U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 06:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,029,846 times

Advertisements

Nancy, I am also sorry that they're doing this to you. Since you've already had 12 interviews, don't they feel it's enough? Are you sure you want to work for that company cause you seem to deserve better then the way they're treating you now and you haven't even started working yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 06:33 PM

317 posts, read 1,122,236 times
Default A florida thing....I don't think so!

Ya know, throughout this all, I think I was fundamentally trying to be very sensitive to the fact that I was applying for a job in FL and that I was from NJ. I mean, I know NJ people have a reputation for being a bit, shall we say, abrasive. (Not me tho!!! - but then again, I am originally from Delaware). I did not want to be all the things (or characteristics) that are stereotypical of NJ folks. So I was treading lightly and gently. AND, I was taking into account the thought that Floridians, in general, move at a slightly slower pace. BUT THIS IS NOT THE "SLOWSKIES" TURTLE COMMERCIAL!!! This is my life! ok, now that i got that out of my system.....

Old 03-09-2007, 06:45 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,275,480 times
Actually, I love people from the northeast. I'm from the northeast! We may come off as abrasive, but we'd do anything for you. Southwest Florida is not full of north easterners, though.

I'd have a drink with ya, but I'm taking these stupid pain pills because of my tooth. You have one for me though, okay?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,821,408 times
Do you really even want this job?
How do you show a head shaking from side to side with a frown? That's what I'm doing now.
Geez those people are going over and beyond!
Nancy, what kind of company is this? Aren't there any more like it? Can you apply to other places?
Yes, I would tell them that you need to know the salary, that you cannot keep coming and going at their beck and call, and that you cannot afford it anymore! Well, maybe tell them Nicely (but I'm from NY) :-))

Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,777,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Do you really even want this job?
How do you show a head shaking from side to side with a frown? That's what I'm doing now.
Geez those people are going over and beyond!
Nancy, what kind of company is this? Aren't there any more like it? Can you apply to other places?
Yes, I would tell them that you need to know the salary, that you cannot keep coming and going at their beck and call, and that you cannot afford it anymore! Well, maybe tell them Nicely (but I'm from NY) :-))
Well said! Grow some FL coconuts and get them to make you an offer! (I'll have another marguerita now!)

Old 03-09-2007, 08:29 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,403,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
hiknapster, shedav, chicken wing, hereinfla, cil, (where do you guys get these names from anyhow????!!!! )

Yes, it is very unprofessional, HAS been unprofessional, quite frankly, the whole way thru....remember, I never received any apologies anywhere along the way.

Yes, I sure will never enter into another interview without asking about the salary right up front whether it is right or wrong.

Yes, it feels like a candid camera thing.....but actually more like a SURVIVOR thing... I mean come on!

Yes, they are probably disorganized, but weird disorganized. They "pitch" themselves as soooo prim and proper...lots of rules...how to dress, etc., did more background checking on me than....I don't know....like if I were applying to some ..... don't want to even say it on here.

I had a glass of wine, and I am just going to mentally prepare myself for this not to happen. I AM done being a "pansy". I was desperate and I was/am acting like it. But I am done. They either come out with an offer or not. I am not going to do any more "interviews" like they asked me to do AGAIN next Thursday with two more new VPs because that is NOW where they think they would like to put me. Essentially, they have changed the position I orinially applied for 3 different times!

Anybody want a marquerita?

Margal, had you on my list as well. Thanks for responding. ......Must be the wine....!
Nancy, I think I know why they have interviewed you twelve times without mentioning salary or benefits. Unfortunately, the job you originally applied for was filled by someone else, but you impressed them enough that they still wanted to place you somewhere in their company. Unfortunately, they are still trying to find the right place by having other VP's who need to hire someone interview you.

You are right that they have been rude and unprofessional with you, and you may want to start to consider looking elsewhere. On the otherhand, if you finally get offered something solid, that would be the time to mention salary and benefits.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:56 PM

254 posts, read 993,416 times
Not trying to be negative here..... you almost always get the best treatment right as they try to get a handshake out of you, this is usually the best leverage you have......... if it's going to get worse as time goes on, you may not want to see it. Or lets be optimistic........ they are very disorganized and communication isn't a strong point there. Other than that, wherever you go... good luck and I hope for dreams to come true, you're definitely doing your end of it. One other thing, if the company is huge, or it's Gov't, this could be normal. Some organizations do things very slow and are secretive with salary info. Still, don't be rushed into blurring decisions.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:34 AM

1,394 posts, read 3,923,986 times
Nancy, After reading your post, I don't think I would want to work for someone like that. If they can't be more organized then that, what kind of company would run a business that way?
If I were you I would run from people and a business like that, who knows if they would pay you enough to live on. You need to be 100% sure before you should make a move out of state, and some places will make it sound good and once you get there, you find out it is not the dream job you were promised. Make sure you think this out before you leap into deeper waters. Good luck and take care, you can have one of them drinks for me while your going at it. I would apply else where. Yorkie_Mom

Old 03-10-2007, 08:56 AM

489 posts, read 1,858,035 times
Okay, I have been biting my tongue, but I really feel the need to weigh in here . . . as discussed before, Hiknapster used to live here, and I've been down here now - regrettably - for nearly four years. This is just the way things are done down here. There is no light at the end of the tunnel - unless it is a train - and there is nothing funny about any of this. I expected this, Nancy, I really did. I'm sorry for you. But I've also learned something very valuable through this experience that I, too, can take with me in the days ahead: It isn't me, either. I may very well belong somewhere else - so might you - but what goes on down here is exactly that: What goes on DOWN HERE. Also, I am glad that you have finally acknowledged that you are behaving desperately. You are, and with that comes poor decision-making and tolerance for the intolerable. You have lost your power here, and that is a bad, bad thing. You cannot possibly make a wise decision when you are so desperate to leave somewhere or someone. Your decision is an emotional one, and I understand that; however, you are planning the rest of your life and that of your son's, and you must always keep that in consideration. I also want to add that there is something no one has mentioned (unless I missed it) which is also a very important predictor of the future in this (The best predictor of the future is the past), and that is: These people also have NO CONSCIENCE where you are concerned. Nancy, if I could, I would do anything in my power to redirect you to somewhere else in FL because I've also never encoutered anything like any of this anywhere else but here - - not up north (yes, where people accuse us of being "abrasive"; we're not rude, we're just honest and upfront) and not in Tampa Bay. Obviously, there are others on this board from other places in FL who clearly have not encountered any of this. Please let that tell you something. I have story after story such as yours ever since my arrival here, and so do others who have moved here. Please run and run fast. Start looking at other opportunities, but please NOT here. Florida is a big state. If you start researching another area, you can find larger, better paying job markets (I also know this to be true) and a better quality of life. Afterall, that is why you're moving. You mention your age, and yes, that is a huge factor in things. Why not move to somewhere that you can stay for as long as you like rather than to a place where everyday - and that is not an exaggeration - is like living SURVIVOR. (I found it interesting that you said that because that is what I have said SO MANY times since moving here.) For the skeptics out there who will ask "Why haven't you moved then?", I own property here, and just as soon as I get it ready to be rented - or I go get that bank loan for the balance I will need for the loss that I will take on the property (to fully pay off my mortgage), I am out of here, and I'll be leaving so fast that everyone around me will wonder if I were ever here. Please, Nancy, look somewhere else. There are plenty of beautiful places in FL with better job markets and more professionalism. Once you get yourself involved in that search, you will forget all about these people, and that IS a very good thing. Believe it. I'm glad to hear that you've gotten yourself a set of those Florida coconuts mentioned above. Take care. (cyber hugs)

Old 03-10-2007, 09:42 AM
kar

179 posts, read 695,537 times
Hi Nancy,

We lived in Fort Myers for 12 years before moving to the Nashville,TN area and glad we did. The thing you must think about if you did take a job with this company (don't know why you would want to) and it did not work out, you could find yourself in a mess as Fort Myers/Naples do not have a lot of good paying professional jobs in the area to choose from. You could find yourself looking at very poor paying jobs. From what you have mentioned here I would not want to move all the way from NJ to Naples just for this company. I think it would be a big mistake for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida