Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Is this TANaples?

Adding to your ever-growing list of complaints about Florida probably isn't the best way to constructively "deal" with a place you do not like. Focusing on the miserable with such intense hatred will guarantee that your (thankfully) short stay in the state will be nothing short of a miserable experience. Plus, the negativity will rub off on others. I hope the goal of posters on C-D isn't to make others miserable along with them?

Self fulfilling prophecies and misery loves company and all that, ya know?

No, her daughter. People on here, on any forum on C-D, don't TRY to make the others miserable. There are just simply some people who don't like Florida and want to vent about it. The number of people has grown a lot since I first came on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 04:55 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Default No, I DEPISE Florida and it's weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No, seriously, you can ALWAYS leave. I don't care if your husband's job "made" him come. You CAN LEAVE. You SHOULD LEAVE. Seriously. Find another job. If your husband is experienced, he should be able to find another job in a colder clime.

Unless someone has a gun to your head, your husband can find another job, and move you back closer to your family, which I think all of us here suspect is the real source of your misery living here. (If you were shipped off to Alaska, you'd be miserable because you don't have any family around, despite those frigid temps you crave.)
Unless I want to divorce my husband, that is the only way I can move back. My family? I only have one daughter now in NY. My older daughter moved down here two weeks ago. Not because she wanted to come here, but because she could not survive on her own in NY. She now is living with us.

As my daughter said, it is not easy getting a job when you are over 40, let alone 60. We know several men in their 50s, who DO know the latest technology, and are out of work. Why? Because companies can hire somebody younger, at half the salaries, who have the same knowledge.

Some of you seem to forget that I lived in Florida before 30 years ago. I left and never intended to come back. Actually, I only came back here 3 times in 30 years. My husband and younger daughter came many times and I stayed home with my older daughter, who is now here. We didn't want to come here. Ironic isn't it? Misery loves company since we are both now here together. When the two of flew down together from NY, she said as she got on the plane, "I WILL BE BACK". I feel the same way. I do not want to die in Florida. It hasn't reached that point yet, but someday if it comes right down to it, I may have to leave my husband and go back for my sanity. I try as much as I possibly can to totally ignore the palm trees and 80 degrees, but it is very, very difficult. I even considered working an overnight shift, so I would not have to be awake in the days and see all that. As another poster said of herself and me, I/we just don't belong here. I am the proverbial fish out of water.

The only thing I can say is that unless the WEATHER is the MAJOR reason for moving to Florida, do NOT move here. Jobs, family, whatever, will not compenstate for it.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:10 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,532,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
LOL, complaining about NC/SC... Most Floridians would love to switch places. Well, mostly natives probably would, new residents from NY probably prefer FL. When you consider the people, the crime, the traffic, etc... NC offers a better (overall) quality of life than FL... but I guess NC/SC isnt for everyone.

"but I still want out of this part of the South."

What does that mean, if you dont mind me asking? I know the south isnt for everyone. But if you think people in NC are rude, I hope you aren't considering a move to New Yo ... I mean FL.

Change places with NC or SC? then they have NOT done their research.
It cracks me up when people think NC and SC are a haven.

SC #1 worst schools in entire USA, yes we beat out Arkansas and Mississippi
SC one of the worst states for medical care.
SC one of the most deadliest states for automobile crashes (not to mention over 1/2 the state drives without insurance) One of the highest states for insurance on autos.
Not to mention they can be 15 and drive...
SC your daughter's age of consent is now 15 (THIS JUST PASSED THIS YEAR)
One of the favorite magazines down here and I KID YOU NOT "Gardens and
Guns"
LOTS AND LOTS OF CRIME
LOTS AND LOTS OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS
No street lights.

NC isn't much better and or worse in some scenarios.

Why do I want to leave, let's use the one example.
The magazine "GARDENS AND GUNS" kinda explains it all.

RUDE? honey you ain't see rude till you been in Charlotte NC at rush hour.
They got those little Christian fish things on their cars, while they pass you by giving you the finger at 85 mph.

I couldn't get out of NC fast enough. I understand NY has lots of residents in Florida, I also understand there are lots of people from the NE and Midwest...I identify with Midwestern culture, not Southern culture.
I'd also like to find someplace to go where you don't have to be under the age of 30 something (other than church).

Old 12-16-2008, 06:19 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,532,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Change places with NC or SC? then they have NOT done their research.
It cracks me up when people think NC and SC are a haven.

SC #1 worst schools in entire USA, yes we beat out Arkansas and Mississippi
SC one of the worst states for medical care.
SC one of the most deadliest states for automobile crashes (not to mention over 1/2 the state drives without insurance) One of the highest states for insurance on autos.
Not to mention they can be 15 and drive...
SC your daughter's age of consent is now 15 (THIS JUST PASSED THIS YEAR)
One of the favorite magazines down here and I KID YOU NOT "Gardens and
Guns"
LOTS AND LOTS OF CRIME
LOTS AND LOTS OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS
No street lights.

NC isn't much better and or worse in some scenarios.

Why do I want to leave, let's use the one example.
The magazine "GARDENS AND GUNS" kinda explains it all.

RUDE? honey you ain't see rude till you been in Charlotte NC at rush hour.
They got those little Christian fish things on their cars, while they pass you by giving you the finger at 85 mph.

I couldn't get out of NC fast enough. I understand NY has lots of residents in Florida, I also understand there are lots of people from the NE and Midwest...I identify with Midwestern culture, not Southern culture.
I'd also like to find someplace to go where you don't have to be under the age of 30 something (other than church).
Oh and something else I forgot to mention TAX HAPPY NC, highest state taxes in the South. Personal property tax EVERY YEAR on you car both NC and SC. And as far as weather goes? SC and some parts of NC are hotter every single day in the summer than Florida is...did you know that? Watch the weather channel this summer. Last summer wasn't bad but the 2 summers before we had many days 100 plus.
So if they want to escape hot summers? stay out of SC for sure.
Weather and it's hotness in the summer doesn't bother me, otherwise I wouldn't live here, but for others wanting an escape from summer heat, I wouldn't recommend SC nor parts of NC.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 PM

727 posts, read 1,829,280 times
I have lived in both ... NC and FL... and some of the things you stated couldnt be further from the truth. I have to eat dinner, but will get back to them later on tonight. The illegal immigrants, the rude people at rush hour, the tax situation, hot summers and automobile accidents in particular.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,552,233 times
I love my life here. I also find it amusing that the very people who hate it here continue to post on the Florida boards. If I was that miserable in Florida, I think I'd switch threads and look for online happiness elsewhere.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,328,844 times
There are unhappy people everywhere. Florida-educated people seem to be lacking something... a certain restraint where they just open their mouths and 'whatever' comes out. People in other parts of the country are just better able to hide their anger and unhappiness.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:44 PM

259 posts, read 837,164 times
I am unhappy with my decision but I don't hate all of Florida. Just South Florida (aka Palm Beach county and below). But that's just me. It's not a place for your average young professionals to get on their feet and it's lacking in multiple opportunities to save and live a decent lifestyle. The people who love it are probably people who don't have to deal with those "average" everyday type stresses. They are too busy sailing away in their boats and have the $$$ to enjoy the lifestyle that they want. They can also actually AFFORD to be around other "happy" people because those people that they run into are also doing "happy" things.
I think most (not all) of the stresses stem from money, and then they trickle down and make you focus on the other things, like crime,weather, and bad traffic. It's like living in a sexless marriage.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 PM

727 posts, read 1,829,280 times
"People in other parts of the country are just better able to hide their anger and unhappiness."

Are you serious? You dont think many people in FL, particularly from certain areas of the N.E. dont do a good job of letting people around them know that they are unhappy about something.

I explain in my posts what I am unhappy about. I dont say "all of FL" and generalize. I say "in S FL".... or "in Orlando".... or "in some parts of FL"...

Old 12-17-2008, 05:06 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,509,560 times
I don't understand how people complain about the weather in Florida! Did you not know that it's doesn't snow here for those complaing about the Christmas like feeling? Or that it doesn't get really cold either ?
If you like the change of 4 seasons why on Earth did you move to a sub tropical state?
My family left New Jersey 3 decades ago partially because of the weather. There is nothing fun about walking through slushy wet snow and 10 degree temps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida