U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 09:15 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,941,496 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Being a new Florida homeowner, I have much to learn.
Here are some of my dumb questions...

1) When and how often do you pick oranges off an orange tree? We were just down there, and picked all the valencia oragnes off our tree, because we were told we should, because it would be budding soon with blossoms, which we were starting to see.

2) How important is it to have both a mowing service and a lawn treatment service. I plan on setting this up, I need to hire a lawn fertilizer, pesticide service. i'm told this is important because of cinch bugs....

3) Do humidistats really work? I had one installed in case we had months of no rents, so mold would not grow. I set it to come on at 65% humidity. I'm told that you cannot have mold as long as you keep your air below 65% humidity.

Well, I have many more questions, but I'll just ask a few at a time. thanks!!

Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,796,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Hello all,
Being a new Florida homeowner, I have much to learn.
Here are some of my dumb questions...

1) When and how often do you pick oranges off an orange tree? We were just down there, and picked all the valencia oragnes off our tree, because we were told we should, because it would be budding soon with blossoms, which we were starting to see.

2) How important is it to have both a mowing service and a lawn treatment service. I plan on setting this up, I need to hire a lawn fertilizer, pesticide service. i'm told this is important because of cinch bugs....

3) Do humidistats really work? I had one installed in case we had months of no rents, so mold would not grow. I set it to come on at 65% humidity. I'm told that you cannot have mold as long as you keep your air below 65% humidity.

Well, I have many more questions, but I'll just ask a few at a time. thanks!!

Frank D.
I'm pretty dumb, so will answer your (not so dumb) questions-

January/February is the best time to pick. The fruit really needs some cold weather to sweeten it. You will love the smell of the orange blossoms this summer! Need to make a trip down just for that!

You can get a lawn service that does both or two different ones. There are pros and cons to both, but being an absentee owner, you need to make sure that they know someone will be checking the property. And/or someone that you trust.

Make sure that the lawn service doesn't cut the grass too low. You want it to be higher to preserve water and don't water too much. Make those roots reach down into the soil.

Since you'll be out of state, I'd go with service people that your neighbors use- find a neighbor with a nice lawn and use the same folks that they do.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:08 AM

9,869 posts, read 20,151,295 times
I don't know what a humidistat is.

I have central air. I was away twice during my stint down here for over three months each time, once in fall and once in summer, and I never had mold. I just left the a/c set at 80 degrees during the hot months and never had a problem. From what I've been told, that's all that is necessary to keep humidity under control inside the house.

To be honest, when I lived in Savannah, I only had window units which I ran only at night and on the hottest days. It's extremely hot and humid there. Never had mold on anything, except on my leather boots in the back of the closet. That I wiped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or