Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you enjoying the bust?
Yes 13 36.11%
No 22 61.11%
Undecided 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:36 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times

Advertisements

Post whether or not you're enjoying the bust.

I like it; party on Wayne, party on Garth.

Last edited by Muggy; 12-19-2008 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:09 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
I think you need to explain yourself a little better.

Are you happy that people that were just trying to buy their first home have lost maybe everything they saved up over the last few years?

Are you happy that some investors that had previously made alot of money are now losing money?

I know it really can't be that homes are now affordable for you because they were that same price a few years back.

Did you not buy then and you were kicking yourself but now they are back down?

What makes you happy about it?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I am not neccesarily happy, but I feel a little better now at not being able to invest back then... I always thought the prices were way out of range.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Well, I'm not necessarily happy for the people who are losing their houses, BUT things were getting totally out of line. People were complaining because of the high taxes on their house. They complained about the high cost of insuring their house. Hello!!!! When the value of a house that used to be 100,000 instantly becomes valued at three times that much, what else could you expect? How did people think it would continue? How could've they let someone convince them that they should buy now cause the house would be worth double in a few years? Where was all the $$ supposed to be coming from?

Old 12-20-2008, 02:56 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
The bust still has a long way to go.

Production - consumption = saving + investment

Recklessly throwing resources at a center of consumption (housing) through debt is NOT investment.

The bust will be successful when policymakers stop focusing on symptoms (i.e. the drop in housing prices is the cause of the recession) and refocus on

production - consumption = saving + investment

The Florida economy and the US economy need jobs that are competitive in and add value to the international economy.

Housing does NOT do that.

The bust still has a long way to go.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The Florida economy and the US economy need jobs that are competitive in and add value to the international economy.

Housing does NOT do that.
Bale, can you further explain this?
As for me personally, I knew the bust needed to happen, but I am not particularly getting any *enjoyment* out of it.
I really hope for a better world for my kids--everyone's kids--to inherit.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Bale, can you further explain this?
As for me personally, I knew the bust needed to happen, but I am not particularly getting any *enjoyment* out of it.
I really hope for a better world for my kids--everyone's kids--to inherit.
This forum is not the proper venue for a complete course in economics. But let me put it in a few pithy maxims.

In this country, and perhaps in Florida in particular, we have too many pencil pushers and not enough pencil makers.

In the US economy, featuring an aging population and an increasingly obsolete transportation and zoning law paradigm, too many resources are allocated to consumption and relatively unproductive uses, while in other countries new resources are being mobilized and put to relatively productive use.

In the US economy, value is destroyed when an excessive amount of resources is allocated to inefficient housing and motor vehicles that a critical mass can either not afford or does not want, or both, though their choices are confused by reckless monetary policy.

And again, the US economy is a stagnating or dwindling pie, and a few have manipulated policy to grab a bigger slice of it, while encouraging the many to squander the slice that they already have, tricked by money illusion.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:26 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
I'm really not sure how anyone could fine any joy out of this:

msnbc.com Video Player

No matter who foreclosure is happening to, it's pretty heartbreaking.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I'm really not sure how anyone could fine any joy out of this:

msnbc.com Video Player

It's heartbreaking to produce and save prudently only to see it squandered, against one's will, by sycophant deadbeats and their political whoremasters.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:06 AM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Why is it heartbreaking? Just move into a rental. It's not that hard, you put your crap in your car and go to one of the many foreclosure-friendly complexes offering a free month's rent; they're everywhere. It seems like a great time to walk away since there is no social stigma to it anymore. Housing is crashing and there is nothing to do but wait for it to bottom out.

I take joy out of all of this because I am a responsible, prudent citizen that will benefit from living within my means. Any municipality would be grateful to have a stable person like me on their role. For every tax deadbeat, there is a police officer whose livelihood is at risk. I say get the deadbeats off the tax roles and put a responsible owner in there. Foreclosure is a good thing, see?

Last edited by Muggy; 12-20-2008 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida