Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
Is it right for the Waldo police department to have a quota for speeding tickets. Just this past week a police officer was the cause of an accident by pulling out in front of a car on County 24 to go after someone speeding which involved 3 cars. The officer involved in the accident was a Rooky -
should investigate the department to see if the officer was properly Trained and Licsened to be on patrol by him self.)
This same Rooky brags about writing 20 + tickets a day
What do you think.

Dan L
I was driving past Waldo around 10:00 p.m on our return trip to CT and have traveled the 301 route countless times with no incidents. I always thought of Waldo as a nice town to pass through, not any more after 2 tickets, and I wasn't even speeding, the officer who stopped me didn't really know who he wanted to stop...me or the guy in front of me, I received a 300.00 dollar fine for doing the right thing by pulling over to the right and stop sir..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:50 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,840,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersiedevil12 View Post
They know they have a cash cow with out of stated drivers to fund them. If you could take from other post that Waldo gets 85 percent of their revenue from ticket writting then there is not much incentive to do much else.
Is 301 between Gainesville and Starke a really big tourist route ?

I lived in the state and traveled all over the country and never, not once, made my way to 301 between Gainesville and Starke..

How much could they really make ?

Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,481,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Is 301 between Gainesville and Starke a really big tourist route ?

I lived in the state and traveled all over the country and never, not once, made my way to 301 between Gainesville and Starke..

How much could they really make ?

It's the best way to get to 95/10 from 75. A lot of people take it. Going 75 to 10 pushes you west.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 PM

782 posts, read 1,082,268 times
I've driven down RT301 countless times. To me, it's better than I-95 all the way down to Daytona area to take 4 across to Tampa.

Anyway, almost always, I see someone pulled over somewhere along 301. Just be mindful of the constant posted speed changes and you will be fine.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,348,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
I've driven down RT301 countless times. To me, it's better than I-95 all the way down to Daytona area to take 4 across to Tampa.

Anyway, almost always, I see someone pulled over somewhere along 301. Just be mindful of the constant posted speed changes and you will be fine.
Right, I just did the drive a few months ago to FL from PA and back, using 95 to 10 to 301 to 75. Rt. 301 seems to be better than the last time I used it several years ago -- I think it's been widened and now bypasses the main streets of the little towns. But it's still nerve-wracking! I actually turned the radio down so I could fully concentrate on the speed limit signs, which are constantly changing (that's how they get you!). It goes from 55 to 45 to 35 and back again, numerous times. I used my cruise control to regulate my speed so it wasn't even ONE mile over the limit. Thank goodness I made the round-trip without incident. Despite the speed traps, it still is better than cutting across the state via I-4 and having to deal with Orlando traffic.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,840,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Thank goodness I made the round-trip without incident. Despite the speed traps, it still is better than cutting across the state via I-4 and having to deal with Orlando traffic.
Seems like I'd prefer to add the 10 minutes to my drive and take 95 to I-4, but it's all preference..

I'll admit, I haven't used I-95 too much as most of my trips have been to the South, Midwest, and the western half of the US.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 PM

321 posts, read 856,910 times
If I ever happen through these towns, I think I'll intentionally drive really really slowly, like say 15 mph in a 45 zone. That way there's NO QUESTION that I'm not speeding.

I'd encourage everyone to do this, and see what happens.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
What would be the point of driving real slow? you wont be inconveniencing any one but yourself as there just isnt that much traffic if you are envisioning creating huge traffic lineups..Best to drive a few mph under the speed limit and avoid getting the cops attention all together.Cops love to get into powertrips with wiseguys..

Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,350 times
I agree whole heartedly that this area is VERY BAD. I will say though knowing that the area is as bad as it is about issuing tickets; I make it a point to drive at least 5 MPH UNDER the limit when going through. I have made multiple trips to: Tampa, Gainesville, Williston, Ocala, Belleview and Plant City. Thus far I've never seen any flashing lights behind my vehicle. My word of advice. When you're in an area that will nail you for being 1 MPH over the limit make it a point to be the most law abiding traveler possible and don't give them even the slightest reason for issuing you a ticket. Typically going over the speed limit will help you arrive at your destination.... oh maybe 10 or 15 minutes sooner.But if you get stopped.... well you have the loss of time as well as the loss of $$$$$$$. So..... just slow down folks,.... learn a little patience

Old 07-17-2013, 04:36 PM

8 posts, read 10,076 times
Waldo crime rate is something folks should look at ! They are above the national average in more than a few categories because most of the police force is engaged in hide ,then seek . .. They know the step down of the speed limits from the fastest MPH posted limit and the lower limit are too close together and a driver verily has time to adjust. Sure you have folks who drive there every day and never have a ticket , but name another city in the USA that exceeds Waldo's ticket issue rate . Glad I-75 is an option and just as fast between the points of destination ..Bob Sarasota, Fl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida