Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,248,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44 View Post
littlelovemuffin, need_affordable_home, and pines all need to get together for a good ole fashion hug.

The issues you see in Florida aren't local to Florida alone. Every problem you have exists in every state of this country.
Yeah, because the percentage of old people in Florida and Wisconsin is about the same and alligators frequently bee bop around the lakes in Kentucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44
Nothing about Florida is unique to Florida. Well, maybe not the mutant bugs. And perhaps the melting faces...and lungs.
Dunno, I gotta kick out of "nice beaches with tiny waves...". As a guy who likes to play in the waves I've always found Florida's waves to be...... Well..... tiny...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 09:51 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times
ditto............Florida rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44 View Post
littlelovemuffin, need_affordable_home, and pines all need to get together for a good ole fashion hug.

The issues you see in Florida aren't local to Florida alone. Every problem you have exists in every state of this country.
Nothing about Florida is unique to Florida. Well, maybe not the mutant bugs. And perhaps the melting faces...and lungs.

Does the state song need to be changed? Is it that bad?

Yes, stay at home moms are ruining the state of Florida as we know it. If they would all just get a job then the illegals would move out and take the stinging jelly fish with them. Then the old people with the blue-blockers would follow suit and adopt a shark and take the sharks to Lake Michigan.

Then we can take the kids who are no longer being raised by those pesky stay at home moms and we can have them place ice cubes on hot pavement so those Floridians who don't own shoes don't burn their feets.

Peace.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:29 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,151,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I'll let you figure it out for yourself.
OK, but what I can't figure is where the hell you're coming from. Some of your phrases sound downright environmentalist-good-old-boy-florida, and some resound of a transplant who has become disenchanted.

Which one are you?

Old 03-08-2007, 11:27 PM

37 posts, read 121,142 times
No, the state song needs to stay as well as some of the other Southern qualities that make the South the South.
Yet we always have some upity up northern who wants things changed. If you don't like Florida the way it is, don't move here.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:58 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,645,979 times
WHAT no more "way down upon the swanee river"? This is news to me. Is the new state song going to be "baby do the conga"?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:21 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,151,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelovemuffin View Post
No, the state song needs to stay as well as some of the other Southern qualities that make the South the South.
Yet we always have some upity up northern who wants things changed. If you don't like Florida the way it is, don't move here.
What ARE you talking about? Who wants to change the song?

By the way, I'm a native, and if you had any education, you might be able to spell "uppity northerners." You're the kind of person who gives real Floridians a bad name.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,248,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
WHAT no more "way down upon the swanee river"? This is news to me. Is the new state song going to be "baby do the conga"?
Or "Livin' La Vida Loca".....

Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 AM

131 posts, read 1,031,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Dunno, I gotta kick out of "nice beaches with tiny waves...". As a guy who likes to play in the waves I've always found Florida's waves to be...... Well..... tiny...
Maybe you're just not going to the right locations.

I'll have to look in my log, but this past year had the most surfable days we've had for a long time. Hurricane Florence produced some of the best waves we've had here in years.

Here's a shot I took of some double overhead waves (10+ foot faces) last fall...

Old 03-09-2007, 07:44 AM

131 posts, read 1,031,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelovemuffin View Post
No, the state song needs to stay
"Old Folks At Home", which is the real name of our state song was written by *gasp*, a Yankee. The only reason Stephen Foster picked the Suwannee River for the subject of his song is because he was looking for a southern river that could be pronounced in 2 syllables, hence the pronunciation in the song as Swanee.

Personally, if I had to pick a state song for Florida it would be Lochloosa, by JJ Grey or anything by Gamble Rogers.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,157,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
What ARE you talking about? Who wants to change the song?

By the way, I'm a native, and if you had any education, you might be able to spell "uppity northerners." You're the kind of person who gives real Floridians a bad name.
It is considered offensive to some African-Americans. In fact it was not played at governor Charlie Crist's inauguration for maybe the first time since who knows when, because he thought it may be offensive. They haven't used the original words for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida