U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:39 PM

727 posts, read 1,189,588 times
"If you haven't lived here in the past 8 years or so, you honestly don't know what it's like any more."

^^^In my views and my perspective, it has gotten worse.

TriMt7, how old do you think I am if you think I seem younger than I really am? By saying I graduated from college, does that mean that I must be that old? Or if I say I lived somewhere for half my life, that could mean 10 yrs, 15 yrs, whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 07:42 PM

727 posts, read 1,189,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
That's B.S.

A native is a native and knows how things are in their home state and many will continue to read about the current events in their towns, cities, and states.

If you're the poster child for modern day Florida then I'm damn glad I left.
Thank you TNRyan. I have stated before that I didnt live in S FL anymore, so what? That's supposed to mean I dont know what its like anymore? I lived there before, visit family who still lives there, etc... what else do I need to know what S FL is like? If I were from Memphis TN, do I need you or anyone else to tell me how bad the crime is and the poverty level is there? Dont you think I'd know if I have family there whom I visit, and I spent yrs there? What's the difference?

Old 12-28-2008, 12:32 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,152,611 times
Wow, there are some people in this thread that really need to stop drinking the florida kool-aid.

Florida is much worse off than the national average.

Education: You can quote as many numbers as you want to, but when you compare a public FL education to one from the NE or Midwest, it doesn't even come close.

Hurricanes: Yes other states get hit by hurricanes, but statistically, FL gets hit more often and by stronger storms due to its location.

Unemployment: As someone else already mentioned, it is much, much worse in FL...bordering on Michigan levels. This is not just due to the real estate bust...it is the fact that businesses are finding better places to exist (cheaper costs, better labour).

Homeowners Insurance: When the vast majority of homeowners are having to result in being insured by Citizens, something is very wrong. Especially since Citizens will very much be unable to pay off its claims during the next cycle of large monetary damages.

State Bankruptcy: Many other places are having this issue, but not many other places besides Florida have the government and population not willing to do/sacrifice much to correct their path.

Oh, and you know when the other sunshine state (South Dakota) has more white collar jobs, is more affordable, and better overall to live in than FL....that something has to be extremely wrong.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:57 AM

12,360 posts, read 7,951,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Florida didn't lose population? What in the earth are you talking about? More people left than came in, PERIOD. That means population loss. As for the other stuff about NC and SC. What is the point in arguing that? This entire country is in a mess. Some places will fair better than others. Florida will not be among those who fair well as can be seen by the high unemployment rate.

There is depopulation as has been reported by the chamber of commerce and the census bureau. You can make up imaginary stats in your mind all you want but it is what it is. The argument I and others have made is people will continue to move to places with job oppurtunities and in other cases where family is.

*ps*

Just looked at that CNN site. Its crazy, Tennessee had a higher unemployment rate than Florida back in July and now Florida surpassed it. Interesting indeed. I remember Illinois was also higher than Florida back then and now they are tied.

Anyone quoting projections is clueless. They also projected home prices would continue upward, business would grow and blah blah blah. They are pretty low on the projection versus reality ratio.

Florida's population increased by 128,814 or 0.7 percent from July 1, 2007, to July 1, 2008, bringing the Sunshine State's estimated population to 18,328,340. florida still had the 6th largest population number increase in the country, although the percentage gain was smaller.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:28 AM

5,643 posts, read 4,014,828 times
I just heard of another couple from NY who split up and moved back. His parents were our former neighbors. The parents moved here for the "lifestyle" and the son and his family moved here shortly after his parents did. The parents own a business in NY which they operate from home in Florida. Their son worked in entertainment marketing in NY. He got a job at a pool company in Florida at half his NY salary (well over $100,000). This put a severe strain on the marriage and she packed up and went back to NY with the kids. He, too, is back in NY trying to get a similar job to the one he previously had.

Besides the money, we also heard that they both missed their former lifestyle. Their "Florida lifestyle" paled in comparison to what they had in NY which was very high profile hobnobing with the rich and famous. Subtract 4 Florida residents.

Because of financial problems, my older daughter came to Florida to live with us. I can say with 99.9% certainty that she, too, will go back to NY whenever the opportunity to do so presents itself. Just about everyone on this board knows I feel the same way. I suppose this is why Florida is such a transient state. You can say people are moving here, but how many of these "Floridians" are going to LEAVE at some point in time?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:54 AM

1,556 posts, read 2,658,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
No, when have I ever said I lived in TN? I said have YOU ever lived in TN/NC/SC to make the comments you are making?
I'm asking because if one needs to have lived in Tennessee to make comments about Tennessee, then you are also barred from making comments about Tennessee.

Why are we not requiring logic/critical thinking courses in high schools? Oy vey.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Florida didn't lose population? What in the earth are you talking about? More people left than came in, PERIOD.
That would only be about migration. It wouldn't necessarily be the case that if more people moved out than moved in that the state had a population loss. You would also have to factor in births and deaths.

The article that was quoted earlier wasn't that clear to me--but it just seemed to not be worded very well.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
A native is a native and knows how things are in their home state and many will continue to read about the current events in their towns, cities, and states.
LOL--the fact that someone was born somewhere gives them some supernatural source of knowledge about a place so that no matter how long it's been since they've spent time there, they necessarily know what it's like now?

You guys need to at least get your claims about residency requirements for legitimately making statements about a location straight so that you don't constantly contradict yourselves, etc.

The deal is that you want to make it so that your claims have a special status that others' claims do not have. You want to claim special knowledge. But you'd need to make your criteria for that something that will be consistent and that will exclude the people you want to exclude. That's not so easy to do.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
"If you haven't lived here in the past 8 years or so, you honestly don't know what it's like any more."

^^^In my views and my perspective, it has gotten worse.

TriMt7, how old do you think I am if you think I seem younger than I really am? By saying I graduated from college, does that mean that I must be that old? Or if I say I lived somewhere for half my life, that could mean 10 yrs, 15 yrs, whatever...
Based on various things that you've said--about "old Florida", etc., combined with trying to give yourself special status over me as if you lived in South Florida far longer than I have, combined with the fact that if you're young and have been all the places you have we're going to be getting lucky if you even spent 10 years in South Florida and/or Orlando and/or North Carolina, combined with my own knowledge of how old I am, the exact years that I've spent in Florida, the total number of years I spent in Florida, etc., I'd guess that if you're not at least 60-65, you're basically doing an impersonation of Jim Carrey in an infamous early scene in Ace Venture: Pet Detective.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 AM

14,679 posts, read 15,934,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
LOL--the fact that someone was born somewhere gives them some supernatural source of knowledge about a place so that no matter how long it's been since they've spent time there, they necessarily know what it's like now?

You guys need to at least get your claims about residency requirements for legitimately making statements about a location straight so that you don't constantly contradict yourselves, etc.

The deal is that you want to make it so that your claims have a special status that others' claims do not have. You want to claim special knowledge. But you'd need to make your criteria for that something that will be consistent and that will exclude the people you want to exclude. That's not so easy to do.
Indeed. I was born in NE New Jersey. I moved to Florida when I was seven.

I am 10x more qualified to talk about life in Florida than life in NE New Jersey, which has changed dramatically in the past 5 years, let alone the almost twenty since I lived there.

Similarly, I grew up in a town a little north of here, but due to the rapid change in the eight years since I've actually "lived" there, my opinion is not nearly as useful as someone who lives there NOW.

The "you haven't lived in both places to compare" is an EXCUSE because they've been called out on the fact that the "facts and stats" on the ground do not necessarily equate to their ideas of what they remember or they themselves experience. They will claim based on their "feeelings" and "experiences" that ... and that's fine. So long as they QUALIFY their FEELINGS and SUBJECTIVE NOTIONS as such, it's ok to say, "Well, I live in Camden, NJ, and I lived in Buffalo, NY too, and I think the crime in Buffalo is worse, regardless of what the stats say..."

And of course, it's just fine to say that, but at some point, it gets absurd. We had two individuals in this thread alone state that people can move (ostensibly) to SC and TN and have "less crime," "Better schools," and "better job opportunities".... only to find out that in reality (facts and figures wise), that's not necessarily the case.

It's the same battle raged out over and over on this forum. I have a good life in South Florida. I understand others may have it worse than me, but instead of pretending that everything is great, I intend to always present a different point of view from the typical "oh my god it's so awful I could just DIE" chicken littles on this forum. I'd give up, but then that'd be leaving an otherwise useful forum to those who offer nothing but subjective negative personal feelings for a place they have no intention on caring about once their ticket to shangrila comes in the mail. I say, good riddance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida