Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 PM

35 posts, read 92,505 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

This is actually my first post so here it goes. I'm 27yrs old. I lived in New Jersey for about 20yrs and have not left the state ever since. I came to the United stated when I was about 7yrs all from Peru. I work as a translator for early intervention agencies, work at MBUSA in the road side assistance dept and go to school for my marketing degree. It's alway been a dream of mine to move to FL specially miami. I have family in that used to live in Miami (forget exactly where) they now live in Homestead and I totallyl ove Miami. The main reason why I want to move to FL is due to the wether. I quiet honestly cannot stand the snow and the cold, i'm not sure how i've dealt with it all these years but i think i've had enough. I extremelly dislike the cold and snow. Waking up to 10 inches of snow in January is defenitelly not a cool feeling. I have family in FL however, my parents and only brother live here in jersey so I will be moving there pretty much to migrate and then i'm certain they might tag along. I'm at the first stages of doing research. My main concern is finding a job i make pretty decent money here and the only thing i'm concern about is something that will pay me something close to what I make. I understand that it will not be the same but i believe in making things work somehow someway. Another option would be to finish my marketing degree in about a year and then make a move. I keep reading people getting $6, $7, $8, and hour I mean what kind of jobs are these? factory work or temp jobs. what about people with degrees they cannot be making that much? Are there any other tips or concerns that I should be aware of any suggestions would be extremelly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Get a job offer in writing before you move or you will be making $6, $7, $8/hr. Florida's economy is VERY different from NJ's (you mention "factory work" which doesn't exist here like in NJ). In FL the two biggest employers, tourism and homebuilding, with all their allied support businesses (furniture, restaurants, etc.) have been greatly impacted and may be down for a couple years. Right now there are too few jobs for too many people applying.

Healthcare will always be needed in the Miami area (and elsewhere in FL) because of the aging population. Can you gear your marketing degree toward healthcare?

Another thought: can you finish your education in FL living with relatives? It would open your eyes to what jobs you can shoot for. You could call employers and ask what education they are looking for and maybe intern part-time. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
You won't be making $6/hour because the state minimum wage is $7.21 as of January 1.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:33 AM

259 posts, read 840,261 times
Don't necessarily let all of the negative comments about south Florida COMPLETELY discourage you. I think most people are simply coming from the perspective of just wishing that someone would have also thoroghly explained to them about ALL of its faults before moving down here. Or they just wish that they knew how much it would completely change over the years. But you have to remember that south Florida really works for some people and they find that they LOVE it! My advice is to do A LOT of research. Check out some of the job availabilities online constantly and also read the newspaper (Sun-sentinel or Miami Herald) on a daily basis so that you can see what is going on in the community. Make sure you talk to as many people as you can to find out their experiences and concerns. If you are bi-lingual this will help out a GREAT deal!! Jobs will open up a little more for you.
I will not lie to you. Yes it is true that the wages here are low compared to the cost of living. I am young, have a bs degree in Accounting, saved to move down here and I am not nearly getting paid what I know I should. I plan to stick it out until I finish grad school and then fully move for better opportunities. In my case, this is simply because I feel that I have a lot of career goals and my quality of life right now is very important. Other people may have other factors that are causing them to leave and vice versa when it comes to staying. It really depends on what is going on in each individuals life. I agree with the 1st poster. Real Estate and Tourism are the big jobs and economy drivers down here. However, school is a great reason to move. Good luck!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
Default Keeping your perspective

The above posts have been excellent in helping you make the most informed decisions regarding your move.

It appears from your post that your primary reason for relocating to Florida is based upon the weather and your extreme displeasure with snow. In today's economy, you should proceed with extreme caution. My son, who recently earned his marketing degree, is finding his career search exceptionally challenging. The business climate is so poor (projected closures and downsizing/lay-offs) nationally that the best jobs available are barely paying above the minimum wage & with no real benefits. He has sent resumes everywhere and has received a few meager responses. Maybe your ability to work in a bilingual workplace may move your resume to the top of a few "application stacks", but there will still be many experienced marketing applicants with outstanding credentials competing for your marketing entry level position.

People have moved for many reasons, and for some, climate was the primary criteria. Unfortunately for you and many others, this will need to change. If you are keeping the proper perspective, finding a reasonably secure job that will provide you with a livable wage/benefits (with the potential for advancement & more money) needs to be the highest priority. What good will the sunshine be for you if you cannot afford to enjoy it? Give my son a job that allows him to afford the "American dream" in 3 months of snow than no real job that forces him to "borrow" from me for eternity. The cost of that Florida 3 months of great weather can and will be very demoralizing if you do not have the money to pay for it

Old 12-31-2008, 09:41 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Dito to what Coash says. The south Florida job market is quite different to the rest of the US and challenging at best. Get your feet firmly established in your career and finish your degree first before venturing south.

Apart from the negative posts - read them with some modicum of caution. We have lived in south Florida for many years and like living here. We have our own business - but if we relied on south Florida for our livelihood, we would have had to close our doors years ago.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:00 AM

216 posts, read 580,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludenaa View Post
Hello all,

This is actually my first post so here it goes. I'm 27yrs old. I lived in New Jersey for about 20yrs and have not left the state ever since. I came to the United stated when I was about 7yrs all from Peru. I work as a translator for early intervention agencies, work at MBUSA in the road side assistance dept and go to school for my marketing degree. It's alway been a dream of mine to move to FL specially miami. I have family in that used to live in Miami (forget exactly where) they now live in Homestead and I totallyl ove Miami. The main reason why I want to move to FL is due to the wether. I quiet honestly cannot stand the snow and the cold, i'm not sure how i've dealt with it all these years but i think i've had enough. I extremelly dislike the cold and snow. Waking up to 10 inches of snow in January is defenitelly not a cool feeling. I have family in FL however, my parents and only brother live here in jersey so I will be moving there pretty much to migrate and then i'm certain they might tag along. I'm at the first stages of doing research. My main concern is finding a job i make pretty decent money here and the only thing i'm concern about is something that will pay me something close to what I make. I understand that it will not be the same but i believe in making things work somehow someway. Another option would be to finish my marketing degree in about a year and then make a move. I keep reading people getting $6, $7, $8, and hour I mean what kind of jobs are these? factory work or temp jobs. what about people with degrees they cannot be making that much? Are there any other tips or concerns that I should be aware of any suggestions would be extremelly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Alex
Have you considered the Gulf Coast region, Pensacola and Fort Walton? Lots of great jobs there, gvt contract work and such. Real estate market is not great, but definately not hurt as bad as the majority of FL. Cost of living is lowest in the state, and the beaches are sugar white and amazing! We lived there six years and loved it. Also maybe consider the Mobile area of AL, you get the beautiful weather with a better job market and the COL is a bit lower because property taxes are more affordable.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmamma View Post
Have you considered the Gulf Coast region, Pensacola and Fort Walton? Lots of great jobs there, gvt contract work and such. Real estate market is not great, but definately not hurt as bad as the majority of FL. Cost of living is lowest in the state, and the beaches are sugar white and amazing! We lived there six years and loved it. Also maybe consider the Mobile area of AL, you get the beautiful weather with a better job market and the COL is a bit lower because property taxes are more affordable.
If the OP is considering Pensacola, Florida for the winter climate and the beaches only, he/she would be hard pressed not to consider this region. The Pensacola region has a [u]reported[u] unemployment rate hovering around 7 - 7.5%, and the foreclosures are climbing at record levels. This does not sound like a region that is economically solvent. Curiously, what are the "great jobs" that you are referring in your post, and what are they paying for entry level positions? Most of the federal hiring is being frozen nationally with the exception of those very specialized (eg mining engineers). Is the state of Florida hiring in the state civil service?

Old 12-31-2008, 02:47 PM

35 posts, read 92,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Healthcare will always be needed in the Miami area (and elsewhere in FL) because of the aging population. Can you gear your marketing degree toward healthcare?

I appreciate all your responses guys. It's defenitelly putting things into perspective. Shifting my marketing degree towards healthcare is something that i've actually been contemplating of doing. As we all know healthcare specially in this country is a money maker. I work for early intervention agencies which are pretty much goverment contracted and funded agencies that provided services for children from 0-3 who have speech, physical and developmental delays. I will put my number out there. As a translator I make $30/hr full time. I make $15/hr part time at MBUSA. Other certified practitioners who I work with (speech therapists, physical therapists) make on an average of $85-$110/hr. This is only accomplished with a masters degree and passing a boards exam. I'm 1099 so are the practitioners who I work with. I have about a year left to finish my Marketing degree. I would love to dip into something within health care but not necessarily start from scratch. I'm typing this as I'm looking at about 3 inches of snow out my window. I will not make the move unless as I have a secured job lined up. Looking at it i'm pretty stable and yes maybe i'm not picking the greatest time to move. I just don't wanna find myself moving to FL and being able to live life like I'm used to here. I fully understand that I'm never going to make the same amount of money that I make here doing what I do but it's just a matter of re-adjusting myself and budget. I don't necesarilly want to be in Miami I was looking around West Palm Beach and Boca Raton also. Once again thanks for all the info guys.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmamma View Post
Have you considered the Gulf Coast region, Pensacola and Fort Walton? Lots of great jobs there, gvt contract work and such.
You need DoD connections to get those contract jobs. If you weren't in the Air Force or a spouse or dependent of someone in the Air Force, or have a very specific high tech skill set related to ircraft maitenance or weapons development, your chance of getting one of those kinds of jobs is very very slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida