs... makes me sooooo sick..... so tell me...is it the breed or is it the owner..that's why i am such a strong advocate for pits.... Maybe i'll catch you tomorrow...hubby gonna be home soon...gotta get dinner going...(i sorta took an early retirment from my medical job) got so burned out...i'm only 47...taking a break and think i'm gonnna get a job at wal-mart and be a non-stressed employee greeter I'm in the market for something different..after my 26 yrs in my career..it's time for a change..was a bartender when i was younger..think i might go back to that...so when we get to florida i can work maybe at 'sloppy joes' in key west or perhaps some other popular tourist place....just to get by....just to get to f l o r i d a .... sorry, i know floridians hate us northern transplants..i promise to be a very good floridian!!!! no one will know i'm from chicago...i go to tanning beds.....so you wont be able to see my pasty white sunless chicago skin!!!!!!!!!!!!! have a great day!!!! enjoy your weather!!! go walk barefoot in the sand for me, while i don my snowboots and deal with the ice in my yard while i take out the dogs!!!!!!! it's been fun talking!! OH BY THE WAY...>yeah, peety on little rascles (sp) was a pit... my bullzeye looks like a chubby peety...he's white w/black spots under his hair on his pink pit skin. he has a big black eye just like him.....

Last edited by moving-soon; 03-01-2007 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: forgot one thing

Old 03-01-2007, 01:00 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,800,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving-soon View Post
thanks, i understand, if you weren't raised w/dogs, people usually dont like them... i am in a very high crime area, they are cheaper and more dedicated than the security personnel I dislike cats and kids so i understand your disdain. it's okay. that's what makes people enjoyable..we all have differ likes/dislikes. I wish you'd give a dog a chance though. Once you saw thier eyes look into your soul...you'd have a 'best friend'. dogs dont care if you are beautiful, skinny, an ugly betty, or overweight. they give unconditional love... but thanks for your insight, didnt think they would be allowed on beach....too many poor owners who dont pick up their waste..But they allow kids in poopy diapers, vomiting on sand, peeing on sand, nothing like sitting in sand where some kid just excreted with e-coli and coughing, with a runny nose giving you their germs, right!!! or better yet...screaming throwing a temper tantrum right next to you when you are sunbathing trying to get some q-time / peaceful relaxation from the daily stresses, right!!!! thanks again for your insight, appreciated!!!
hahahahaha. I like your sense of humor. However, I do have a bone to pick.
You don't like CATS?????? Shame on you! :-)
I have two dogs and 5 cats and they all love each other and the cats are also very very people cats. But, I am a sucker for any animal. All my pets are mutts, but beautiful mutts. I've also had German Shepherd and Rottweiler and poodle.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Oh moving-soon. I wish you hadn't gone into all that detail about what they do to pits in Chicago. I would be behind bars or 6 ft under. If I EVER catch anyone doing anything mean or "bad" to a animal, I would just go ballistic.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,342,972 times
Each city and county will have their own regulations as to pets and animals. There is increasing presure from many residents of florida to outlaw certain breeds. So, what is legal now might not be legal in the future. Counties are generally less restrictive than cities, so I'd look for a somewhat rural place in a county, except Dade and maybe Broward(?).

Old 03-01-2007, 01:14 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,820,959 times
Gulf County beaches are very dog-friendly. Regulations say dogs have to be leashed, but you can let them run free if they stay under your control and you leash them if there are other people/dogs approaching.
And there are many, many pitbulls here.
The weird thing is they call them bulldogs instead of pitbulls. Even the humane society calls them that.
Maybe they've never seen an actual bulldog?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Oh moving-soon. I wish you hadn't gone into all that detail about what they do to pits in Chicago. I would be behind bars or 6 ft under. If I EVER catch anyone doing anything mean or "bad" to a animal, I would just go ballistic.
I'm really sorry about the cat remark... i guess i'm just, believe it or not, scared of cats.. isnt that funny???? i do like cats though, my sister loves them... they are great lap buddies!!! i'm really very very sorry....i am a big animal lover...
Sorry about the detail about the pits...i hear so much from the rescues/humane societies i volunter for. and my law enforcment. family... and yes...i would be same as you BEHIND bars too---thats why i'm such a big advocate against the fighting... i'm always writing to legislators to make the crime a major felony.... go to the aspca website and you could help--they give form letters...for all kind of animal legislation....and use "GoodSearch.com" for your search engine...a penny goes to any charity of your choice...i'm sure they would have a cat one....
thanks for your input, and again, i sincerely apologize for that remark.... i also am really allergic to the very fine soft cat fur, it was really wrong...you won the 'bone-pick" .... cats are pretty funny too...

Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Gulf County beaches are very dog-friendly. Regulations say dogs have to be leashed, but you can let them run free if they stay under your control and you leash them if there are other people/dogs approaching.
And there are many, many pitbulls here.
The weird thing is they call them bulldogs instead of pitbulls. Even the humane society calls them that.
Maybe they've never seen an actual bulldog?
Thanks for info....probably call them 'bulldogs' so no discrimination or bad feelings toward the dog... i hate to call 'em pits...but it's a word everyone knows.. Thanks again for info...kind regards, have a great day!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:25 PM

LOL... Don't apologize. Afterwards I saw another post that said you were bitten by a cat so, it's understandable. For me, it's hard to believe that anybody wouldn't like animals (kids I can understand - duhhh :-)). But it's like some people don't like chocolate. WHAT?????????? :-)

You sound like a good, good person. I think I will take your advice and get into some sort of animal abuse/cruelty society program or something and at least try to do "something" to help avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or