U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:26 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,433,794 times

Advertisements

smoking hot babes

doesnt get too cold

not too many religious nuts (for the south...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 07:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,814,761 times

No offense, but that's a small home with neighbors very close. Not much groundbreaking style either, but to each his own! If you make 80K either both husband and wife work (how nice) or someone has a great job! So I guess that home cost 240K ( 3 x 80,000) which seems a bit high for a 2,000 sq foot or so single story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines
Could it be having a chance to lose your home during the wonderful Hurricane season every single year? Perhaps its those very militant bugs? Is it the Tornado Warnings during Christmas? Could it be the torrential monsoon season during the summer? Maybe its the old people driving around in their blueblockers running into everyone and beeping like they're at a gocart track? Is it that summer heat that just melts your face and lungs away when you get into your car? Or the burning sand and pavement that scorches your barefeet? Is it those beautiful beaches with tiny waves, and schools of jellyfish or sharks waiting to sting or nibble? Perhaps its the burning hot salty ocean water that just makes all of the sea life in such a good mood? Is it the adrenaline rush of swimming with the alligators in the lakes and rivers? Could it be some of the really weird people you can meet that just make you feel so comfortable? Perhaps its that awesome dried up, crusty brown winter? Or those half dead palm trees everywhere? Or those shanty 2bdr houses for 150-200k with rooms as small as closets and carports not big enough for cars? Is it the bombardment of new viruses or illnesses from tourists from all over the world? Or the many unrelenting humid days without electricity each year where your food goes bad, and your AC goes out due to giant thunderstorms? Is it the very limited and rotten produce sections at the supermarkets? Or the expenses for such quality food? Is it the brutal heat and burning sun in tradeskills jobs? Or the luxury jobs at gas stations and grocery stores? The lack of any insurance? Competing with illegal immigrants for just above minimum wages?

I'll let you figure it out for yourself

Finally an ACCURATE description of Florida life! LOL!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:00 PM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 141,705 times
WOW!!!! I experienced 100% of the things you said... You could not have said it better!!! That's why I moved back to WESTERN New England(NOT BOSTON, Boston is not the only place up here as some think) And for those who have an answer to everything, and love Florida... I LOVE SNOW, I want to shovel it, freeze in it, roll in it naked if I want..... Anything is better than down there!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Could it be having a chance to lose your home during the wonderful Hurricane season every single year? Perhaps its those very militant bugs? Is it the Tornado Warnings during Christmas? Could it be the torrential monsoon season during the summer? Maybe its the old people driving around in their blueblockers running into everyone and beeping like they're at a gocart track? Is it that summer heat that just melts your face and lungs away when you get into your car? Or the burning sand and pavement that scorches your barefeet? Is it those beautiful beaches with tiny waves, and schools of jellyfish or sharks waiting to sting or nibble? Perhaps its the burning hot salty ocean water that just makes all of the sea life in such a good mood?

Is it the adrenaline rush of swimming with the alligators in the lakes and rivers? Could it be some of the really weird people you can meet that just make you feel so comfortable? Perhaps its that awesome dried up, crusty brown winter? Or those half dead palm trees everywhere? Or those shanty 2bdr houses for 150-200k with rooms as small as closets and carports not big enough for cars? Is it the bombardment of new viruses or illnesses from tourists from all over the world? Or the many unrelenting humid days without electricity each year where your food goes bad, and your AC goes out due to giant thunderstorms? Is it the very limited and rotten produce sections at the supermarkets? Or the expenses for such quality food? Is it the brutal heat and burning sun in tradeskills jobs? Or the luxury jobs at gas stations and grocery stores? The lack of any insurance? Competing with illegal immigrants for just above minimum wages?

I'll let you figure it out for yourself.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 141,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Unfortunately, that is the exception, rather than the rule. I like to call the Gulf of Mexico a "giant bath tub". When people think of waves, they're usually imagining Hawaiian waves, which you simply can't compare to Florida waves.

And of course you need a hurricane or storm to get a wave higher than 10 inches in the brown gulf of mexico water. Florida's East coast beaches will embarras the Gulf coast beaches. They are FAR better....

Old 09-22-2007, 04:47 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,663,544 times
My husband & I both hail from New York (about 20 miles north of NYC). We grew up dealing with some brutal winter weather such as blizzards, white outs, black ice, freezing cold rain, hail storms, etc.

We know what it feels like to be snowed in for days on end..talk about cabin fever! Or having to get up extra early for work or school in freezing cold weather to de-ice your car's door locks and windshield? Brrrrrrrrr..

But aside from the winters (and we had some years with very mild winter weather), growing up in NY was a wonderful experience. The good outweighed the bad.

We re-located to S. Florida about 11 years ago (due to family illness). At first we hated it. But in time, we got used to the heat & humidy. In fact, we have become so acclimated to living in the tropics that even a slight drop in temperture makes us feel cold. (and we used to make fun of people wearing sweaters in 70 degree weater!). Now we are one of them!

We are also raisng our children here. Personally, I think S. Florida is a great place to raise kids. I have never seen a place that is so kid friendly. Plus we don't have to deal with brutal winters.

I guess what I am saying is that every state has something good and not so good about it. My only suggestion is you (not meaning you personally) either take the good with the bad, or find another place to live.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:57 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,023,182 times
What makes Florida so dang cool?

No income tax.

No shoveling snow.

No scraping ice off of windshields.

Blue skies most of the time as opposed to gray skies seven months a year.

Sunshine approx. 240 days a year vs. 177.

Beaches!

Warm weather ~ I wouldn't have to wear long underwear under my clothes for seven months a year just to be warm.

The ability to be outside the majority of the year without being cold.

No more cars sliding on the ice and rear ending me.

A slower paced life style.

Friendly people working in the grocery stores - Publix is terrific.

My parents are there and I'd like to spend time with them before they die.

Cheap flights ~ CVG has the highest priced flights in the country.

Palm trees, breezes, shorts, flipflops, a casual mind set that isn't here.

I could go on and on about why I intend to move to Florida as soon as I can after spending a lifetime in Cincinnati, but your mind is made up already. Every place in the world has good and bad points and it's up to you to whether to dwell on the bad or focus on the good. I hope you find your perfect spot and get happy. As for me, I've enjoyed my time here and I am eager to move on to a warmer sunnier place for phase two of my life.
Best wishes.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:31 AM

672 posts, read 691,747 times
Default That brutal only 20 miles from NYC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
My husband & I both hail from New York (about 20 miles north of NYC). We grew up dealing with some brutal winter weather such as blizzards, white outs, black ice, freezing cold rain, hail storms, etc.

We know what it feels like to be snowed in for days on end..talk about cabin fever! Or having to get up extra early for work or school in freezing cold weather to de-ice your car's door locks and windshield? Brrrrrrrrr..

But aside from the winters (and we had some years with very mild winter weather), growing up in NY was a wonderful experience. The good outweighed the bad.

We re-located to S. Florida about 11 years ago (due to family illness). At first we hated it. But in time, we got used to the heat & humidy. In fact, we have become so acclimated to living in the tropics that even a slight drop in temperture makes us feel cold. (and we used to make fun of people wearing sweaters in 70 degree weater!). Now we are one of them!

We are also raisng our children here. Personally, I think S. Florida is a great place to raise kids. I have never seen a place that is so kid friendly. Plus we don't have to deal with brutal winters.

I guess what I am saying is that every state has something good and not so good about it. My only suggestion is you (not meaning you personally) either take the good with the bad, or find another place to live.
I have lived for 55 years in NYC and Long Island. I didn't know only 20 miles north of the city had "brutal" winter weather. lol Good thing you didn't live upstate. As my daughter, who went to college in Cortland used to say, from October through April you cannot see the ground. Literally. Been there. Cortland isn't even as brutal as Buffalo. Been there too. Honestly, I would rather live with that than this here. We cannot leave because of jobs.

The weather in downstate NY is hardly "brutal". But maybe for some people, anything below 80 degrees is brutal?

To me, any thing OVER 70 degrees is brutal weather.

I guess the bottom line is that anyone who doesn't come to Flordia because they LOVE SUMMER, is simply going to HATE it here.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:45 AM

31 posts, read 138,831 times
Default Which Is Better?

Correct me if I'm steryotyping but I do seem to find that many thinner or in shape people enjoy lengthy periods of warm/hot weather more than heavier people do, unless they stay in the a/c, of course (Before you jump on me, I realize that nothing is ever 100% true). Wouldn't it go hand in hand that more active people would probably enjoy being outdoors playing or doing sport activities more? And isn't warm/hot weather more conducive to this? I had never been to Florida before a recent 1 month vacation and to be honest I had no want to ever be there, especially for a vacation. Wow, what a surprise! 95% of the time I couldn't wait to get out to go biking, swimming, hiking, and just basically be OUTSIDE. For nearly 60 yrs. I've lived in the "north" and do have to admit that I was never cold even though I worked outside all my career. Of course, I wore insulated coveralls, underwear, boots, socks, gloves, and a ski mask to keep from getting frost bite...and the only fun outdoor activities that I ever did in the winter was snowmobile or snow-ski (when it snowed and wasn't TOO cold). That was winter...spring and fall were nearly the same...LOTS of gray skies and LOTS of rain instead of snow. I HATE driving in the snow. Is it any wonder that autos seem to look better WAY longer in Florida than "up north"? When an auto dealer up here says this is a "Florida car" it means that it's automatically worth more. That's minor. There's an enormous amount of major positives about Florida. Many people who work inside in Florida want to do something OUTSIDE when they get off work. They're not thinking...it'll be nice and warm IN the house when I get home. How someone feels about a certain area can be due to many things, much of it psychological. If I were in Northern Siberia and met the love of my life there I'm sure that I would tell people that Northern Siberia was one of the greatest places on earth. What happens to us positively or negatively in an area will definitely affect our view of that area. Personally, I've decided to relocate to Florida. Enjoy where you are, and I'll definitely enjoy where I'll be. (-:

Old 09-22-2007, 10:04 AM

21 posts, read 46,205 times
Default stay at home moms needed

dont be so hard on stay at home moms, that is the hardest job you'll ever have and the pay is the lowest starting at "um let's see" $0.00. for that job you have to raise a child yourself (oh the irony) instead of shipping the child in to daycare so you can go to work for someone else (make them rich) take home your measley pay and all your stress, to spend 1 whole hour (after homework and dinner) of quality time with your child, so you can send him into the world with anger, fustration, lack of love & attention, and hope he doesnt shoot up his school, or rob an old person. as a stay at home mom you get the responsiblity to tell the police I raised him to be a good person and he was shot anyway. if people are going to "POP" out kids as you so elegantley put it, then they better stay home and raise them..

Old 09-22-2007, 10:10 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,434,866 times
Gregski99- Ever try raising an active 2yr old in a heat index of over 100 for days on end? Have any kids who love to go outside but can't because it is too hot or because of the love bugs. Do you know what love bugs are? Live here for awhile & find out. It's really fun. And you'll have that fun 2 months out of the year. Make sure you have lots of money to wash your car for those two months b/c they can destroy a paint job.

So many who can't wait to pack up & move here are retiring or not moving with young, young children. Reality & perspective is SO different than people who have to raise families or forced to move here due to a job.

If I had little to no responsiblity other than taking care of myself, than maybe I would
think playing tennis 12 months a year or boating all weekend long is the life. I also would have to assume paying 50% over market value for a "Florida style" home [laughable for the home here all look the same with no style] is a great deal.

And Gregski99, since you have NEVER lived here in the summer, I think the first sentence of your response is completely off mark & ridiculous. It is only backed up with your remark that you've been here ONCE! It is not safe to take a 2yr old outside when the heat index is 105 & humidity is 67%. And that is just not ONE day in SW FL, that is weeks & weeks. I was born & raised in the north. I never spent weeks & weeks scraping ice off my car & spent time skiing & running. Someone please give me accurate stats of weather & windchill in Ohio or PA where the windchill & air temp was considered "dangerous" for days & days on end....it happens in SW FL all the time in the summer. I would also like to know how many straight days below freezing there has been....not 150 straight days. I've yet to see a day below 90 since June here & add the awesome humidty & jack that temp up to 96-97. Grab the kiddies & start the heat exhaustion!

I am thin & until two years ago ran marathons. I've never despised a place as much as SW FL & the weather only helps irritate me more.

And take care of your car in the winter when you live in the north. It is called COMMON SENSE. Just as people have to prepare for hurricanes in FL; people have to prepare for snow & salt in the northern states. It's nothing new.

Sorry, Florida is not a vacation 24/7, 365. Oh, no wait...it is...it HAS TO BE b/c it is sunny & warm...ok...

If I was a realtor, I'd be BEGGING for some people to move down here who think paradise is Florida. With the the bomb of a housing market down here, I bet some sunshine & heat could get rid of the inventory. Come back 2 years later to these same people...good luck trying to sell your home or even find the market value reasonably close to what you paid for it.

Last edited by 121804; 09-22-2007 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or