U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 PM
 
Location: chicago suburbs
35 posts, read 150,806 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Just curious, i'm a positive advocate of 'bully breeds', i am in NO WAY for unethical horrific dog fighting. I am a pit bull advocate. I rescued 3 puppies, all different times, when they were starving and being mistreated. I have 3 WONDERFUL, CALM, OBDIENCE TRAINED, NON-AGRESSIVE, LOVING, staffordshire dogs. I'm involved in legislation against breed discrimination...i hate when those accuse pits of terrible things. ANYWAY!!!!! my question is...are there any laws against pits in florida??? They don't look like pits--ears not cropped. I know some laws require microchips, muzzles, etc. I'm a very responsible dog owner. They have all thier required immunizations...even extra ones such as lyme, bordetella(kennel cough) the other new ones gerada?? the one for if dogs drink standing water...and they also have the new vaccine for prevention of tooth decay. All my dogs are licensed though my hometown--they have thier dog tags-city licenses, they are all altered--males/female--all three are either spayed and neutered. I have heard some states require muzzels if out walking... does florida require muzzles?? Of course, my dogs are ALWAYS leashed. I really hate when others dont leash dogs....sorrry....but i've had rotts, shepherds and even little toto (pekaneses-chiwawas) sorry about spellling...come run and attack MY pits..believe it or not... i even had a couple of labs run over to me and not listen to their owners...sooooo does anyone know of any pit legislation in the state of florida??? ALSO ARE DOGS ALLOWED LEASHED ON ANY BEACHES IN FLORIDA???? . i, of course, always pit up their poopoo...cuz it'll be me that steps in it!!!! Thanks to all my reading my lengthly post, please accept apology for misspelling. AND to all Pits are Great Dogs...please contact your legislator to make animal fighting, whether pit fighting or cockfighting illegal and make pit fighters guilty of felonys, do time in the big house and give them excessive fines for doing this sickening thing.... THANKS TO ALL for being a voice to those who cant speak!!! woof woof from my pitz crew too!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2007, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 24,719,033 times
Reputation: 4969
My understanding is they are illegal in Miami-Dade county. Then again, it's illegal to enjoy life anywhere around there, the county sees to it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2007, 12:33 PM
 
1,343 posts, read 4,829,375 times
Reputation: 871
All the municipalities have their own laws, you'd have to check that particular city or county.

Don't know if it's state-wide, but homeowners insurance is a problem if you own one of the dogs on "The Bad Dog List:" Pits, Shepards, Dobies, Chows & Rotties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 PM
 
1,608 posts, read 9,320,278 times
Reputation: 963
Personally I don't like the dogs and am glad they aren't allowed. I don't like any dogs... but I especially don't like dogs like pit bulls.

As for dogs on the beach - no, they aren't allowed leashed or unleashed...at least here in the Daytona area. They aren't even allowed in cars going on the beach. I had company here two weeks ago and they wanted to take a drive on the beach and leave the dogs in the car the whole time. They were turned away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
 
Location: chicago suburbs
35 posts, read 150,806 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
My understanding is they are illegal in Miami-Dade county. Then again, it's illegal to enjoy life anywhere around there, the county sees to it!
moving-soon I'M SOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!!! KEY LARGO!!!!! you are so fortunate...my hubby wanted to move there about 10 yrs ago...had opportunity to by mobile home for 45K - absolute gulf front...brothers told him not to!!!! MISTAKE... We would love to move to any of the keys...but soooo expensive. Then 5 yrs ago, we were going to move to 'lobster tail trail" in "llittle torch key" had a mobile home for 90K...just checked...that area for broken down/nasty mobile home on about a 25/40' lot---250K!!!!!! We are worried about the pits though...we will probably have the 2..very sedate ones that will move with us..bro-in-law wants other one for protection...he's just a loud barker..which i know --no one in keys would approve of... Thanks somuch for your very quick reply...i did hear that about miami...i didnt know it was the 'whole' county thou. How 'bout the keys??? any probs with pits there... gosh. my dogs are the absolute best loving dogs...i sure wish there was no negatives about the breed. Where i live fighting is so popular..i rescued1-he was 5 wks and abandoned. the male & female was to be a breeder and male a 'bait' cuz he's so quiet and loving. g-banger fed them oatmeal. they weighed 5 lbs at approx9 wks old. the g-banger saw me walking my other one...showed my hubby the pups...we gave the g-banger what $$ he wanted..they NEVER went back to him....obviously.....GOSH, KEY LARGOOOOOO, oh please enjoy some sun, sand and a sunset for me, okay... chicago just got over the past 3 weeks from lake effect (lake michigan) foot and a half of snow, 10 below air temp w/30below wind chill, and today we have thunderstorms cuz its 33 degrees, tonite rain turn to freezing rain and then snow when it gets below 30.... oh what fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! we hate it here and cant wait to liquidate and move!!! You have "Waste Management" garbage removal there, right. I see there is one in Key West..(a bit too far for me...one road in, one road out w/hurricane) although hurricanes come slow...the tornados here are so UNpredictable and hit instantly without warning. i'll take the hurricanes!!! THANKS a million for your reply
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2007, 12:57 PM
 
Location: chicago suburbs
35 posts, read 150,806 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
All the municipalities have their own laws, you'd have to check that particular city or county.

Don't know if it's state-wide, but homeowners insurance is a problem if you own one of the dogs on "The Bad Dog List:" Pits, Shepards, Dobies, Chows & Rotties.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, most laws require them to be microchipped, altered(neuter/spay), sometimes muzzled, have insurance, current vaccines and of course leashed. something huh. When i was little i got bit on my face by the neighbors cat...i had to get rabbies shot in my spine, i was 5.....very long time ago... and my sister got a really bad dog bit from a wennie dog-dacshound. now laws against them, huh?? any of those ankle bitter dogs can be vicious too. that's why i'm against 'breed discrimination'. Thanks sunshine girl. ENjoy that sunshine for me, okay?? i'm in chicago---cold,dreary,rain/sleetand snow tonite...URGHHHHHHHHH
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
 
Location: chicago suburbs
35 posts, read 150,806 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Personally I don't like the dogs and am glad they aren't allowed. I don't like any dogs... but I especially don't like dogs like pit bulls.

As for dogs on the beach - no, they aren't allowed leashed or unleashed...at least here in the Daytona area. They aren't even allowed in cars going on the beach. I had company here two weeks ago and they wanted to take a drive on the beach and leave the dogs in the car the whole time. They were turned away.
thanks, i understand, if you weren't raised w/dogs, people usually dont like them... i am in a very high crime area, they are cheaper and more dedicated than the security personnel I dislike cats and kids so i understand your disdain. it's okay. that's what makes people enjoyable..we all have differ likes/dislikes. I wish you'd give a dog a chance though. Once you saw thier eyes look into your soul...you'd have a 'best friend'. dogs dont care if you are beautiful, skinny, an ugly betty, or overweight. they give unconditional love... but thanks for your insight, didnt think they would be allowed on beach....too many poor owners who dont pick up their waste..But they allow kids in poopy diapers, vomiting on sand, peeing on sand, nothing like sitting in sand where some kid just excreted with e-coli and coughing, with a runny nose giving you their germs, right!!! or better yet...screaming throwing a temper tantrum right next to you when you are sunbathing trying to get some q-time / peaceful relaxation from the daily stresses, right!!!! thanks again for your insight, appreciated!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2007, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Key West,FL
45 posts, read 291,441 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving-soon View Post
Just curious, i'm a positive advocate of 'bully breeds', i am in NO WAY for unethical horrific dog fighting. I am a pit bull advocate. I rescued 3 puppies, all different times, when they were starving and being mistreated. I have 3 WONDERFUL, CALM, OBDIENCE TRAINED, NON-AGRESSIVE, LOVING, staffordshire dogs. I'm involved in legislation against breed discrimination...i hate when those accuse pits of terrible things. ANYWAY!!!!! my question is...are there any laws against pits in florida??? They don't look like pits--ears not cropped. I know some laws require microchips, muzzles, etc. I'm a very responsible dog owner. They have all thier required immunizations...even extra ones such as lyme, bordetella(kennel cough) the other new ones gerada?? the one for if dogs drink standing water...and they also have the new vaccine for prevention of tooth decay. All my dogs are licensed though my hometown--they have thier dog tags-city licenses, they are all altered--males/female--all three are either spayed and neutered. I have heard some states require muzzels if out walking... does florida require muzzles?? Of course, my dogs are ALWAYS leashed. I really hate when others dont leash dogs....sorrry....but i've had rotts, shepherds and even little toto (pekaneses-chiwawas) sorry about spellling...come run and attack MY pits..believe it or not... i even had a couple of labs run over to me and not listen to their owners...sooooo does anyone know of any pit legislation in the state of florida??? ALSO ARE DOGS ALLOWED LEASHED ON ANY BEACHES IN FLORIDA???? . i, of course, always pit up their poopoo...cuz it'll be me that steps in it!!!! Thanks to all my reading my lengthly post, please accept apology for misspelling. AND to all Pits are Great Dogs...please contact your legislator to make animal fighting, whether pit fighting or cockfighting illegal and make pit fighters guilty of felonys, do time in the big house and give them excessive fines for doing this sickening thing.... THANKS TO ALL for being a voice to those who cant speak!!! woof woof from my pitz crew too!!
I love dogs! I lived in Venice for about a year, there is a beach called Casperson (sp) they allow dogs on and off the leash my dogs loved it, Miami Dade is the only I know of that does not allow pits at all. Renting or buying a home and getting insured could be a problem, pits are on the so called list of bad dogs. I have 2 Boxers and I was questioned pretty hard about my dogs even though they are not on the list. I live in Key West now and dogs are not allowed off the leash on public beaches. They do have a dog park in Key West that is nice, but a pit would be frowned on because of reputation. I know its not fair for the good ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2007, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Citrus county, FL
97 posts, read 403,150 times
Reputation: 57
In the Tampa area its like Sunshinegirl said the municipalities and the developments have their own laws too. There has been quite a few maulings here lately so I wouldn't be surprised if you hear more people speaking out against that type of dog, but that's probably the way it is everywhere.

There is a dog beach at Honeymoon Island. It's $5 to get in. Dogs are supposed to be on a leash. They have a wash up area where you can clean your dog off. They have a nice beach with a bathhouse and a snackbar type restaurant on the northern end (people beach). If you go there make sure you wear water shoes, it is rocky in places (smooth rocks, but still uncomfortable to walk on). It is north of Clearwater, on Curlew Rd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2007, 01:28 PM
 
Location: chicago suburbs
35 posts, read 150,806 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfromredtide View Post
I love dogs! I lived in Venice for about a year, there is a beach called Casperson (sp) they allow dogs on and off the leash my dogs loved it, Miami Dade is the only I know of that does not allow pits at all. Renting or buying a home and getting insured could be a problem, pits are on the so called list of bad dogs. I have 2 Boxers and I was questioned pretty hard about my dogs even though they are not on the list. I live in Key West now and dogs are not allowed off the leash on public beaches. They do have a dog park in Key West that is nice, but a pit would be frowned on because of reputation. I know its not fair for the good ones.
Thanks for your positive reply i will keep the info for my file of 'places' we can go to....boy, key west is looking bettter and better....so expensive though!!!!!!!!!!! but no price to high for paradise and a wonderful life!!!! Thanks for realizing there are good pits. i try to spread the word as much as ii can..boxers are great dogs too....i am such a dog advocate!!! but then again, no kids...so you know, i have some really spoiled dogs!!! they even have pet insurance!! if you need it try ....... www.petshealthplan.com..through (broken link) aspca..it's just like BC/BS. they do claims and repay quickly. Thanks again.....enjoy some sunshine, sand and a sunset or two for me!!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top