Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:12 PM

74 posts, read 346,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki713 View Post
My husband has been relocated to the Palm Coast/Daytona Beach area. And I am employed with the US Post Office and would like to know how to either swap with someone looking to come to Cincinnati Oh or just transfer period. If anyone has any ideas or information for please let me know Looking to transfer by June of 2007.
I'm not as negative about the place as RWF but I did visit PC a couple months ago hoping it was all I expected but it was not. I liked the area but as RWF said there is noting there. My biggest negative was the housing/neighborhoods. I drove all over the place for several days and for my price range (300k) I didn't like anything I saw. I'm probably going to retire on the west coast in the Homasassa area. Not much there either but I liked the neighborhoods and housing so much better for my money. Go to "PalmCoastBiz" if you want to hear from peolpe who actually live there. It's a pretty good forum but you have to realize they are pretty one sided and don't like to hear from anyone that tells them it's not all that good. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,260 times
have not been there yet. I am going at the end of September. I will get back with my version of Palm Coast. I too am being transferred to Fla. but I still have the opportunity to check things out before I move and rent/buy

Old 09-18-2007, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,235 times
Unhappy where do Palm Coasters work????

I have lived in Palm Coast for almost 2 years. It's a great place - old Florida - beautiful wildlife, and I like the slower pace (compared to Broward county). BUT THERE ARE NO JOBS!!!!!! I am even willing to drive to Daytona or Jax, but nothing even comes close to my salary range. Our house is now on the market as well - whatever comes first, a buyer or a job - we will take! I hope it's the job - I would love to stay, but I am not optimistic...

Old 09-19-2007, 07:27 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,151,614 times
Did you have a job lined up before you moved to PC?

Yep, there's very little here job-wise, unless you're in the health care field or willing to do the part-time thing at WalMart or Publix. Just look at the help wanted ads in the Daytona Beach News Journal...scary!

12 long-time county courthouse employees were just laid off, as they moved into the brand new million dollar courthouse. The dying (dead) construction industry has hit this county HARD.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 AM

74 posts, read 346,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
No, I can't find anything good about the place. I guess if you want to say it's close to Flagler Beach it might be a good thing. But then why not just go to Flagler Beach? Palm Coast downright su cks. There's nothing good. The communities are horrible, no shopping, higher crime, it's a crap hole.

You said it's up and coming? That is a joke and certainly shows me you have never set foot in the town. There's nothing up and coming about Palm Coast. They have things "planned" for the place but haven't even come close to breaking ground on most of it. It's years away...

You are wanting a place for your animals and are desperate. It might be a good place for desperate people. I'm not in that situation so I would not choose to ever live there. It sounds like you are talking yourself into it and maybe you'll love it. Everyone has their own opinion. While I think it's awful you might think it's the best city ever. And it's not a personal vendetta against. I'm just honest. From a distance it looks good, prices look good, they brag about the new town center, etc. And when you get there you are standing a town of nothing scratching your head and saying "what???" because it's nothing like what was sold to you.

I know, I was in your position not so long ago, across country looking at Palm Coast online. I thought it looked great. When I got to this side of the country I was there 10 minutes and announced "I would never live here." What you see online and what's reality in person are two vastly different things. I'm trying to give people the "real" picture prior to choosing the place.
I pretty much agree with you. I visited in May expecting much more based on what I've read on the PC forum but was truly disappointed with the neighborhoods. I was there for several days and drove throughout the various sections yet found nothing that impressed me. Nothing!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:30 AM

237 posts, read 1,078,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rttampabay View Post
I need some real info on Palm Coast from folks who live there. Move there or not? I don't care about the shopping or having to drive. I want to know the truth on crime and people. Are there a lot of bugs in homes and snakes, alligators????
I've lived in Palm Coast for the past year and a half. I'm originally from Wisconsin, and it was a relief to leave the 40 below zero temperatures and enjoy a Floridian winter season.

Personally, I moved to Palm Coast because my parents have lived here for the past 10+ years, so my move was based on living with my folks to save some money. I wouldn't have chosen Palm Coast for myself because finding a job was impossible. I've had two different jobs since being in Palm Coast - the first I had to drive to Daytona Beach (a 45 minute commute), the second to St. Augustine (another 45 minute commute).

Also, I'm a 26 year-old single female. I'm not a "night life" or "party person" and have never required the bar scene or night clubs, however I do like being social. Unfortunately, most of the residents in Palm Coast are either married with children or retired. It's been very difficult making friends, and even after a year and a half I'm still very isolated & miss having someone to chat with over coffee, or just having an acquitance to go to the movies with!

All of that being said, I don't hate Palm Coast or feel the need to "bash" the area, it's simply not a right fit for me because I'm in my mid/late twenties and am in a different stage of my life than most of the residents here.

As for crime, there's very little criminal activity here (unless you count the way people run red lights! ). I've never felt uncomfortable in any part of Palm Coast. Speaking of running red lights, though, it took a while to get used to the way people drive here. (Maybe because I'm from the Midwest?) The entire state drives exceptionally fast, refuses to use directionals, and flips the bird without hesitation. It can be slightly comical.

You were asking about the people who live here. Most of the residents are not native Floridians. The population is mostly comprised of former residents of the Northeast. You can see a lot of the Jersey/New York culture here. If you're from this area, that's a definite plus. For me, I often feel left out when everyone starts to talk about "such and such" place of 14th. I've been told that the Big Apple Attitude isn't nearly as bad as it is when you actually live in Jersey/NYC, but I guess that depends on the kind of people you live among now. It's important to remember (and I remind myself often) that there are rude people everywhere, not just Palm Coast.

As for bugs...well, hmm....The bugs in FL are rather horrifying, but they're not as bothersome as you'd think. You can spray your home for bugs, which my parents do. There's rarely any bugs in the house. I house-sitted for my step-grandmother and she doesn't spray, but still there were only a few small spiders to kill. The little lizards are the strangest things to get used to. They're everywhere, but completely harmless, and actually quite adorable. They don't bite, but if they get into your house it's difficult to catch them because they move FAST. Alligators don't live in residential areas, and I haven't seen a snake in anyone's house. The best advice is to make sure you don't leave your windows/doors open!

Hope this helps!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,356 times
Where are you now? What is a good location to see?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM

147 posts, read 565,983 times
It sucks. Nothing but malcontents and people bemoaning what they don't have

Old 05-01-2009, 04:20 PM

14 posts, read 43,115 times
I am a Florida native, one of the 5% living in PC. the Place is personification of runaway growth. all the hassles of a city with none of the conviences.... crowded and rude. I freely admit I didnt do my homework before returning to Florida following a 10 year absence. Its a Disneyesque fantasy of what new yorkers think Florida should be. I wouldnt recommend this place even to someone who I didnt like. Yes, I am trying to move but my house is so upside down its almost rightside up again.... but dont take my word for it... youo may like this make-believe version of Florida.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:24 PM

14 posts, read 43,115 times
Palm Coast is anything BUT Old-Florida....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida