Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:42 AM

1,247 posts, read 919,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Impressions View Post
Maybe you're just not going to the right locations.

I'll have to look in my log, but this past year had the most surfable days we've had for a long time. Hurricane Florence produced some of the best waves we've had here in years.

Here's a shot I took of some double overhead waves (10+ foot faces) last fall...

Unfortunately, that is the exception, rather than the rule. I like to call the Gulf of Mexico a "giant bath tub". When people think of waves, they're usually imagining Hawaiian waves, which you simply can't compare to Florida waves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 11:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,323,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44 View Post
Dear Pines,
These are all very good topics of discussion, however these issues should be brought up to your state representitive.
And I'm very sorry you have to compete with illegal immigrants for "just above mininum wages" jobs.
Yes, rotten produce does stink. And sometimes yes, quality food is expensive.
And sometimes the electric does go out during storms.
Carports didn't get smaller, cars got bigger.
Millitant bugs were here first. Maybe they are mad that you took over thier tropical forrest?
You really should wear shoes when walking on hot surfaces.
Half alive palm trees, think positive!
Yes, I also hate when old people are on my go-cart track. That is annoying.
Tornado warnings during Christmas are much worse than tornado warnings during the 4th of July. I got your back on that one.
Burning hot salty ocean water is where you lost me though.

Cheer up, it could be snowing!

Peace.
Pine, I guess your perception of Fla. is a bit different from mine cause I think it's beautiful in so many places there. Like Erkz said, I'm sorry that you have to compete with the illegals for just above minimum wage jobs. That will also be my situation when we live there. I realize that a lot of the members here have formal educations and that's great. I have friends who are educated and just love talking to them cause they're such interesting people. The educated are not facing the problem right now with competing with the illegals for jobs, but as I see it, they're one generation away from it and I don't think they'll like the way it feels. While people are out there working two jobs so they can send their children to college, the illegals are more then likely just waiting for the government to pay for the education of their children. Since the government always looks to improve life by educating people, they'll probably find the $$ to accomplish this, too. It could be your children or grandchildren who will be competing for "good" jobs some day and they'll be competing against the freely educated while they're trying to pay off the rest of their college loans. There's always a trickle affect and so often if one class of people isn't affected, they don't see the huge problem that it is until it's too late. I just hope that doesn't happen, but it doesn't look good.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM

99 posts, read 350,039 times
Default FL. A great place to visit.

What is great about Florida is the beaches and the sunshine. It's beautiful there 7 out of 12 months or more when it is ugly everywhere else. It's the best place for a "tropical" getaway in the US. California can't hold a candle to the weather/water temps etc. The majority of the country looks at Florida as the best place to be because it is advertised and talked about as such so the tourims industry will boom. And it "is" exactly that as long as you don't live there.

((The following goes mostly for popular tourist destinations or cities very near to the water..lauderdale, Tampa, Miami and suburbs etc.))
My opinion is that Fl is only a good place to live for the %1 of people who are worth millions or make and will always make 2-300k per year. It is not a great place for regular working stiffs because the heat will make you miserable when you are rushing to a job you hate and passing by all the
beauty you moved down there for. You can't enjoy it. If your Rich you
have a good job, a very nice car with great AC, and you don't have to rush to
work to punch a clock. You can make your schedule, take your time, take the
day off because you likely own a business etc. Everyone wants to be down there, everyone!! What people don't understand is it is not possible to have a quality of life as an average Joe. That is why you live elsewhere and reward
yourself with a week or so per year in paradise, that way it is enjoyable and special. Why would anyone middle class want to live around so many old people, immigrants, tourists and all the crap that goes with it. DUH??? people. Unless you are wealthy and can afford the high price of avoiding all
the BS you shouldn't be there. Old people also have money!! They have saved all of their lives and guess what they are going to go to the best place possible.

I have been to Florida over a dozen times and it doesn't take a genious to see that it would suck to live down there unless you are rich. Most of the affordable places to live look all weather beaten and touristy, people are rude, and everywhere you go there is a frantic crowd. The grocery stores are like shopping in a third world country. You can't go out to eat or out to clubs because everyone else and their brother are there. You can't find a parking spot, you can't get a table, you can't get to the bar and there is no elbow room anywhere!!! It's over ran. Fine on vacation but not for every weekend! There is a perfect place for everyones taste "for vacation" in Florida. But there aren't many places to live realisticly in paradise.

FLorida seems to be the most popular state on this message board, everyone
loves it or ..loves to hate it!!

Florida is like the hottest nightclub in a particular city. The radio says all the cool people go there, so all the idiots fight to get in, wait 3 hours to get in, pay $100 to get in, but once they get in they are packed like sardines, can't get to the bar because it is so crowded, can't afford the drink prices even if they could get to the bar. Then you have a few people up in the VIP section with plenty of room, AC, cold top shelf drinks, hot girls etc. Know your role if you go to Florida, it's not all glamour. There is a higher concentration of bad people there too, not only from immigrants, poverty etc, but all the dirtbags and lazy scum (of all races) love the beach too. Everyone needs to get smarter before Florida can become a better place. It isn't going to happen because people don't have any education or upbringing anymore especially in that kind of rat race.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:33 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,083,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataman1 View Post
What is great about Florida is the beaches and the sunshine. It's beautiful there 7 out of 12 months or more when it is ugly everywhere else. It's the best place for a "tropical" getaway in the US. California can't hold a candle to the weather/water temps etc. The majority of the country looks at Florida as the best place to be because it is advertised and talked about as such so the tourims industry will boom. And it "is" exactly that as long as you don't live there.

((The following goes mostly for popular tourist destinations or cities very near to the water..lauderdale, Tampa, Miami and suburbs etc.))
My opinion is that Fl is only a good place to live for the %1 of people who are worth millions or make and will always make 2-300k per year. It is not a great place for regular working stiffs because the heat will make you miserable when you are rushing to a job you hate and passing by all the
day off because you likely own a business etc. Everyone wants to be down there, everyone!! What people don't understand is it is not possible to have a quality of life as an average Joe. That is why you live elsewhere and reward
yourself with a week or so per year in paradise, that way it is enjoyable and special. Why would anyone middle class want to live around so many old people, immigrants, tourists and all the crap that goes with it. DUH??? people. Unless you are wealthy and can afford the high price of avoiding all
the BS you shouldn't be there. Old people also have money!! They have saved all of their lives and guess what they are going to go to the best place possible.

I have been to Florida over a dozen times and it doesn't take a genious to see that it would suck to live down there unless you are rich. Most of the affordable places to live look all weather beaten and touristy, people are rude, and everywhere you go there is a frantic crowd. The grocery stores are like shopping in a third world country. You can't go out to eat or out to clubs because everyone else and their brother are there. You can't find a parking spot, you can't get a table, you can't get to the bar and there is no elbow room anywhere!!! It's over ran. Fine on vacation but not for every weekend! There is a perfect place for everyones taste "for vacation" in Florida. But there aren't many places to live realisticly in paradise.

Florida is like the hottest nightclub in a particular city. The radio says all the cool people go there, so all the idiots fight to get in, wait 3 hours to get in, pay $100 to get in, but once they get in they are packed like sardines, can't get to the bar because it is so crowded, can't afford the drink prices even if they could get to the bar. Then you have a few people up in the VIP section with plenty of room, AC, cold top shelf drinks, hot girls etc. Know your role if you go to Florida, it's not all glamour. There is a higher concentration of bad people there too, not only from immigrants, poverty etc, but all the dirtbags and lazy scum (of all races) love the beach too. Everyone needs to get smarter before Florida can become a better place. It isn't going to happen because people don't have any education or upbringing anymore especially in that kind of rat race.

I think you are now talking about every state in the continental U.S.......

Listen, you get just as sweaty in Morgantown, West Virginia in the middle of August in a cow field....My xhusband & I decided (after his residency was up at WVU) that if we were going to be hot & sweaty, we might as well be sweating by a palm tree....

So, we moved here in '91....watched Bradenton morph from cowtown to Lakewood Ranch town....built a home on Tampa Bay, had babies, got divorced, gave up the money for my sanity....

Money isn't everything in Florida....some beaches are still free (Laughing at Ft. Lauderdale & the parking meters & lot way back of the corner pizzaria on the intracoastal.....but we may see the same here on the gulf coast soon....

Most people have always known that FL pays in sunshine....either get better educated

Old 03-09-2007, 02:05 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,160,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post

Listen, you get just as sweaty in Morgantown, West Virginia in the middle of August in a cow field....My xhusband & I decided (after his residency was up at WVU) that if we were going to be hot & sweaty, we might as well be sweating by a palm tree....

So, we moved here in '91....watched Bradenton morph from cowtown to Lakewood Ranch town....built a home on Tampa Bay, had babies, got divorced, gave up the money for my sanity....

Money isn't everything in Florida....some beaches are still free (Laughing at Ft. Lauderdale & the parking meters & lot way back of the corner pizzaria on the intracoastal.....but we may see the same here on the gulf coast soon....

Most people have always known that FL pays in sunshine....either get better educated
Fort Lauderdale had little choice with the metered parking. People abused the free parking hurting everybody. They would park there all day and be off somewhere else on the water taxi and so on. Metered parking at least gives you some shot at finding a place to park.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:42 PM

72 posts, read 297,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelovemuffin View Post
What makes Florida just so dang cool?

And most of them don't work, so they could care less about minimum wage. They are "stay at home moms" who let their husbands support them while they keep pushing out kids..........
Yeah! Outsiders are ruining the daycare industry! How dare these people raise their own children. How arrogant.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:49 PM

37 posts, read 121,200 times
What ARE you talking about? Who wants to change the song?

By the way, I'm a native, and if you had any education, you might be able to spell "uppity northerners." You're the kind of person who gives real Floridians a bad name.

Well if you would learn to read, pick up the Tampa Tribune. They want to change the state song to some BS about "Though I am not bred here, just gently led here.....................

And my bad, I was trying to use my Southern manners talking about Northerns. How's Damn Yankee suit you Sunshinegirl?

If were gonna change it, lets make it "Country Boy Can Survive"

Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 PM

232 posts, read 883,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post

Ladywithafan you mean you got DIVORCED and managed to RAISE kids in Florida? How are you ever managing since you dont fit the mold that has been brought to so many peoples attention under this topic? ....I know you must be one of the homeless since so many are attracted there right? LOL. Glad to see there are people in Florida who arent old, illegal,rich or homeless!!!!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataman1 View Post

A standing ovation for dataman1! Preach it!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:29 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,888,052 times
That really was a great post, dataman.
I like your night club simile.
Your description does not completely fit northern Florida, but we definitely have our challenges up here, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida