Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 22,653,883 times

Advertisements

If y'all had read the original post, the poster is in an Air Force family so Tallahassee isn't much of an option.

With that parameter, I'd say that Eglin AFB, Hurlburt Field, Patrick AFB or MacDill AFB are all in more family friendly areas than Tyndall/PCB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 02:11 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,378,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If y'all had read the original post, the poster is in an Air Force family so Tallahassee isn't much of an option.

With that parameter, I'd say that Eglin AFB, Hurlburt Field, Patrick AFB or MacDill AFB are all in more family friendly areas than Tyndall/PCB.
Not sure what stage he is at, Tallahassee has General Dynamics and Elbit so it isn't that far off the charts.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 PM

1,997 posts, read 4,579,625 times
I considered a job in Panama City (but ended up with a better opportunity in Greenville, SC).

Here's an older thread with some useful info on Panama City:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ald-coast.html

Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I considered a job in Panama City (but ended up with a better opportunity in Greenville, SC).

Here's an older thread with some useful info on Panama City:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ald-coast.html

haha nice...

just read the following quote... it is SPOT ON!!!! (I was born in Panama City btw so not trying to bash, just giving people the real deal information...)

Pros and cons for Panama City:
Pros

The beaches are gorgeous, especially St. Andrews State Park.
You will see dolphins almost every time you cross the Hathaway bridge.
It's kind of cool to be pelted with seabreeze while loading groceries into your car.
There is no shortage of activities for the kids like mini-golf, a pirate ship, and go-karts. One mini-golf place even has a huge maze.
There are some really nice parks like St. Andrews and the excellent Frank Brown on the beach. There are some decent public piers for fishing too.
On the beach, Santa drives up and down the residential streets on a firetruck and throws candy to the kids on Christmas Eve (my girls LOVED this).
During the winter, the beach is a ghost town. It is almost like having your own private beach.
It's cheaper to live here than most beach front areas in the state.

Cons

The Smurfitt-Stone cardboard plant that covers the area with a foul stench from dusk to dawn.
Overall, the area is about 20 years behind.
The schools are lousy.
Taxes are high.
Insurance is higher.
It is seriously lacking in anything that would pass as culturally enriching.
It is pretty isolated.
The quality of housing is poor.
It is primarily geared for tourists.
The cost of living is high for what you get.
The beach front is rapidly being turned into one big wall of condos.
A lot of the residents are very narrow minded.
The nearest quality shopping is 50 miles west in Destin (unless you like Sears).

Old 03-30-2009, 12:08 AM

13,255 posts, read 22,653,883 times
Panama City has improved in the year and a half since that thread (though I'm still glad to be in the Ft. Walton Beach area instead of there). The Pier Park 'lifestyle center' has some good options- Border's, Ron Jon's Surf, a Nike Outlet store, Dillard's, a Super Target, a bunch of smaller mall stores, and a large restaurant area that's a mix of national chains and local joints. Some better single family home construction to go along with the condo boom, and you can find something at a much more reasonable price these days.

I think it's actually going to be a fairly nice place 10-20 years from now, but at current time, it's still very much a work in progress.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Panama City has improved in the year and a half since that thread (though I'm still glad to be in the Ft. Walton Beach area instead of there). The Pier Park 'lifestyle center' has some good options- Border's, Ron Jon's Surf, a Nike Outlet store, Dillard's, a Super Target, a bunch of smaller mall stores, and a large restaurant area that's a mix of national chains and local joints. Some better single family home construction to go along with the condo boom, and you can find something at a much more reasonable price these days.

I think it's actually going to be a fairly nice place 10-20 years from now, but at current time, it's still very much a work in progress.
PC could be beautiful if they kick out all the spring break crowd stuff, build that international airport, and bring in some more industry.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 PM

25 posts, read 75,089 times
Although Pier park is nice, it does not compare to the many financial, real estate, educational, and spring break issues still at hand. If you only like the beach and pier park, then it is best that you only come here on vacation. Like many other people, I believe that living here and visiting here are completely different experiences. The schools, spring break, neighborhoods, and narrow mindedness make me want to head for the hills. I obviously did not know what I was getting into when I moved here.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:36 AM

96 posts, read 423,139 times
Most all the beach towns, while once were pretty, are infested with the 'anything goes' mentality from the wild bunches they attract. The only coastal towns that I've found to be tolerable are St. Augustine and Wilmington, N.C. The others will be plagued with over the top boom boxes, loud cursing, fights & crime. That's where our country has sunk to, the anything goes mentality. Whenever you have to deal with ,"we have to go to school so we have to party first' mentality, your dealing with people who think innuendo is an Italian suppository. Ill-suited parents that won't instill discipline or bounderies is a huge part of this crap.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 PM

209 posts, read 531,680 times
To the OP: I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 5 month old. I am part of two MOPS groups on the beach (there are 4 or 5 more in town), two playgroups, take my kids to storytime at the local library every week, and go to local parks, Pump It Up, and the skating arena for "toddler skate" every week. There are lots of activities for those kids. The playgroup that meets mainly in town is run through meetup.com and has many military families who participate.

Also, if your child will be 4 before the start of the next school year, Florida has universal pre-k, where the state pays for half-day pre-k for your child! Mostly this is run by the public schools, but there are lots of private centers that offer the program, too. They all must use approved curriculum and have certified teachers.

Many of the elementary schools here are pretty good, getting an "A" rating each year. This may not matter if you don't think you'll be here very long.

If you continue to decide to homeschool there are many homeschool groups here, but most are church-affiliated. Even though this is Florida, it's more like we're "lower Alabama" when it comes to being in "The South", if you know what I mean.

If you do come here, I would try to move as far from the base as you can (Lynn Haven or PCB are good places to go), since it's a little lower class overall around the base (there are pockets of nice areas... but you have to look). Most of the "fun" stuff is located on the beach... and if you're going to live in Florida, why not live just a few minutes from the Gulf?! From the East End of the beach it's about 30 minutes to TAFB. From the West End, about 45-50 minutes.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:51 PM

13 posts, read 44,465 times
I did not like panama city. Its pretty isolated and boring with little diversity. The beach is the only option for entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida