Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:48 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times

Advertisements

We just got back to the hotel and the Old City is very calm. This is bikers week but is not a mad-house. We walked from one end of St George St to Cuna and Ipolita street and to the Fort nothing out of the ordinary. We visit this area 4 times a year and can't complain about nothing. I have visited the good, bad and ugly and I don't see crime or loud people.

The also have the seafood Festival by Ponce de Leon St and was slow. We stop this afternoon at Price of Wales for a few pints of beer (happy Hour all day long) and we had a late dinner at Columbia restaurant (four start rest) and the town was again very slow. Anyway was great for us... Getting on the road back to Navarre late tomorrow afternoon...

Best place to visit in Florida....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 04:13 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
Now you guys have peeked my interest about St. Augustine. I had been looking at property futher down the coast. So, how cold does it get in the winter since it is closer to the top of the state? Thanks
I am up here in Jax about 20 miles the nice thing about being in north Fla is we do get some season changes it is 57 right now
we did have a couple freezes but depending on where in St Aug you are you might not get them

sunrico
I didnt know you were in town
I was down in St Aug yesterday
hmmm we could of all met up for one of those happy hour beers.

karla

Old 03-10-2007, 05:59 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,793 times
Good shrimp at Osteens. Get here early. It is always packed

Old 03-10-2007, 08:00 AM

436 posts, read 681,598 times
" I know that if I had to remain in Florida St Augustine would be my town of choice...."

Agreed. Retains snatches of the old Florida. Far enough north away from the maddening crowd. Small, but not to small. Historic central core. Nice private B & B's. Nice alleys to walk/bicycle away from the mainstream. Feels less overwhelmed in the town center by nasty, smoggy motor vehicles as in most of Florida. Less seedy, cheap tourist motels than in the past. Enough stuff happening to keep you from dying of boredom, but still enough quietude found to keep you sane. Decent variety of restaurants. Close to outlying areas. Close to beaches. Nice local college. What's not to like? Perhaps (not so much a complaint, but an observation)..

..after your tenth visit to 'the lighthouse' and the 'old fort' with out-of-town friends/relatives you'll be ready for some other local color. Place is not exactly job-utopia (wait tables or man a motel front desk for poverty wages - better be retired first with another income stream) although you can drive all the way to that yuckier city for jobs. Bottom line: You'd be hard-pressed to do better in hot, humid, buggy, flip-flop Florida.

Last edited by brian_2; 03-10-2007 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-10-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
I am up here in Jax about 20 miles the nice thing about being in north Fla is we do get some season changes it is 57 right now
we did have a couple freezes but depending on where in St Aug you are you might not get them

sunrico
I didnt know you were in town
I was down in St Aug yesterday
hmmm we could of all met up for one of those happy hour beers.

karla

I posted that I was leaving for the Old City, but next time I'll PM. I had a bit of business to attend and my wife b-day. This was a relax weekend, Friday night was calm, we had a great dinner and during the day we visited friends.

By the way lots of land for sale around I-10, you can get 10 to 285 acres... We are looking into buying an old home in the city to develop a B&B. This will be late this year if we find the right property at the right price....

Old 03-10-2007, 10:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Sunrico, Happy Birthday to your wife!! My husband is having a birthday next Friday.

I find this thread so interesting cause EVERYONE seems to like St. Augustine. It must be a place that I need to see.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Sunrico, Happy Birthday to your wife!! My husband is having a birthday next Friday.

I find this thread so interesting cause EVERYONE seems to like St. Augustine. It must be a place that I need to see.
I will say that is the paradise that we all want to have at home.... Has everyhting that we want at retirement time.

H-B- day to your husband....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida