Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,674 times

Advertisements

i lived in marathon for few years and left in 2000 september love it lived mile marker 53 1000 dollars rent for me my father and brother he paid it all we just partied and went diving and fishing everyweekend
if you are smart and you want to have fun in the keys find a place to rent there are places that r not that expensive and if you get to know a fishery you can sell them snapper and grouper they will pay good and if you know chum guy you can catch cuda and shark and amber-jack anything you don't eat sell to him plus get free chum money from fishery and you pay for gas free fishing every weekend for three years straight i could hold my breath for 3 minutes did so much swimming 7 mile Bahia Honda marathon conch key islandmorada big pine key west doesn't matter just be active and you ll love it i did regret leaving but i was young had no say in it now i have family of two plus wife i will be back there after school 40 foot morgan out island ketch love forever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWildRu View Post
Fishing and drinking,thats it.

What else does a man need?

Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 PM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Just from my personal experience I don't care for the Keys. It takes a special person to live there full time. My sister-in-law lives in Key West part of the time as well as Washington DC and San Francisco. She is a retired attorney and can afford it and really loves the Keys. But as much as she likes it, a few months at a time is all she can take before she heads out. My wife's niece also lives in one of the upper keys. She is a bartender and does real well but the same thing as her aunt. She is always making the drive up to Fort Lauderdale to get out of the keys for a while. I think you can get nuts down there after a while.

A. Limited access
B. Expensive (for what you get)
C. Not much to do outside of watersports/fishing/drinking!

Yes it takes a special person to live there, but then again it is just like the Bahamas (same issues as A,B and C). Lots of folks migrate to "paradise" thinking Jimmy Buffett will be strumming his guitar under a bridge with the locals telling fishing stories!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturntoFlorida View Post
I was somewhat disappointed with the Keys. I had a great job offer at a firm in Islamorada. The weather is outstanding down there and few areas can match its beauty. But my wife and I looked in vain for property, and simply couldn't find it. Even at 300,000-400,000, the selection was mostly older trailers (paying for the lot, not the house). Many people buy campers or houseboats or make the commute from Homestead.

Also, one thing we were disappointed in were the quantity and quality of beaches. The keys offer a very laid back lifestyle, great food, weather, and fishing. For that, there is always a price. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Note the date on this post......2007

You can buy a house now for the cost of those trailers back then!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
As you first asked over three years ago. How's it going?
OP was 2007, the quote was 2010......now it is 2012.

Safe to say if the kid's parents bought anything in 07, they lost 40-50% of their money (or the bank's money ) on that purchase!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM

8 posts, read 33,457 times
I grew up in Indiana where everything is cheap, but it's Indiana!?!?! There is no comparison to Key West and it's worth every penny!! Where else can I see the sun rise and set over the ocean everyday. Plus there is no where in the US that has water like the Florida Keys (not even Hawaii). Clear, warm & shallow!! The Florida keys are totally different than the rest of Florida, which pretty much sucks! It is the PRICE of PARADISE!!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:09 PM

8 posts, read 33,457 times
Houses are still expensive, but half the price they were 5 years ago!! Buy NOW!!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:41 AM

814 posts, read 2,042,518 times
Its not the cost of the house but the insurance that will git ya!!! Usually more than the mortgage payment!! if you buy an older home!! Monroe county has the highest rates in all of Florida!!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,250 times
Thinking of moving my young family to the keys, my husband and i don't make a lot but we don't need much either, are there any regular jobs in the keys? How are the schools and the crime? Do you think a young family could make it there?
Jessica G.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,559 times
Default Florida keys cost a bit above average

I hate when people say I am moving somewhere cheaper, i can save more on my living expenses.
If you think about that statement and how short minded that type of thinking is it makes no sense.
Think about this, if you were to save on your power, water, grocery, bills etc.... You can only save so much. If you maxed your saving out it could only reach $0 which isn't going to happen, And in the process of saving there comes a point when you cross a line from saving to suffering. You don't run your A/C , you eat cheap nasty non nutritional food, cheese crackers etc.. Who wants to live live like that? Sit around sweating all day, Hungary. It affects your mind over time, you talk to these people who brag about how much they save doing this and that. And to do it, they are compromising their health, they stink, from not showering, and soon they are just a negative crabby person no one wants to know.
Now, take the other side of the coin. Your potential to make money is unlimited you can make Billions of dollars if you apply yourself and have a plan that makes sense.
- making money potential is unlimited, it becomes a positive affect on your life.
- saving money is extremely limited, you can only save so much, and it has negative affects on you in every aspect of your life.
So, if you spend the time that you sit around trying to save money, and flip those thoughts towards ways to make extra money. Your results will exceed the saving Money mindset by incalculable amounts.
So see, instead of sitting around with no lights on, being bored, skipping meals to save that extra buck, taking cold showers every third day, who wants to live like that? That type of life would suck so bad its not even life. Your just sitting around waiting to die.
Now, if that person could have some sort of brain cleaning done where you washed their brain in Clorox, and reprogram them to find ways to make money. Learn and understand what it means when someone says: let your money work for you, instead of you working for money.
Here is what happens as opposed to the saving every dime.
You make $500 a week now on your 40 hour job, you take a bit of that money and save it up to buy yourself (just a example, this could be anything you choose) 500 cool printed t shirts, for $2000 , you start selling them at a flea market on your weekends. You sell each shirt for $15 on average. After 4 weeks you sell all your shirts. Now you had 500 shirts you sold for $15 each, for a total of $7500. Subtract your cost, $2000 your left with $5500 dollars. Now over that same 4 weeks how much could you have saved? What $200 maybe $300
And with that $5500 profit you now have, you can spend all your extra time, doing fun exciting things that makes your life awesome.
Yes living in the keys cost a bit more, but, move to New York, Chicago, La they are 25 times more costly to live there than the keys. The main expense in the keys that cost more is housing. Once you square that away, everything else averages about 15% higher. You can cut that down to 5% by buying bulk, and thinking longterm. You don't need to become some nut job saving so much it hurts. Just think in longterm and you won't increase your expenses by much. And there again if you keep making thinking about ways to make money your cost become irrelevant. Just remember,
""""" your ship won't ever come in, if you never set one out to sail. """""""
So move to the keys and enjoy life, work hard, play hard, and leave the losers behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida