U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2012, 01:53 PM
 
6 posts, read 4,715 times
Reputation: 10
Default Waldo Speed Trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami HurricaneZ View Post
I only write speeding tickets for 15+ over the speed limit on the highway and 10+ in residential areas. I am very active when it comes to traffic enforcement. Speed Limits are posted for a reason. Obey them and you will not have a problem.

I can't comment on Waldo Police Department because I'm not familiar with them. However I know they are always talked about for being the worst speed trap in the country. Starke and Lawtey, Florida are also mentioned.
Miami Hurricane just a few quick questions. When you enforce a speed limit do you have the correct signage posted? Is it the correct color? Is it at the correct height? Is it the correct retroreflectivty? Are the signs posted at the proper distance? All these items are covered in the MUTCD. From what I remember of the area as it was 5:30 am I was more interested in animales running into the road but nothing I stated above seems to be the case. I just got my drivers abstract and the last violation recorded was back in 1983. If I had more time to spend in Fla. I would have contested the ticket. Last question when ya stop someone do you require driver to show Lic. Reg. and proof of insurance? All the officer requested was Lic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
 
Location: South/Central Florida
109 posts, read 67,599 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersiedevil12 View Post
Miami Hurricane just a few quick questions. When you enforce a speed limit do you have the correct signage posted? Is it the correct color? Is it at the correct height? Is it the correct retroreflectivty? Are the signs posted at the proper distance? All these items are covered in the MUTCD. From what I remember of the area as it was 5:30 am I was more interested in animales running into the road but nothing I stated above seems to be the case. I just got my drivers abstract and the last violation recorded was back in 1983. If I had more time to spend in Fla. I would have contested the ticket. Last question when ya stop someone do you require driver to show Lic. Reg. and proof of insurance? All the officer requested was Lic.
Hi and thank you for the response. Of course the correct signage is posted in regards to color, height, distance, ect. FDOT takes care of all that and we have nothing to do with it. I don't blame you for being careful about the animals on the roadway during that time of morning. When I stop someone I always ask them for their license, registration, and proof of insurance. All 3 are ticketable offenses (Non-Moving) if you do not carry them. I usualy never write citations for not having registration or proof of insurance but will write for not carrying a drivers license. It depends on the cop though whether they ask for for all that information or not. Stay safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM
 
6 posts, read 4,715 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami HurricaneZ View Post
Hi and thank you for the response. Of course the correct signage is posted in regards to color, height, distance, ect. FDOT takes care of all that and we have nothing to do with it. I don't blame you for being careful about the animals on the roadway during that time of morning. When I stop someone I always ask them for their license, registration, and proof of insurance. All 3 are ticketable offenses (Non-Moving) if you do not carry them. I usualy never write citations for not having registration or proof of insurance but will write for not carrying a drivers license. It depends on the cop though whether they ask for for all that information or not. Stay safe!
Hurricane I think if anyone took an audit of signage in Waldo at best it would be found lacking. Yellow and black speed limit sign and other items listed in previous post are all sub-standard. I dont know how you can enforce something with those defects. when I was pulled over I thought once the Officer ran my Lic. and saw no violations in over 20 years I might be cut a break,but that didnt happen as I was an out of state driver and there was no one else on the road. Waldo better hope I never win a large lottery cause I am gonna go and buy it and fire the Police
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 PM
 
Location: South/Central Florida
109 posts, read 67,599 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Hurricane I think if anyone took an audit of signage in Waldo at best it would be found lacking. Yellow and black speed limit sign and other items listed in previous post are all sub-standard. I dont know how you can enforce something with those defects. when I was pulled over I thought once the Officer ran my Lic. and saw no violations in over 20 years I might be cut a break,but that didnt happen as I was an out of state driver and there was no one else on the road. Waldo better hope I never win a large lottery cause I am gonna go and buy it and fire the Police
I understand the frustration. I hope someone does audit the signage of Waldo. Have you contacted FDOT? Waldo PD seem to only care about Traffic Enforcement and nothing else. While Traffic is "my thing", there is also other aspects to law enforcement. Unfortunately I do not think Waldo PD understands this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 03:55 AM
 
6 posts, read 4,715 times
Reputation: 10
Default Waldo Speed Trap

Hurricane I believe Waldo understands that there other things in law enforcement then traffic enforcement they just dont care. They know they have a cash cow with out of stated drivers to fund them. If you could take from other post that Waldo gets 85 percent of their revenue from ticket writting then there is not much incentive to do much else. I am not sure if I contacted FDOT it would do much good as I am over 1000 miles away and I already paid the ticket. A little backround on myself so you understand I am not here to just complain. Everyday for the past 30 years I have worked with a small police department that covers a small area of a square mile and I have never seen this type of behavior from them or do i think it would be tollerated from our goverment officials. We are also a tourist town and depend on outside money to survive. Not in the form of writting tickets but to make the town more inviting to people to visit our merchants. a side note the friend I was visiting in Fla. is a retired Police Officer who was in traffic safety. And for myself I produce and sell MUTCD signs as a sideline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Jupiter, FL
1,163 posts, read 1,066,280 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersiedevil12 View Post
Yellow and black speed limit sign and other items listed in previous post are all sub-standard.
Speed limit signs are always white. The yellow signs are just recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: South/Central Florida
109 posts, read 67,599 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersiedevil12 View Post
Hurricane I believe Waldo understands that there other things in law enforcement then traffic enforcement they just dont care. They know they have a cash cow with out of stated drivers to fund them. If you could take from other post that Waldo gets 85 percent of their revenue from ticket writting then there is not much incentive to do much else. I am not sure if I contacted FDOT it would do much good as I am over 1000 miles away and I already paid the ticket. A little backround on myself so you understand I am not here to just complain. Everyday for the past 30 years I have worked with a small police department that covers a small area of a square mile and I have never seen this type of behavior from them or do i think it would be tollerated from our goverment officials. We are also a tourist town and depend on outside money to survive. Not in the form of writting tickets but to make the town more inviting to people to visit our merchants. a side note the friend I was visiting in Fla. is a retired Police Officer who was in traffic safety. And for myself I produce and sell MUTCD signs as a sideline.
Waldo has a population of a whopping 821 residents. LOL. The city is 1.7 square miles in size. It sounds like they do not have anything else to do. The crime rate is well below the U.S. average to (Probably because of the size) I couldn't work in Waldo.

I know you are not on here to complain, I understand the frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 PM
 
1 posts, read 690 times
Reputation: 11
Has anyone lately gotten a ticket for running a red light in Waldo? I was driving my Son home to Gainesville, Tuesday, and I have a clean driving record. I know about the speed trap, and always drive the limit. This time, I saw the officer sitting in front of the Flea Market in the center of the highway. I pointed him out to my Son, and said I am not speeding! He pulled me over. I did not know why! He walked up and asked me if I had trouble with my vision??? I said, No, Sir. He then said, I ran the red light and was seconds away from hitting another vehicle, causing an accident. I was flabbergasted! There were no other vehicles in any direction, at that time, and I know the light didn't turn red!
The more I think about it, the more I believe I am being extorted by Waldo! What kind of idiot runs a red light in front of a Police Officer? Not me! I have been driving more years that this officer has been alive! I also have a Motorcycle Endorsement, and have taken the Safety Course required by the State.
This is going to cost me $252! He did say I could fight it if I wanted to! So how many others have they done this same thing to??? Why didn't he ask me why I ran the light? Seems like that would have been a more proper question, HAD I actually done so! There are no cameras there, so it is my word against his! So, I am looking for anyone else who might have had this experience, or has fought a ticket in Waldo. Perhaps there is a class action suit here somewhere. Being a single Mom, with a college age Son, it won't be easy for me to pay this fine in 30 days. Thanks for listening! twfancyatyahoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 5,463,198 times
Reputation: 2217
Seems odd for your first post you locate a 2 month old post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Florida
2,065 posts, read 3,734,513 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Seems odd for your first post you locate a 2 month old post.
I think this thread comes up high in search engines when people are looking to complain about it.

There is a alot of first time posters in this thread wanting to vent about their experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top