Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Putting the welfare of a dog above a child, now that is insane. It is nothing but a dog and if it bites or is a threat in any way it should be put to sleep. Some of these people and their animals are ridiculous.

Nobody ever said to put the dog before the child! Amazing how skewed your view of everything is.

They say a book is worth a thousand words. These 6 words reveal 1000 novels worth! : "It is nothing but a dog"

So you think it's fine to torment a dog until it bites then just put it down. You definately should not own any dog ...or any animal for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 10:46 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
Nobody ever said to put the dog before the child! Amazing how skewed your view of everything is.

They say a book is worth a thousand words. These 6 words reveal 1000 novels worth! : "It is nothing but a dog"

So you think it's fine to torment a dog until it bites then just put it down. You definately should not own any dog ...or any animal for that matter.
You know nothing about me. I love animals and have owned many. I even have a large snake that I rescued and have had for almost 10 years. I was once almost killed rescuing a large turtle that had wandered onto a bust road. My wife and I are contributors to and volunteers at the Wild life care center in Broward county.

In fact we have a thing coming up on April 14 with Animal Planets Jeff Corwin if people would like to join in and meet him they can contact the WLCC at 954-5247154. Now back to the subject, people with their pets can get carried away with them even attributing them human qualities. This makes them feel good and pets are a healthy thing providing companionship and often filling emotional needs people have to be needed, they depend on you for their well-being. They connect with the owner in a non judgmental way that people rarely do.

I am sitting here trying to type as my Cockatiel (rescued) is busy throwing all my pens and anything else on the desk on the floor, one of her favorite activities. Pets can be a big part of the family but they are still animals and as much as I love them at no time are they more important then a human being. And yes, a dog is just a dog and should never be considered more important the a child. If you have a dog that bites you should be capable of taking the responsibility to destroy the animal before it hurts someone. Dog ownership comes with responsibility.

Last edited by macguy; 03-04-2007 at 10:57 PM..

Old 03-05-2007, 07:17 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
http://www.tboforums.com/index.php/f...iewthread/546/

Check this thread on the tboforums on dogs. Pitbulls are ok in Tampa, as long as it's not for fighting!! This area is generally dog friendly everywhere, due to so many dog owners. Even having dog beaches!! They are great!!

Old 03-05-2007, 07:47 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
Dear Macguy,

Thank you for standing up for children! I worked in an emergency room for 10 years, I have seen may dog bites most not serious. The worst i saw was from a pit bull, It bit a child forearm, the child was not teasing it at all the child walked into the kitchen and the dog jumped on him and took off most of his forearm to the bone, I love dogs also, but I also have a personal experience with a cocker spaniel, my best friends dog bit my son in the mouth on Christmas Eve two years ago, my son di nothing to provoke the dog except bend down and pet hher and she jumped in his face and latched onto his mouth, he received 75 stiches and is missing the center of his bottom lip. So, any breed can bite. but, to put the dog before a child is the worst thing in the world in my opinion. What about the right of the child? I have seen children mistreat dogs, and that is not right either. i also know a local family who there son's face was half taken off by a pitbull, after 7 of the neighbors complained about the dog to animal control and the owner refused to keep the dog fenced in. I have had dogs all my life, I love them but, I am really afraid of what they can do when not provked, Thanks have a great day.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:19 AM

364 posts, read 526,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Putting the welfare of a dog above a child, now that is insane. It is nothing but a dog and if it bites or is a threat in any way it should be put to sleep. Some of these people and their animals are ridiculous.
"It is nothing but a dog?" That is infuriating! How can you say you love animals when you said they are "nothing". When you said a dog should NOT defend itself that is insane. IT IS THE PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY. I will say it- I hate kids and love animals. Just like some people don't like dogs- I hate kids. What I hate even more if parents who don't control there kids. And the poor defensless animal will suffer because of the parents. I find the more kids the less behaved. That is no excuse. You choose to have kids, control them. There are so many lazy parents out there. Can't hack it, dont have them. But don't make the animal pay for your kids being uncontrolled.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:23 AM

364 posts, read 526,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Dear Macguy,

Thank you for standing up for children! I worked in an emergency room for 10 years, I have seen may dog bites most not serious. The worst i saw was from a pit bull, It bit a child forearm, the child was not teasing it at all the child walked into the kitchen and the dog jumped on him and took off most of his forearm to the bone, I love dogs also, but I also have a personal experience with a cocker spaniel, my best friends dog bit my son in the mouth on Christmas Eve two years ago, my son di nothing to provoke the dog except bend down and pet hher and she jumped in his face and latched onto his mouth, he received 75 stiches and is missing the center of his bottom lip. So, any breed can bite. but, to put the dog before a child is the worst thing in the world in my opinion. What about the right of the child? I have seen children mistreat dogs, and that is not right either. i also know a local family who there son's face was half taken off by a pitbull, after 7 of the neighbors complained about the dog to animal control and the owner refused to keep the dog fenced in. I have had dogs all my life, I love them but, I am really afraid of what they can do when not provked, Thanks have a great day.
When children mistreat animals it is the parents fault! If you cannot control your your little beasts don't have them. So because it's a kid it's OK? It's not. Most serial killers started out hurting animals young. I know that is kind of a different issue. Making your kids behave and NOT stopping violent tendencies. Both important. There are lazy parents all over America who take the easy way out.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
My son went to pet the dog and was bitten and lost part of his lip, how was i suppose to control my son from petting a dog he knew 10 years? I would appreciate an answer to this.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:11 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
"It is nothing but a dog?" That is infuriating! How can you say you love animals when you said they are "nothing". When you said a dog should NOT defend itself that is insane. IT IS THE PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY. I will say it- I hate kids and love animals. Just like some people don't like dogs- I hate kids. What I hate even more if parents who don't control there kids. And the poor defensless animal will suffer because of the parents. I find the more kids the less behaved. That is no excuse. You choose to have kids, control them. There are so many lazy parents out there. Can't hack it, dont have them. But don't make the animal pay for your kids being uncontrolled.
Comments such as your have far deeper roots then this discussion. Even your use of the word "hate", probably the worst of all four letter words, as you use it here is very disturbing. You may want to seek professional help with your problems. I would really not like waking up in the morning and have that stuff running uncontrollably through my head.

This quote from one of your posts sums it up.
-----
"You know most guys just want to get a piece of ass and could care less about the woman. Being in love makes me want to get physical. Leads to that because I'm a snuggler. But I can do most of my snuggling with my 4 wonderful fur-kids. And they wont cheat on me, brake my heart or ruin my life."
------
Another quote from Msjbrent,
--------
"I hate to sound like the dume and gloom here but my belief is for some... you may never be happy. You may never really enjoy life. I once talked to another depressed woman who said "There is no me left. This disease ate it up. I don't even remember me". That is how I feel. No me- just misery.
-------
Get some help.

Last edited by macguy; 03-05-2007 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
I grew up with a Bovier des Flanders as my pet/guardian. Once, in front of the dog, my mother went to hit me, the dog went after her. My best friend could jump over the fence & my dog would let her.

I've had a Chow Chow, black/blue in the past that used to lay down between the front door and my children's bedrooms as a guard. The dog never went after anyone in the house, but don't try to come in the front door.

I do truely believe that you can never be quite sure how a dog is going to react, like a previous poster said, they don't make same kind of decisions...as in thinking it through...they react to their territory.

I also do believe that they can be totally unpredictable, even to their owners.

I had to get rid of a husky that bit me. It was not provoked, it just happened. Dog went back to the husky farm. Some are not meant to be family oriented.

Here on the gulf coast of Florida we usually hear of a pit bull mawling....usually along the lines of the dog was tortured and it just struck out at the first available opportunity. I have nothing against the breed either, it seems the owners are usually the cause of the pit problems in most of the cases we hear about.

I do not think any dog belongs off a leash in any situation, any more unless it's your own backyard. THis eliminates a lot of problems right off the bat.
More responsible dog owners lessons the problems typically encountered by laxness!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:57 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancnie View Post
http://www.tboforums.com/index.php/f...iewthread/546/

Check this thread on the tboforums on dogs. Pitbulls are ok in Tampa, as long as it's not for fighting!! This area is generally dog friendly everywhere, due to so many dog owners. Even having dog beaches!! They are great!!
Yes "Pits" are everywhere here and T.Bay is totally dog friendly.

That was a great link with alot of good factual posts. RobertS is completely correct... there is no pit bull breed. It does not exist. "Pits" are many different dog mixes which makes it even more clear that this is all emotional hysteria...

thanx for adding that.

Last edited by summergal; 03-05-2007 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida