Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:43 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You know nothing about me.
We don't know anything about you? lmao you're kidding right?

You've clearly and repetedly stated your disturbing position on the dog issue. You strongly believe it's ok to tease a dog and if it bites... kill it. You expect absolute perfection no matter the circumstance... or it's the death penalty. You yourself are not capable of this perfection, but you demand this of an animal? Now you want us to believe that you are really this super compassionate caring person after your previous statements? I guess wildlife are exempt from your hard-line stance. It only applies to dogs. You best stick with wildlife then.

We learn more about you with every post. Frankly the name dropping was childish. Do you think that gives your arguement credibility? lol It doesn't. It changes nothing, but just adds that sour distasteful flavor to everything you say now as does re-posting someones words from other threads out of context. In light of the "volunteer" work you say you do, your previous posts are even more sad and surprising. Very surprising indeed.

Btw, Uhhmmm, where exactly did we say a dog was more important than a child? I sure don't remember anyone saying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 07:24 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Quote:
I have seen dogs dragged by their tails, ears and everything else by small kids who don't know any better and they may try to get away but never use it as a trigger to maul a child to death. If that was the case there would be no dogs of any kind in homes with children. And yes, if I have children, I do expect if the dog gets it's tail pulled to not defend him/her self.
I hear ya!!
And, when we go to the petting zoo, my kids can do the same thing to, say, the Billygoats & monkeys It's only a dumb animal, what can it do? Just can't wait till they're old enough to visit the bear & tiger areas ... what fun!! (Then we can sue for the stupid animals' vicious behaviour when the kid teases them ... sticks a hand here or there ...)

Seriously though, the one dog breed we grew up being paranoid around was Chihauahas (sp?).
Two friends and an aunt had them. Snippy little ones, indeed! I still like them, though (they're sooo cute) - just won't get too close

Our Beagle-Terrier did NOT appreciate being touched at a specific area on his ears. But my sister insisted anyway -- even after a few warnings (growls). Well, finally, he drew blood and parents said: serves you right! (She was well old enough to know better, which made it worse).

We're not talking robots with remote controls here.
On the other hand, my wild friend had a crazy dog...

Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
We don't know anything about you? lmao you're kidding right?

You've clearly and repetedly stated your disturbing position on the dog issue. You strongly believe it's ok to tease a dog and if it bites... kill it. You expect absolute perfection no matter the circumstance... or it's the death penalty. You yourself are not capable of this perfection, but you demand this of an animal? Now you want us to believe that you are really this super compassionate caring person after your previous statements? I guess wildlife are exempt from your hard-line stance. It only applies to dogs. You best stick with wildlife then.

We learn more about you with every post. Frankly the name dropping was childish. Do you think that gives your arguement credibility? lol It doesn't. It changes nothing, but just adds that sour distasteful flavor to everything you say now as does re-posting someones words from other threads out of context. In light of the "volunteer" work you say you do, your previous posts are even more sad and surprising. Very surprising indeed.

Btw, Uhhmmm, where exactly did we say a dog was more important than a child? I sure don't remember anyone saying that.
I don't expect perfection from a dog but in many, many cases when something serious happens you find out this wasn't the first time. The dog should have been put down long ago and now something really bad has finally happened and it is too late. People just need to take responsibility and stop making excuses.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
My son went to pet the dog and was bitten and lost part of his lip, how was i suppose to control my son from petting a dog he knew 10 years? I would appreciate an answer to this.
Doesn't seem like your son did anything out of the ordinary. The dog was reacting to something about that situation though.
Maybe your friend's child has picked on it? Maybe your son stepped on it accidently or has fallen on it in the past? Maybe someone has leaned over like that to hit the dog in the past or dropped something on it? Obviously something about that situation caused he dog to feel threatened enough to lash out. There is some type of history here to discover. Good dogs do not just react like this for no reason. Why don't you and your friend try to find out what exactly is the root of it, so the dog can be trained to overcome it's fear or if it's something reoccuring (like being picked on when noone is looking type of thing) it can be stopped and taken care of? Or maybe the dog was ill?

I have a neighbor who has a couple dogs and a small girl about 4 years old. He takes great pride in training his pups and really takes good care of them. One day I heard the little girl out back playing with one of the dogs and there was some commotion so I got a chair to peak over the fences (a couple houses away) and saw her chasing the dog around the yard with a stick hitting it. The parents were not home, only the g'mother. The things kids do when noone is looking Yikes! Sorry to say I think I see a bite in her future...

Whatever is the cause, I hope you can figure it out and get things back on track. Sounds like it's a good dog if all has been well for 10 years.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:13 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
I am no longer friends with the person as I suggested she have the dog have a complete physical as to try to figure out why the dog did this, we had a Lhasa Apso who was great for ten years and turned on me one day, which was so strange for him we took him to the vet found out he had a stroke and could not see, sorry to say he died 6 months later of a massive stroke. The town where the dog that bit my son advised her to keep it away from children, which she does not, I heard through a friend, so if there is a medical condition with this dog that caused to do this she is really being stupid.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I remember that website/quiz!
And I did get several answers wrong.
Well, as I said, the pits I've met around here are really sweet and friendly.
Unfortunately, it's true that all dogs (large or small) are loaded weapons.
People who fight dogs are simply dispicable, but that is the macho mentality and reputation that has grown around pitbulls.
This is Max. He has food and shelter but spends most of his days alone in his backyard. We stop by for pets most afternoons.
Awwwww he is such a little sweetie face! I'm glad he gets fed at least but that heavy chain just breaks my heart. I don't understand why they burden these babies with a 50 chain like that. It's just so cruel. I'm sure Max is glad to have someone like you to give him some love and affection. He needs that part of his heart fed. I'm glad there are wonderful people like you to take notice and spend a bit of time with pups like this.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I am no longer friends with the person as I suggested she have the dog have a complete physical as to try to figure out why the dog did this, we had a Lhasa Apso who was great for ten years and turned on me one day, which was so strange for him we took him to the vet found out he had a stroke and could not see, sorry to say he died 6 months later of a massive stroke. The town where the dog that bit my son advised her to keep it away from children, which she does not, I heard through a friend, so if there is a medical condition with this dog that caused to do this she is really being stupid.

Oh that's so sad about your Lhasa Apso. Poor pup. I can certainly understand his distress there. That lady is being very foolish. We can only hope that the dog isn't suffering and that it doesn't happen again. What can you do? Some people are just irresponsible with their pets. Is your son ok now?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
I have seen dogs dragged by their tails, ears and everything else by small kids who don't know any better and they may try to get away but never use it as a trigger to maul a child to death. If that was the case there would be no dogs of any kind in homes with children. And yes, if I have children, I do expect if the dog gets it's tail pulled to not defend him/her self.
I wouldn't think of not having a dog, especially with children, as it teaches kids empathy and caring. I grew up with a German Shepherd. My current is a dobie mix.

I totally agree with you- I would never allow a dog to snap at my kids. Ever, under any circumstances. In more than two dozen years of having a dog in the house with my children (I've had three- one at a time), I have heard yelps maybe three times when they got too rough playing. And before I could even get up, the kids had their arms around the dog apologizing. It was an accident, they never tormented the dog. Once the dogs tail got shut in the door- again, no aggression and the kids almost cried thinking that they had let the dog get hurt.

They could (and can with our dog now) remove a slimy rawhide chewy from the dog's mouth, pick up a food dish while the dog is eating. The dog would never even curl a lip. At night before coming into my room to sleep, the dog walks to the door of my kids' rooms to see that all is well before turning in!

On the other hand, once someone went to hand something to my son in the back seat of the car when the dog was sitting beside him, the dog almost took the guy's arm off. And when we picked up a stray and my son was playing with it, it growled- but in that playing way- but our dog was all over that stray.

I don't think my kids could do anything that would make the dog hurt them. But if it bit one of my kids even once, I would have it euthanized. I love my dog and will grieve for a long time when she dies. But dogs are not people. (Often they are better than people!) But to place the same value on a dog as a person is misguided.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I totally agree with you- I would never allow a dog to snap at my kids. Ever, under any circumstances.
Well chances are that won't likely happen since your dog is trained, well cared for and loved by the kids.

Quote:
On the other hand, once someone went to hand something to my son in the back seat of the car when the dog was sitting beside him, the dog almost took the guy's arm off.
Still agree with the other poster? Your dog would be given a death sentence for that.

Quote:
I don't think my kids could do anything that would make the dog hurt them. But if it bit one of my kids even once, I would have it euthanized.
You wouldn't want to find out why this happened first? After being a great dog for so long, you would really just go with an emotional knee-jerk reaction like that? You wouldn't have any concern that it may be ill or had been hurt? There seems to be very little value placed on a dog who has been a wonderful companion to your kids in this statement. Noone is placing more value on the dog than the child, we are justly placing some well deserved value on a dog who holds very little value by it's owner.

The point is that most dogs don't attack. If they are trained, loved, well cared for and part of a stable and safe environment... they are fine. Most do nip and bite when young pups, then they stop because we teach them not to use their mouth that way. Most of these cases where kids do get bit badly is because the dog is not well treated or trained and the kids do torment them. Or the dog sees the child as a competetor for it's food because it's routinely starved or it's beaten or any number of things.

Your dog was protecting your son from the man, just as the other poster's dog was protecting his home/family. Since you agree with the poster, why not euthanize him for "nearly taking the guys arm off"? Isn't that unprovoked aggression? Shouldn't you be afraid for your kids then? After all, the guy was just handing your son something. If your dog happened to be a "pit", would you have put him down? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:44 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
Well chances are that won't likely happen since your dog is trained, well cared for and loved by the kids.

Still agree with the other poster? Your dog would be given a death sentence for that.

Your dog was protecting your son from the man, just as the other poster's dog was protecting his home/family. Since you agree with the poster, why not euthanize him for "nearly taking the guys arm off"? Isn't that unprovoked aggression? Shouldn't you be afraid for your kids then? After all, the guy was just handing your son something. If your dog happened to be a "pit", would you have put him down? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
No, the other poster didn't say that he would put the dog down if it was protecting her owners. A grown man- a stranger- should not reach into a car with children without the parent's consent. That was provocation. I still agree with the poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida