Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Culturally (not geographically), Florida is mostly...
Southern (i.e. Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina) 82 45.30%
NOT Southern 99 54.70%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seogorilla View Post
Well for one I have lived in Miami nice I love it,

Orlando great but its all people from over seas now as americans are to broke to afford it.

And where I live now Martin County or Stuart Florida , not a nice place cops are real bad always on

someones butt ,

The most expensive no where town you have ever seen , you can easy see 70% of the homes upside down in vaule .

We got real worked up when we got a walmart and the people are just strange really , hey its for old people they dont really like kids around.

Rednecks and Old people and we roll up the side walks at 9pm so its not the real south but plenty of KKK ers they just hide out.

Old people dont care as long as walgreens is 24 /7 for booze and pills .

Dont move here do yourself and kids a favor

Lol, Stuart is a great place to raise a family (and the surrounding towns in Martin County). Housing is not expensive, schools are A rated, crime isn't bad, most shopping you need is easily within reach. A lot of people specifically move to Martin County when they have kids for the good schools.

My secretary lives in Palm City and has raised three children through college and grad school. My colleague lives in and has about four generations of her large extended family in Stuart. Another friend of mine is raising three kids in Stuart (Martin Downs area). I grew up in PSL, just North of Stuart. Life in whatever overpriced stuffy subdivision you chose to reside in is not representative of the whole area.

Not enough to do in Stuart? Here's a hint -- don't move to a town of 15000 people if you want a party atmosphere!!!!! Drive yourself the 20-30 mins to Palm Beach County if you want all night entertainment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 12:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I have heard that over and over again from people from up north, especially NY. I guess folks from the northern states cant even imagine that in the south, people actually do care how you are doing, and do want to know where you grew up, or where you go to church. I guess some folks from up north seem to think it isnt genuine because it doesnt happen in NY. And we all know how things are only done the right way in NY.
What throws me is actually how little Southerners do care about how you're doing when they ask you the question. My Midwestern self still wants to assume that someone asking me those questions is doing so for more than just being polite. It's because they genuinely want to know more about me or care about me as a person.

Which has set me up for hurt on more than one occasion when I thought real friendship was being offered and well, it wasn't. It was just Southern 'manners' and they didn't give a whit about me.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:18 PM

210 posts, read 664,833 times
"Northwest Florida folks talk with a twang and invite you in with Dixie hospitality. Oaks and pines, not palms and orange trees, grace roadsides brightened with magnolias, camellias, and azalea blossoms. Restaurants serve fried catfish and hush puppies. This may be Northern Florida, but it's still the Deep South, sure as neighboring Alabama--and much surer than Florida's southern reaches, where influences from the Yankee states hold sway (Walton, and Kennedy 277)." Walton, Chelle Koster, and Sara Kennedy. Fun with the Family Florida. Rev. ed. 1. Guilford, Connecticut : Morris Book Publishing, 2008. 277. Print.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
yes they are a little southern but true southern, not twangy like other southern states. I know lots of Floridians, their accents are different and I don't really consider them to have southern accents.
"Northwest Florida folks talk with a twang and invite you in with Dixie hospitality. Oaks and pines, not palms and orange trees, grace roadsides brightened with magnolias, camellias, and azalea blossoms. Restaurants serve fried catfish and hush puppies. This may be Northern Florida, but it's still the Deep South, sure as neighboring Alabama--and much surer than Florida's southern reaches, where influences from the Yankee states hold sway (Walton, and Kennedy 277)."
Walton, Chelle Koster, and Sara Kennedy. Fun with the
Family Florida. Rev. ed. 1. Guilford, Connecticut : Morris
Book Publishing, 2008. 277. Print.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Certain parts of Florida are the deep south

And the only part of Florida that is not the South is Miami

I hate to break it to the Florida residents, but you are considered SOUTHERN!!!
you know this Yankees' got some good sense about him.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Certain parts of Florida are the deep south

And the only part of Florida that is not the South is Miami

I hate to break it to the Florida residents, but you are considered SOUTHERN!!!
Right but when you're raised by parents from Detroit & Chicago, and most of the people you know speak with New York, Boston, and Chicago accents, you really must question which environment you become a product of: geography or culture. So I hate to break it to you, but it seems like you don't have the proper perspective on this issue.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 PM

146 posts, read 225,123 times
Culturally, Florida is a microcosm of the United States. We have a substantial foreign-born population, many folks originally from the Northeast and Midwest, a smaller sampling from the West Coast, and not a negligble number of "true Southerners" north of Orlando. One of the largest urban agglomerations in the country in Southeast Florida combined with various mid-tier metros, smaller cities, and rural areas. In other words, our demographics look largely like the demographics of the nation as a whole.

Are we a vintage Deep Southern state such as Mississippi or Alabama? Absolutely not - we couldn't be further apart culturally. But seeing as some people consider even Maryland and Delaware to be "Southern", I suppose it depends on how one uses that term.

I vote no, not primarily Southern, with the majority here. Particularly given the influence of South Florida - where Southern culturally is basically nonexistent - this seems obvious.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
Culturally, Florida is a microcosm of the United States. We have a substantial foreign-born population, many folks originally from the Northeast and Midwest, a smaller sampling from the West Coast, and not a negligble number of "true Southerners" north of Orlando. One of the largest urban agglomerations in the country in Southeast Florida combined with various mid-tier metros, smaller cities, and rural areas. In other words, our demographics look largely like the demographics of the nation as a whole.

Are we a vintage Deep Southern state such as Mississippi or Alabama? Absolutely not - we couldn't be further apart culturally. But seeing as some people consider even Maryland and Delaware to be "Southern", I suppose it depends on how one uses that term.

I vote no, not primarily Southern, with the majority here. Particularly given the influence of South Florida - where Southern culturally is basically nonexistent - this seems obvious.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymage View Post
WHat do southerners think of disney world in there state?
I won't go as far as to say I'm a hardcore Southerner, but I think Disney is a necessary evil, so to speak.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 AM

146 posts, read 225,123 times
I'm not sure what point you're making. First, that image is from the 9th Census, which occurred in 1870 - are you arguing that Florida today resembles Florida in 1870?

Secondly, I'm assuming that you're linking cotton production to being "Southern." In that case, according to your own map, Kentucky and Virginia are absolutely not Southern. I would advise you to not try to make that point in the KY and VA forums, respectively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida