U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Job secure, relocating to Florida, home prices, cost of living, medical insurance prices, crazy Florida drivers, tailgaters, eliminating high NYC heating bills, nasty winters, 9/11 memories, dense population

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,814,537 times

Advertisements

That's true hereinfla but Nancy did say SLAM not tap... :-)))
And it's also true about the older folks. They just don't even realize sometimes what they're doing, or what they sound like and they do "appear" to be nasty, grumpy, pushy but most are really not. It's a little sad and they deserve respect. Hopefully, we'll get there too someday and I plan to make everybody miserable! lolll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 01:14 PM

523 posts, read 2,628,476 times
Wonderful Nancy, If this is what you want It may just the beginning for you , to get you to florida.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:35 PM

15,121 posts, read 31,016,405 times
Congrats, Nancy! As you said, at least it gets you in the job market, so if you decide it isn't for you, after awhile you can always change - nothing has to last forever!

Did I read your post correctly, that they haven't told you the salary? If so, that seems a bit odd.

Anyway, welcome to Florida and look at it as a big adventure - I love adventures!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:44 PM

317 posts, read 1,121,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Oh, my, Nancy. Where do I start? We're just under 6 months away from "the big move", altho we don't have a date set yet. It's all going to depend on when we can close on the house in NY. We're having an indoor moving sale Saturday (c'mon up - lotsa good "stuff" for sale!). Next weekend, we'll clean the carpets and floors and on Monday, 3/19, the realtor is coming to put the house on the market. We hope to have the last few odds and ends finished by then. Believe me, we've done a lot of work since we bought our house in FL last May, including a new roof, new garage door (this past week - the old one died on us!), painting rooms, and cleaning my fingers to the bone. Oh, two garage sales prior to the one this Sat.

DH is in his seasonal depression, plus his dr. changed his meds on him, so all he wants to do is sleep. I've been pushing him to work on this stuff, which is a chore in itself. All the paperwork, etc. is on my shoulders, adn I'm having my own issues. I'm going to my dr. next week and maybe she can give me something to help me thru the next 6 months. I hate taking meds (family history of addictions), but I'm not sleeping and that doesn't help.

Our renters in FL have quieted down - no more weird requests, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that's going well. I don't want to stir the pot, so I'm not calling the agent to check. We're halfway thru that - just March and April, then they're out of there.

The first full week in May, I'll be in NFM, checking on the house and getting it closed up for the summer. My oldest friend (since 4 years old!) is going to spend most of the week with me, since DH won't fly.

I'll be glad to get it in the realtor's hands. Keep your fingers crossed that it sells quickly enough that we don't worry about it but that the people don't want to move in till September. Otherwise, we may have to move in with MIL, which is another post....probably in the mental health forum!

Thanks for lsitening..I'm feeling much better now.
Hey NOMORESNOW,

Good luck on selling your house. It sounds like you have done all the right things to get it sold quickly though. I did many of the same things to prepare my house, including the endless garage sales! Doesn't it seem like there is absolutely no bottom in a house you have lived in for a long time? It is exhausting AND an emotional experience as you begin to experience the withdrawl/letting go process, including saying good-bye to some of "the things" walking away during your garage sale. Price it right and it will sell fast. That is what I found and that is what is happening in my neighborhood right now. The ones that are overpriced are just sitting and have been on the market for over a year. Others that are priced well, sell almost immediately. Don't be surprised (and be emotionally prepared) if someone comes in and wants to buy it right away and wants to close very quickly. This just happened to my sister. She put her house up for sale and 45 days later she was moving out.

Perhaps your DH will start feeling better once "the move" gets closer. It will give him something to look forward to and get excited about. I know for me, I needed "something/anything" in my life to feel good about and get excited about again. This change is definitely "making me wake up"! No time to sleep, in fact, like you, I can't sleep! My brain just won't shut down.

Keep trucking...and keep visiting the site to keep yourself motivated and inspired. Change is difficult, uncomfortable and unfamiliar. But without change, we may never know the other possibilities our lives have to experience in this giant world.
You're a great person, keep the spirit my friend! There IS light at the end of this tunnel!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Nancy- I am THRILLED for you! Thanks so much for the wonderful update!

How old is your son again? I'm 52 and have a 10 and 13 YO- maybe we can canoe with the kids some weekend- lots of good rivers inbetween the two of us.

A word about the tailgaters...don't tap the breaks- road rage being what it is and all. Just take your foot off the gas and your speed will slowly be reduced and that will wake them up. They don't realize that you are doing it and will usually keep their distance.

And a lot of the old folks can't see well so it seems like they are staring and they just have grumpy expressions due to ailments. I have found that a big smile and hello will usually cause them to smile. And if it doesn't, well, it makes ME feel better anyway.

WOOHOO! Can't wait to hear the sequel!
Hereinfla:

Hi! My son is 10 and will be 11 this summer...perfect for a canoe trip with your two kids! You are absolutely right about the "slowing down/taking your foot off the gas" re tailgating. Perfect solution, I know exactly what you are talking about. I just have to get myself into that habit/response.

"Older" people. You know, I feel very bad for them as well. They do look very sad in general. I WILL smile at them (the first two times anyhow), after that I might make a funny face.

I guess you are right that they can't see that well....however!!!!!!,....they sure seem to see very well on their way to Atlantic City!!!!!! And they sure seem to see really well sitting at those slot machines! LOL!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:59 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,764,765 times
There is another thing that sometimes happens with very old people...so be prepared. Sometimes, when standing in line at a store, well, they, uhhhhh, well they pass gas and don't seem to know it. Guess they lose their grip, if ya know what I mean. (Oh, I just know that the karma I will get from that statement will be so bad!)

Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,093,460 times
Thanks for the kind words, NL. I'm just hoping that the light at the end of that tunnel isn't a train coming at us! LOL

Speaking of "older" folks not looking happy...I've developed what they call "marionette lines" in my face that makes me look like I'm frowning all the time. And that's not me...I hate it! Maybe I should go check out the Botox thread in the health and wellness forum???

Old 03-06-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Congrats, Nancy! As you said, at least it gets you in the job market, so if you decide it isn't for you, after awhile you can always change - nothing has to last forever!

Did I read your post correctly, that they haven't told you the salary? If so, that seems a bit odd.

Anyway, welcome to Florida and look at it as a big adventure - I love adventures!
Dear Gypsychic (allows Gyp psychic to me ):

Yes, you read it correctly and yes, it is WAY ODD! But then again, they have been ODD through this whole ODD process, so at least they are consistently ODD!!!!! LOL!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Thanks for the kind words, NL. I'm just hoping that the light at the end of that tunnel isn't a train coming at us! LOL

Speaking of "older" folks not looking happy...I've developed what they call "marionette lines" in my face that makes me look like I'm frowning all the time. And that's not me...I hate it! Maybe I should go check out the Botox thread in the health and wellness forum???

Nomoresnow:

I have them too! Seemed to have immediately surfaced when life was really rough and I was really depressed. DRINK WATER! It will hydrate your body and face and plump it out a bit. Botox is expensive and doesn't last. Remember I posted that my realtor gave it to me as a gift! LOL! LOL! What a hoot! I had LIPS for a month! I tried to frown but my eyebrowns wouldn't cooperate! But it all came back. That darn gravity! It was funny watching my friends stare at my face when I was talking trying to figure out what was different. HE! HE!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Chuckle...moving where I can retire

I called my old boss to ask him if he would be a reference for me.

At the end of our conversation he said, "hey, now you don't have to move when you retire, you're already there." I laughed, but the reality is...there is no such thing as retirement for me, so I should consider myself blessed to have an opportunity to live the so-called good-life while I am still an "active" member of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or