Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA to FL View Post
I agree that my family and I are most likely going to feel more at home in one of the two cities and that likey will make our decision. We definitely like to stay busy but we are good at creating our own activities so I am sure that either city would work for us in that regard.

The sunset issue is an important one. My house in Tahoe (Incline Village) gets awesome sunset views over the lake and mountains. My house in SoCal also gets great sunsets (through the smog ) and we love them. I visited St. Pete Beach about 5 years ago and I do remember a couple of really nice sunsets over the water.

I booked our air and car this morning and I am working on the hotel situations as we speak. I will continue to monitor the board for more input. I will also post a summary of our trip and our decision once we have decided.

BTW, we just had two earthquakes tonight (so far). My boys do not like them. I wonder how they are going to like hurricanes???
One thing I can say about hurricanes as opposed to earthquakes is that you usually have ample time to leave and go somewhere else if you choose. Sometimes it's a week or so notice.

I'm a native Floridian and have never left the state due to a hurricane. Not to say that I wouldn't, it's just we never felt the need to. I will say that had we known Charley was going to turn at the last minute we probably would have packed up and left before he showed up. We didn't get any damage though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
As far as climate goes, I do believe the west coast of FL is definitely more humid during the summer than the east coast, especially inland. I live a block to the bay, downtown in Sarasota and yes I do get some breeze off the front porch (I have to say porch instead of lanai as I live in an big old FL cracker house), but it's different than the Atlantic breeze. Previously, living on Tampa Bay, we did get a breeze but it's not the same as an east coast wind.

Then I think it comes down to slower pace/big city look with small town feel of Sarasota to the east coast being more big city/faster pace....and I've always loved the Ft. Laud/W.Palm high rise on the intracoastal look...that's how I first saw Florida back in 1980 and I dig it. I do love SRQ because it gives me that in a nutshell on a smaller scale.

Education might come before climate along with city pace. I'm not familiar with the schools in Sarasota as my sons were on AMI for pre-school through fifth grade. Having been raised up north, I am not impressed with the education I see in FL be it public or private.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM

518 posts, read 868,570 times
Default Is my thinking right on this

I've been to both coasts in fla.I almost bought a condo near naples.I went down in the winter and saw a place I liked.went back on the fourth of july to look again and see just how hot it is in the summer months.Naples was 100 degrees but with a nice breeze off the gulf and if you stayed in the shade it was quite pleasant being out side altough I noticed it to be much noisier in the summer from I think the palmetto bugs creeking?. we left naples area and started back up north ,worked toward atlantic coast up to charleston S.C. and sahvanna GA. let me tell you it was so hot and humid in those towns you could'nt stand it.So when people tell me its to hot in fla. in the summer I just smile.Another question I've often wondered.Would the atlantic coast of Fla. tend to attract more folks from east coast cities like boston, n.y, jersey rather than midwesterners.I'm from Michigan and first impression was to stay near gulf coast due to the proxcimity to I- 75 corridor for easy access back up north.And if that is true would fla. Atlantic coastal towns be more expensive as far as cost of living ,restaurants,because you need twice as much money to live in boston ,new york ,ect than midwest towns.Also I read about atlantic side being breezy I thought that the pevailing westerly breezes would make the east cost less breezy.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
I've been to both coasts in fla.I almost bought a condo near naples.I went down in the winter and saw a place I liked.went back on the fourth of july to look again and see just how hot it is in the summer months.Naples was 100 degrees but with a nice breeze off the gulf and if you stayed in the shade it was quite pleasant being out side altough I noticed it to be much noisier in the summer from I think the palmetto bugs creeking?. we left naples area and started back up north ,worked toward atlantic coast up to charleston S.C. and sahvanna GA. let me tell you it was so hot and humid in those towns you could'nt stand it.So when people tell me its to hot in fla. in the summer I just smile.Another question I've often wondered.Would the atlantic coast of Fla. tend to attract more folks from east coast cities like boston, n.y, jersey rather than midwesterners.I'm from Michigan and first impression was to stay near gulf coast due to the proxcimity to I- 75 corridor for easy access back up north.And if that is true would fla. Atlantic coastal towns be more expensive as far as cost of living ,restaurants,because you need twice as much money to live in boston ,new york ,ect than midwest towns.Also I read about atlantic side being breezy I thought that the pevailing westerly breezes would make the east cost less breezy.
It used to be that NYer's got on 95 and ended up in Ft. Laud/Miami & Michiganders got on 75 south & ended up on the west coast of FL, scattered. It's more mixed up than it used to be but I would say the East coast has always been more cosmopolitan.

Again, we've got the beautiful sunsets on the west but there's something about watching the sunrise over the Atlantic that's just as fine. Depends what you want.

As far as expensiveness, don't kid yourself, it's not cheap anywhere, anymore in FL....I was in the store w/mom last night at Sweetbay in (yeah, I know, of all places, Bradenton)...everything was $4.95 and I am not exagerating. Prices just jumped up as soon as season began be it in the restaurants or food in the supermarket. And the Baskin Robins closed up on Manatee Ave....imagine that? They haven't had 31 flavors for a long time anyhow; no big deal.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 20,544 times
Is Riverview and Valrico a safe enviroment?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 PM

518 posts, read 868,570 times
I like the st.pete area ,nice beaches more going on ,glad i didnt buy naples area,I would be bored in no time,nothing to do.from what i observed and read about on this forum is florida is overpriced overcrowded and to much crime .seems like every deralick in the country heads for florida.every episode of COPS is from florida.I think i'll stay home and daydream how florida used to be.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,136 times
At least with hurricanes you get some warning, unlike either earthquakes OR tornadoes. My sister lives in Del Mar, CA and I live in Wisconsin. We never get warnings!!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w;
Also I read about atlantic side being breezy I thought that the pevailing westerly breezes would make the east cost less breezy.
I live about seven blocks from the intracoastal and almost 2 miles from the beach (atlantic side) as the crow flies, and I am amazed at how breezy it gets. Growing up, I lived about 10 miles inland and it wasn't nearly as constantly breezy.

Makes for very nice evenings!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 PM

38 posts, read 153,410 times
I was in your position last April. My husnband and I visited Sarasota and Jupiter, and we were much more impressed with Jupiter. My husbands family has a vacation home on the gulf coast, so I've spent more time there and found Jupiter to be exactly what we are looking for. In April 08, there were literally 2, 3 or 4 for sale signs on EVERY block - there were many more foreclosures and homes for sale in Sarasota than in Jupiter. Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens are much more affluent, and there is more shopping, better restaurants etc. Sarasota is beautiful, but seems a bit seedy and run down in some areas. The gulf coast is great to visit, but for raising a family Jupiter gets my vote - we'll be moving this summer.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:45 PM

38 posts, read 153,410 times
as far as sunsets go - you can always watch the sun set over the intracoastal waterway or Jupiter Inlet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida