Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 AM

128 posts, read 192,606 times

Advertisements

I assure your right it does , I have had 5 pool services , 4 lawn services , 12 nannies and endless amounts of quote handy men .

People come here and prefer to drink and sit in some rat hole bar instead of work , I was told just in the past month I needed a new pool filter ( the one I have is 1 year olod yea sure its gone already )

You will learn people move here from the mid west and love to bilk the old people out of money and the old people like to not tip or pay on time so it makes for a bad cycle .

I left the service and opended a seo firm that ranks websites I needed to be here for my 88 year old mother what a mistake , every time I turned around services firms here either did not show up or they ripped her off all at my expence .

The mod for this board wont allow anyone to name names but doctors are no better check everyone out here they need no lic. just a sign that says they do this or that and they are in the state is full of good old boys ripping people off and on top they are not cheap .

Buyer be ware here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I'm not quite sure what to make of this thread as I have found the opposite to be true from my experiences. I moved back to Florida in December and have basically redone my Mom's former house from top to bottom operating as "contractor" and setting up estimates/scheduling work on everything from the roof to tile floors to paint and everything in between. Name the trade and I've had to book it. In Philadelphia where I moved from, I could hard get anyone to show up to provide an estimate let alone work. My friend who moved to the Tampa area from Long Island had similar issues up there. Both of us went through major remodeling here and couldn't get over the number of tradespeople willing to show up on time for estimates (for me all of them), the dollar amount of the estimates, the work ethic and integrity of those performing the work (ServiceMagic screened) and the end result. Those with "issues" are clearly unaware of what's like it living someplace else (particularly the Northeast US where Union "work" is the norm) or how to go about searching for those who provide quality work in the first place (ServiceMagic or Angie's List).

Old 06-17-2011, 07:37 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm not quite sure what to make of this thread as I have found the opposite to be true from my experiences. I moved back to Florida in December and have basically redone my Mom's former house from top to bottom operating as "contractor" and setting up estimates/scheduling work on everything from the roof to tile floors to paint and everything in between. Name the trade and I've had to book it. In Philadelphia where I moved from, I could hard get anyone to show up to provide an estimate let alone work. My friend who moved to the Tampa area from Long Island had similar issues up there. Both of us went through major remodeling here and couldn't get over the number of tradespeople willing to show up on time for estimates (for me all of them), the dollar amount of the estimates, the work ethic and integrity of those performing the work (ServiceMagic screened) and the end result. Those with "issues" are clearly unaware of what's like it living someplace else (particularly the Northeast US where Union "work" is the norm) or how to go about searching for those who provide quality work in the first place (ServiceMagic or Angie's List).
Same here, Kyle. We have remodeled several homes in several different cities/towns here, and have had tremendously good experiences with all the subcontractors we have had. I really and truly cannot understand all these people who claim work ethics "suck" here, because in my experience, they most certainly do not.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Tell me where it the opposite of what you state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
It has always been this way. It will probably always be this way. Employers don't value quality employees, and employees don't give a crap about being the best they can be. Just a way to pay bills and pass the time until they can get drunk again. Just one of many reasons Florida pretty much sucks.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Same here, Kyle. We have remodeled several homes in several different cities/towns here, and have had tremendously good experiences with all the subcontractors we have had. I really and truly cannot understand all these people who claim work ethics "suck" here, because in my experience, they most certainly do not.
I have lived here all of my life and I was a single woman with children for many, many years so, I had to hire someone to do most of everything. Plus, I remodeled different things over the years. I had good people and bad people. I really appreciated the ones who gave me good value for their days work and took it with a grain of salt the ones who didn't. It was great life lessons. Some of those, good and/or bad, came from "up north".

I am still waiting for the Mexican plumber to show up....

Pfsst, it's the same everywhere......

Old 06-28-2016, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 781 times
I see people going "it doesn't matter what you make have pride in your work!" seriously? you know construction workers in florida don't even make half of union scale right? Seriously, they make what McDonalds employees make on average. And they have to work in hot miserable conditions for long hours. Have pride? why? you're not paying for it, you're paying as little as possible, so that's what your going to get. You want pride? Then stop devaluing skilled labor. Its pretty damn hard to have pride in your work, when the very pay rates at that job, make you feel worthless. You people who think you should get "Pride" for down right abusive wages and working conditions are delusional. Of course you probably wouldnt want to pay your psychiatrist a descent wage either if it was up to you. Stop using the fact you're a cheapskate as a viable excuse to reason away a terrible situation. The Horrid Wage Conditions of Florida. I have pride, pride enough to speak the truth. You want pride? PAY FOR IT, other wise, shut up. You get what you pay for. Me, I do the best job I can, for the money being paid. But telling someone to have pride when their very situation is like a constant punch in the gut, is disgusting and you should be ashamed. You say "have pride in your work" I say "Have compassion for the person working hard for low wages." because pride is directly related to ones state. If a person feels valued, they will have pride. pay someone crap wages, don't expect the same pride.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:34 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Tell me where it the opposite of what you state.
DRB is dead right dwight.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
DRB is dead right dwight.
Yeah, but the same situation exists in all states. I worked for a company that hired trades people for insurance companies to get work done for their insureds. I couldnt count the number of companies that I booked to do work that never showed up, showed up days after the scheduled date, came out and started work and didnt return. I dealt with contractors from the the east coast to the west, north to south.

I found that as a rule only larger companies did the jobs without problems.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:30 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yeah, but the same situation exists in all states. I worked for a company that hired trades people for insurance companies to get work done for their insureds. I couldnt count the number of companies that I booked to do work that never showed up, showed up days after the scheduled date, came out and started work and didnt return. I dealt with contractors from the the east coast to the west, north to south.

I found that as a rule only larger companies did the jobs without problems.
It's in all states nate.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It's in all states nate.
Yeah. That's what I said Ted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida