Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweating in Florida View Post

Florida has more affordable houses in most places but don't forget that you will need hurricane, wind, flood, water damage, tornado, and lightening storm insurance coverage. Also, need a generator.
All of that insurance is rolled into one policy. The only thing not covered under a general HOI policy is flood insurance.

Sometimes when I hear people in 2009 complaining about HOI prices as if it was the same as it was just 2-3 years ago right after the storms, I truly believe those people have not made any effort to shop for new insurance. Rates have come down tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweating in Florida
If you have a pool home because of the extreme heat + humidity, you will have to pay for pool cleaning. Even at 75 degrees it can be uncomfortable with humidity.
Are you trying to say you have to pay for pool cleaning because someone can't stand to be in the heat for 15 minutes each week? I know plenty of people with pools who clean their own pools, or they have a "creepy crawly" thing that does it automatically every day.

People, Florida is SUBtropical. It is not TROPICAL. Let's stop pretending that FLorida is the hottest place on earth or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM

147 posts, read 568,654 times
We love Orange County, Ca compared to any of the places we lived in Florida

Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 PM

102 posts, read 309,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
All of that insurance is rolled into one policy. The only thing not covered under a general HOI policy is flood insurance.

Sometimes when I hear people in 2009 complaining about HOI prices as if it was the same as it was just 2-3 years ago right after the storms, I truly believe those people have not made any effort to shop for new insurance. Rates have come down tremendously.

Are you trying to say you have to pay for pool cleaning because someone can't stand to be in the heat for 15 minutes each week? I know plenty of people with pools who clean their own pools, or they have a "creepy crawly" thing that does it automatically every day.

People, Florida is SUBtropical. It is not TROPICAL. Let's stop pretending that FLorida is the hottest place on earth or something!

Ok, to be anal, Florida is "subtropical" and we all know that but don't have to always say it.

If you have lived in or have been in southern California before and in Florida, you know the dry warm weather is sooo much more pleasant than the sticky weather in Florida.

Some people in Florida don't mind being sweaty and sticky all the time and it is ugliest of ugly I have seen anywhere. Some people clean their own pools, do their own yard work, cut the grass, paint their own house, fix everything themselves, and build onto their own house. It's a different story for us who work, have 3 small children and have a life.

Just beware of insurances and investigate and research car and home insurance thoroughly. You don't want to find out the details the hard way. My brother in law has lived here since he was a kid and he is now a brooker/realtor and he was screwed by his insurance company after Charlie in Punta Gorda because of a technicality.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Some people in Florida don't mind being sweaty and sticky all the time and it is ugliest of ugly I have seen anywhere. Some people clean their own pools, do their own yard work, cut the grass, paint their own house, fix everything themselves, and build onto their own house. It's a different story for us who work, have 3 small children and have a life.
So is it the heat and humidity that keeps you from doing your own pool, or your busy life? Sounds to me like it's the latter.

Quote:
Just beware of insurances and investigate and research car and home insurance thoroughly. You don't want to find out the details the hard way. My brother in law has lived here since he was a kid and he is now a brooker/realtor and he was screwed by his insurance company after Charlie in Punta Gorda because of a technicality.

What technicality is that? Technicalities exist in homeowner's policies in every state. Be it earthquake and fire insurance in California, tornado and flood insurance in the mid-west, or windstorm coverage along the SE coast.

I routinely deal with hurricane related litigation and I find that 50% of the time at least, those people who are denied coverage are rightfully denied because they're trying to get money.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweating in Florida View Post
Ok, to be anal, Florida is "subtropical" and we all know that but don't have to always say it.

If you have lived in or have been in southern California before and in Florida, you know the dry warm weather is sooo much more pleasant than the sticky weather in Florida.

I love San Diego temperatures

Having dealt with the humidity of the west coast of FL for the past 19 years, I've grown used to it (i.e. today is a winter day to me minus snow).

Old 01-15-2009, 01:25 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So is it the heat and humidity that keeps you from doing your own pool, or your busy life? Sounds to me like it's the latter.

What technicality is that? Technicalities exist in homeowner's policies in every state. Be it earthquake and fire insurance in California, tornado and flood insurance in the mid-west, or windstorm coverage along the SE coast.

I routinely deal with hurricane related litigation and I find that 50% of the time at least, those people who are denied coverage are rightfully denied because they're trying to get money.
Here's a "great" technicality for you. Last June here in Wisconsin we had terrible flooding. One of our very busy touristy lakes broke through the bridge, over the road, and joined the Wisconsin River. Three houses fell right in and went with, right down the river.
So, all those little mom and pop hotels, campgrounds, restaurants, watercraft rental places, etc. had no lake off which to make their annual income. Hard to rent hotel rooms, campgrounds and boats when you have a now dry lake bottom!! So they tried to collect on their flood insurance and business insurance. THeir insurance companies told them it wasn't the water that caused their lack of business, it was the lack of water!!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:37 AM

88 posts, read 413,827 times
I left So Cal, Newport beach area, four years ago for Tequesta, FL. Never looked back and never want to return to So. Cal. where I had spent about 30 hears. Fl is just different and there is really no comparison to So. Cal. in people, food, income, housing, weather, traffic, beaches, lifestyle, etc. The two are just different.

I did ell my house in So. Cal and was able to buy a bigger house, 150 yards from the inlet, on a 4x bigger lot, for less than half the price and less then half the property taxes.

If you lived in So Cal in the 60s and 70's, and enjoyed it, then you may enjoy So. FL. If the only So. Cal you know is from the 90s and 2000s, and you enjoyed it, then FL is probably not for you since it is very different in all aspects. My main issue with Fl is the season when we are flooded with those from the North. I would rather have the 'canes and 99% humidity.

That said, I see at least 1 new CA license plate a week. It is too far and those pole did not drive here for a week or two. I have also meet several people from So. Cal who moved here and love it.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:45 AM

130 posts, read 265,408 times
One thing you can't forget is that Central Florida is really southern and if you like Confederte Flags and good ole boys you will love it..... As far as comparing Tampa to L.A. well there is no comparison..... Los Angeles is full of crime and gangs and traffic and so on. Tampa is a nice southern city with good country folk..... you better check the area out if you think its going to be anything like L.A. You are in for a shock if you really think Tampa or Central Florida are anything close to Califorina!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:03 PM

292 posts, read 956,392 times
Do not move to South Florida- Orlando is better for kids- so is Jax. Miami is a dead zone- just read some of the postings on the Miami forum. You would be better off in Central or North Florida.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I lived in Southern California last year and am now in Southern Florida for the winter. I am from MI. Anyhow I don't think you can really compare Florida to California. I am single and 30 so am in a different place in life so to speak. I think if I were you the place I would choose is where my family could have the best life style and opportunity. It seems like to have a family in Ca with a nice home would be very expensive but if you can do it I think it is a nicer feel then FL in the outer areas not so much in LA. Have you thought of other places that may be nice to raise a family like Texas?I feel in all places I have been there has been pros and cons. Overall I feel FL has not been the most friendly experience but it probably is in the area I am at because I have heard that from others on here. Good luck and try not to glorify things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida