Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:31 AM

7 posts, read 32,701 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend lived in The Keys for a few months. He moved there for a job offer making $16/hr as a marine mechanic. That amount of money where we live (in Fort Myers area) would be great, down there he could hardly survive. He could not find a rental home he could afford, so he ended up renting a spot at a campground on Big Pine Key for $600/month and brought himself a camper to live in. It worked, but he hated it there. Everything is over priced and/or over congested. It was hard just to find somewhere to eat out. And one thing I would like to mention, in case you werent aware. There is a boat that goes from Fort Myers Beach (and one in Marco Island) to Key West daily. Since I could not afford to move with him, we took turns visiting each other on the weekends. With the Key West Express (as it is called) neither of us had to worry about the drive and we could still see each other quite often. There is also a small plane that goes from Fort Myers to Key West, although I never had the opportunity to try it out. So, that may be something to look into.

Good Luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 15,959 times
Default My two cents . . .

I was somewhat disappointed with the Keys. I had a great job offer at a firm in Islamorada. The weather is outstanding down there and few areas can match its beauty. But my wife and I looked in vain for property, and simply couldn't find it. Even at 300,000-400,000, the selection was mostly older trailers (paying for the lot, not the house). Many people buy campers or houseboats or make the commute from Homestead.

Also, one thing we were disappointed in were the quantity and quality of beaches. The keys offer a very laid back lifestyle, great food, weather, and fishing. For that, there is always a price. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,191 times
I love the Keys. We own a house in Marathon on a deep water canal and we have to rent it out just to afford it. The house is completely paid for, and the rent we collect, full time is barely enough to pay the property taxes and keep the place going. I often wonder what is the point, since we can't stay there as someone else lives there. We hold on to it for the mere fact that it is so hard to get land in the keys, and someday.....well, now with the BP oil spill who knows what will happen to our property. Right now there is wonderful privacy because of the mangroves on the other side of the canal, but when the oil kills the mangroves it will just be ugly. My cousin has been in the keys since he was a teenager and has made a plausible living (owns own house, raising two kids) working for Cable/Comcast, but now he is holding on to his job by a thread due to downsizing. I hate to think what will happen to him if he loses his job, I don't think there are many jobs to go around down there. Long story short, unless you are independently wealthy, living in the keys is a crap shoot. There are some young single people, but good luck finding them and getting to know them. A very tight-knit crowd those conks. If you can make it happen, it is a gorgeous place to live, but don't invest much in it. Good luck to you.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:28 AM

27 posts, read 56,252 times
I love the Keys, especially Key West, but I know the locals know more than me...but I've checkedthe , *aheam* price tags too, & I would have no problem driving to the Keys from the mainland. Expensive!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
I am 19 years old and I am moving to the florida keys with my family because my parents are retiring and moving there.

Whats life like in the keys? How expensive is it?

I might be living with the family for a little while then buy a condo/mobile home OR rent something in the keys.. I want to be where my family is.
Your parents are going to spend a big chunk of your inheritance when they move to the keys Where are they thinking of moving to and whats their visions of life in the keys? You will be a virtual captive living in your parents house as moving out and remaining in the keys will prove financially challenging as there arent many good paying jobs. Nightlife would be relegated to Key Largo and Key West and to a lesser degree in Marathon..
I'd say there are better Florida options than the keys.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 PM

492 posts, read 1,397,303 times
As you first asked over three years ago. How's it going?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Guess the op has left the building..

Old 06-07-2010, 07:43 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
You got a point there BMURPHY. Not eveybody wants to live as cheap like NAH and if NAH keeps saying he wants to move to a cheaper place then the newcomers reading these posts don't know what his meaning of cheap housing means like the rest of us do. Cheap to FL i would say is $100,000 home which for some is comfortably affordable compared to his $50,000 2 story home, low crime area he keeps dreaming of finding.
NAH would probably live in a mud hut just because it's cheap. He/she is hardly representative of most people's priorities in life.

Last edited by stars99; 06-07-2010 at 07:55 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times
Quote:
Guess the op has left the building..
Well, this thread was started in 2007...

Old 06-09-2010, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 15,214 times
Im 20, its my 3rd year on the keys... The only thing I can tell, that you are a poor thing... Its a cool place for the tourist, but for young people its boring as hell!!!! Fishing and drinking,thats it. And you have to go to Miami for everything!!! But its kinda nice here,... sometimes..=))
And yes, it is expensive to live here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida