U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:48 AM

4,337 posts, read 6,026,640 times

Advertisements

We were seriously missing our grandchildren in New England and contemplating a move back there until we spent two weeks this past February freezing our butts off up there. Not only was it cold but all the clothes you have to put on! I can hardly stand wearing socks and here I was with heavy socks, boots, scarf, hat, gloves, sweater, and whenever we wanted to take the kids out we had to mummify them too with wads of wool and fleece. No thanks. YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN!! And the itchy dry skin! And static electricity hair that stands straight up! Shoveling snow, flight delays, blah, blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,811,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
We were seriously missing our grandchildren in New England and contemplating a move back there until we spent two weeks this past February freezing our butts off up there. Not only was it cold but all the clothes you have to put on! I can hardly stand wearing socks and here I was with heavy socks, boots, scarf, hat, gloves, sweater, and whenever we wanted to take the kids out we had to mummify them too with wads of wool and fleece. No thanks. YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN!! And the itchy dry skin! And static electricity hair that stands straight up! Shoveling snow, flight delays, blah, blah.
OHHHHHHH The static in the hair!!!!!! Yes!! I had forgotten about that one. I used to have really, really long hair. What a disaster.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:06 PM

166 posts, read 918,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I went back and read some of your posts and they look like you just copy and past them. There was no gas shortages, gas was being delivered everyday. There were some lines for like a day because not all stations had generators to run the pumps and the ones pumping had some lines. I live in Fort Lauderdale and we had no lines to speak of. I believe now the stations are being required to have generators so that should take care of the future.

Our Publix had a huge generator and was up and running in 24 hours with ice and anything else you needed. You are being ridiculous with all your petty complaints. They were out working to restore the electric as the winds were still blowing and brought crews from all over the country to get things back in order. Like I said, you will be happier when you leave.
First of all I don't copy and paste in my posts. I have no idea what in the heck your talking about. Secondly, I lived in an area where they declared it a national disaster. Since, you didn't live in this area you don't understand what happened.

It's no different than saying I didn't think Hurricane Andrew wasn't a bad storm just because I lived 45 miles from the center of where the storm hit. Although I only lost power for a few hrs., during Andrew, I don't hide the fact that there was an aftermath to deal with because many people were impacted from Hurricane Andrew, but not in my area.

Hurricane Wilma wasn't very strong in comparision to Hurricane Andrew, however, one can not cover up the fact that long lines for supplies and gas shortages didn't exist during Wilma - because it did.

If I was to exaggerate miles and miles of gas lines...I suppose this picture is a fantasy.

This picture is a reality of what we had to deal with in Pompano Beach.

Notice the cars are lined up for miles waiting at the gas station?

http://news.webshots.com/photo/15054...38273331sSncRS

Unless your blind your going to see that what I am saying is the truth.

As far as Hurricane Wilma was concerned, it was supposed to hit the west coast first. Many people on the east coast of Florida didn't consider it a major threat. The news reports told us to prepare for a cat. 1 storm. Usually after passing 120 miles inland a storm looses it's strength...but with Wilma it never lost it's strength after going from the west coast over to the east coast. That's one reason why many people on the east coast didn't prepare. We were not told to prepare for a cat. 3 storm initially.

I did prepare and did purchase gasoline, however, I had no idea that we would be without electricity for two weeks. I had no idea the banks and post office would be closed for a few weeks either. I had no idea we wouldn't get our phone service back till a month later.We also needed more supplies than we thought we originally needed. The weather reports told us that by the time it got to the east coast it was only going to be a cat. 1 storm. But that didn't happy like they predicted!

After waiting in long lines each day to get necessary supplies we started to realize our gas supply was running out. We planned on a cat. 1 storm...not a cat. 3 storm hitting the area. There wasn't any publix that was open that I knew of...we drove around looking though...which was making our gas get lower. We did wait on lines for ice...but by the time they got to us...they had ran out. I did have to wait three and a half days before I got my first glass of ice water. That is the truth!

That's when it was getting difficult to find gas. It was a very common site to find cars parked out on the side of the road, due to the fact that they just ran out of gas. People waiting on lines for items...only to find that sometimes they waited only not to receive anything. Banks, post offices and schools were closed for two weeks in our area. That must mean there was some type of damage...actually that means they couldn't get the electricity back on in all the schools!

All this information was on the news. I have the article if anybody wants to read the CNNTranscript! Here is an article from Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_wilma

It says: Gasoline was in high demand for cars and generators; six hour waits were common, due to lack of power to pump the fuel.

Now my husband waited in a five hr. line for gas. This I can attest to. I did call up the Broward County Sherrifs Office to ask them where I could find any gas. They told me the only one in my area was on the Tpke at the CC station. I asked the how long was the wait. They told me it may be up to 10 hrs. during the day, possibly 4 or 5 around 5am. I do not exaggerate nor do I lie. This picture shows the truth: http://news.webshots.com/photo/15054...38273331sSncRS

Last edited by Angelrocks; 04-08-2007 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-08-2007, 01:45 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,392,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelrocks View Post
First of all I don't copy and paste in my posts. I have no idea what in the heck your talking about. Secondly, I lived in an area where they declared it a national disaster. Since, you didn't live in this area you don't understand what happened.

It's no different than saying I didn't think Hurricane Andrew wasn't a bad storm just because I lived 45 miles from the center of where the storm hit. Although I only lost power for a few hrs., during Andrew, I don't hide the fact that there was an aftermath to deal with because many people were impacted from Hurricane Andrew, but not in my area.

Hurricane Wilma wasn't very strong in comparision to Hurricane Andrew, however, one can not cover up the fact that long lines for supplies and gas shortages didn't exist during Wilma - because it did.

If I was to exaggerate miles and miles of gas lines...I suppose this picture is a fantasy.

This picture is a reality of what we had to deal with in Pompano Beach.

Notice the cars are lined up for miles waiting at the gas station?

http://news.webshots.com/photo/15054...38273331sSncRS

Unless your blind your going to see that what I am saying is the truth.

As far as Hurricane Wilma was concerned, it was supposed to hit the west coast first. Many people on the east coast of Florida didn't consider it a major threat. The news reports told us to prepare for a cat. 1 storm. Usually after passing 120 miles inland a storm looses it's strength...but with Wilma it never lost it's strength after going from the west coast over to the east coast. That's one reason why many people on the east coast didn't prepare. We were not told to prepare for a cat. 3 storm initially.

I did prepare and did purchase gasoline, however, I had no idea that we would be without electricity for two weeks. I had no idea the banks and post office would be closed for a few weeks either. I had no idea we wouldn't get our phone service back till a month later.We also needed more supplies than we thought we originally needed. The weather reports told us that by the time it got to the east coast it was only going to be a cat. 1 storm. But that didn't happy like they predicted!

After waiting in long lines each day to get necessary supplies we started to realize our gas supply was running out. We planned on a cat. 1 storm...not a cat. 3 storm hitting the area. There wasn't any publix that was open that I knew of...we drove around looking though...which was making our gas get lower. We did wait on lines for ice...but by the time they got to us...they had ran out. I did have to wait three and a half days before I got my first glass of ice water. That is the truth!

That's when it was getting difficult to find gas. It was a very common site to find cars parked out on the side of the road, due to the fact that they just ran out of gas. People waiting on lines for items...only to find that sometimes they waited only not to receive anything. Banks, post offices and schools were closed for two weeks in our area. That must mean there was some type of damage...actually that means they couldn't get the electricity back on in all the schools!

All this information was on the news. I have the article if anybody wants to read the CNNTranscript! Here is an article from Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_wilma

It says: Gasoline was in high demand for cars and generators; six hour waits were common, due to lack of power to pump the fuel.

Now my husband waited in a five hr. line for gas. This I can attest to. I did call up the Broward County Sherrifs Office to ask them where I could find any gas. They told me the only one in my area was on the Tpke at the CC station. I asked the how long was the wait. They told me it may be up to 10 hrs. during the day, possibly 4 or 5 around 5am. I do not exaggerate nor do I lie. This picture shows the truth: http://news.webshots.com/photo/15054...38273331sSncRS

Most of what you point to was as much a creation of the people as the storm. People like yourself who are not prepared for the three or four days like you were told, not before this storm, but before the season even starts. I am sorry if you need someone to hold your hand instead of taking personal responsibility, as you waste the time of the Broward Sheriffs office asking them where you can find gas.

How about sitting home and reading a book for a day or two and staying off the roads just adding to the commotion in your ridiculous panic and petty needs. "Oh my God" you couldn't get a glass of ice water, no body would give you any. Give me a break, you should leave. Ask any emergency worker, you are exactly what worsens those situations. God all mighty, when did people become so GD helpless?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,808 times
snow, the first day it falls. sunshine after that.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 PM

672 posts, read 687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
OHHHHHHH The static in the hair!!!!!! Yes!! I had forgotten about that one. I used to have really, really long hair. What a disaster.
Conditioner works fine for static. What do you do for humdity? My hair curls with humidity. Long or short it doesn't matter.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:17 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,811,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Conditioner works fine for static. What do you do for humdity? My hair curls with humidity. Long or short it doesn't matter.
I have very straight and now very, very short hair so "no problem".

Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 AM

15 posts, read 61,421 times
south florida is nice...no sonow or ice. in the northeast summers can be very hot and extremely humid. late spring and early fall are very nice, but winter can be down right miserable. I am trying to coax my wife to move to Florida, but she has yet to budge.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,909,711 times
Wow, This is quite an old post I started months ago. Here in NY now, we are in our "best" season....but winter will be back in a few months. It is nice to have some change of seasons......

We'll be back down there in a few weeks, just to see how the summer is there.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 AM

4,337 posts, read 6,026,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
This is my post... my own words. And here it is August and my husband and I are talking about putting our Florida house on the market and moving back to New England. How quickly we forget. Frank, you have the best of both worlds... NY in the summer and FL in the winter. This is our goal too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or