U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:29 PM

317 posts, read 1,121,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
Right . . . don't start making trade-offs of who you are. It is way too early in the relocation game and the start of your new life to do that. You deserve the best that you can get. Now, go out there and get it!
Thank you FedUpInFtMyers, my new friendddddddddd,

Hope I will be able to help you in return...............

OH, I want to change my screen name to Florida Coconuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,769,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post

OH, I want to change my screen name to Florida Coconuts!
It sounds like they really like you and you are bringing something to the table that is more/different than what they originally were looking for and are now trying how to best use your skills in their company. As for their social skills (silence on the phone, omission of that minor detail of SALARY) well, they are computer geeks- they probably have undeveloped right brain! Try to get it in writing!

Love the screen name idea. I think I'll look for a small set to hang on my rear view mirror to bolster my resolve when needed!

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 03-10-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 03-11-2007, 09:07 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,817,073 times
Nancy..... NOW you know where everybody gets their weird screennames from!!! They just happen! :-))

Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 AM

904 posts, read 2,587,427 times
Nancy Lynne,
Please be careful. My husband almost got himself in a lot of trouble a few years back with a company that acted like this one is acting. The company kept telling him he had the job, when could he start, they needed him right away, etc. He kept asking for an offer letter with salary info in it, they kept putting him off. This person was going to send it, no someone else had to, etc.
To make a long story short, my husband was not willing to quit his job before he got the offer letter. After 2 weeks of back and forth about the offer letter and start date, the company stopped returning his phone calls and emails. About a week after that they went out of business.
Had he quit his job it would have been financially disasterous for us as we are in a small town without many high paying jobs. Please be careful here.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:16 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,257,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Nancy Lynne,
Please be careful. My husband almost got himself in a lot of trouble a few years back with a company that acted like this one is acting. The company kept telling him he had the job, when could he start, they needed him right away, etc. He kept asking for an offer letter with salary info in it, they kept putting him off. This person was going to send it, no someone else had to, etc.
To make a long story short, my husband was not willing to quit his job before he got the offer letter. After 2 weeks of back and forth about the offer letter and start date, the company stopped returning his phone calls and emails. About a week after that they went out of business.
Had he quit his job it would have been financially disasterous for us as we are in a small town without many high paying jobs. Please be careful here.
Same exact thing happened to my husband in Fort Myers. Fortunately, he got a bad feeling from the people and didn't give his notice, either.

We've had a lot of bad experiences with companies that write bad payroll checks, and came across numerous people that had the same things happen to them. I have never lived anywhere where such odd things go on.

It is also very common for businesses to quote you one pay rate and give another, or tell you there is health insurance, but then you find out you will pay full price for it.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:56 AM

904 posts, read 2,587,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Same exact thing happened to my husband in Fort Myers. Fortunately, he got a bad feeling from the people and didn't give his notice, either.

We've had a lot of bad experiences with companies that write bad payroll checks, and came across numerous people that had the same things happen to them. I have never lived anywhere where such odd things go on.

It is also very common for businesses to quote you one pay rate and give another, or tell you there is health insurance, but then you find out you will pay full price for it.
It's amazing how many companies lack common decency. I guess they don't realize, or care, that their actions can destroy someones life.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:47 AM

489 posts, read 1,857,596 times
Default So Very True!

Quote:

Yes, it is true! It has happened to me and others that I have been acquainted with over the past nearly four years of being here. It is also not at all uncommon for them to take up all of your time interviewing, testing, interviewing again, etc. and so on, and then never following up with you. Also, I myself - together with someone else that I know - also took jobs that the pay rate was changed on us together with finding out - after we were there - that there was no medical insurance afterall.

Most recently, my fiance's supervisor approached him and asked him to manage another area store but that my fiance would need to quit his second job (which is much needed for bills). The supervisor additionally went on to tell my fiance that they would raise his pay to make up for the loss of income at the second job. When my fiance came home and told me about this, I was very apprehensive - based on what we have both encountered thus far in addition to what we've witnessed in our respective workplaces - and my fiance advised his supervisor that he was going to pass on the offer. Well, his supervisor immediately came back to him and said that the change could be made right away, quit his second job, yadda, yadda, yadda . . . Well, my fiance just never "sealed the deal" so to speak, and his supervisor approached him JUST TWO DAYS AFTER the last offer and said "We cannot afford to make up for what you're making at your second job". All that in the wake of the prior offers and not to mention that this other management position was much farther from home than the one he presently has (so the cost of gas would have been a consideration as well). Anyways, good thing that my fiance didn't trust his supervisor who approached him not once but three times inside of one week with the promotion "offer". By the way, my fiance is a STAR at his job (northern work ethic) so what that means down here is that EVERYONE ELSE at the company has taken all of their sick days and vacation times as they darned well please, and my fiance cannot even take one day off (for THREE YEARS NOW) because his supervisor always states that "Well, so and so will probably be out again . . . well, I have to move someone from your store over to another store on that day to make up for the shortage of employees over there so I really need you to be at your store that day. . ." You know what I am saying. He is totally taken advantage of but treated the same as everyone else, with the exception of the fact that he can never be gone from there. He is worked like he owns the place, but he is paid like everyone else. His only way out of working that job - not to mention a second job - is to move away from this area because the pay he earns there is at least twice as much as what is being offered as "excellent rate of pay" here these days, and the salary he currently makes is nothing to write home about. The last time he asked for a raise, he was simply told "No one is getting raises this year. Money is tight at this time." Well, he isn't just "anyone" at his job. He works hard so that everyone else there can be sick (often enough to use up all their sick time and then some) and so that everyone can take their vacations. This is not the exception to the rule here when it comes to employment. It is common practice.

Just last week, an employer - after several weeks of my making an inquiry and submitting a resume - sent me an email indicating that they had an "unexpected opening" and needed someone to start "right away" so was I still interested? It took me a while to remember the position that was advertised just two months ago (that they already have an "unexpected opening" for), and I called the employer but had to leave a message. Since the employer was in a rush, based on their email, I additionally replied to their email indicating that I am still interested. Well, you guessed it . . . this employer with the "unexpected opening" who needs someone "right away" has not yet contacted me. To date, there has been no return phone call nor has there been an email response, and based upon what I have experienced since my arrival here, I know that there won't be any return phone call or email response.

So, yes, please do watch your back.

Last edited by FedUpInFtMyers; 03-12-2007 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: most recent incident added

Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,257,382 times
Since moving away from there 17 months ago, I have slowly started to trust what people tell me, but it is hard to shake. I may never be the same.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:31 PM

489 posts, read 1,857,596 times
Default Unfortunate but true!

Quote:
Since moving away from there 17 months ago, I have slowly started to trust what people tell me, but it is hard to shake. I may never be the same.
So agreed, Hiknapster . . . it is just awful, isn't it? To not be able to trust the person who is talking to you about your livelihood. It is an awful, hollow feeling to go around day after day in a place where you have learned repeatedly - the hard way - to not trust anyone or anything they tell you - personally or professionally. At some point while living down here, you just realize that since there are so many transient, unscrupulous types, it is just pointless to have real conversation with anyone because most of these people either A) are not telling the truth; B) will not remember tomorrow what they told you today; or C) just don't give a darn. Well, there is "D", and that is all of the aforementioned!

I wonder, too, how I will be when I leave here. There's just been too many breaches of trust and downright betrayals. I, too, am exasperated, and I am hoping that our dear friend Nancy hears us and picks a different area of FL. Neither Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, or Naples deserves her, and I'm afraid that the daily exasperations (yes, it will be plural) - such as what she has already experienced in her very limited time in her dealings with others down here - will take from her whatever sanity or hope that she has left. Life is NOT what you make it down here. There is TOO MUCH WORK involved in trying to isolate and protect yourself in SW FL thereby always reminding you that you are living in a troublesome place. We are totally outnumbered, and life is too short to fight the masses here. There are much more important things for us good people to devote our time and attention to.

Good to hear that you are recovering somewhat from your years of suffering in Ft. Misery. I have come around to the way of thinking that there must be a higher reason for us having lived here, the fortunate ones who actually get to leave, and that once we are out, we will appreciate and enjoy our lives in ways unimaginable because we will be more grateful - for all things - after living with such misery and emptiness here. We have experienced and witnessed things here that never entered our worst imaginations prior to coming here. It certainly is an education in abnormal psychology and the worst of society. We also come away from here knowing that we can always handle so much more than we ever thought we could. Because the thing about being here is that just when you think you cannot take anymore, someone or something else unspeakable occurs, and even you cannot believe your eyes and/or ears . . . and you're living it, my friend! Being here forces you inward and forces you to look harder for the "good", i.e., noticing another bloom on my lemon tree, the joy of having the Muscovy ducks greet me outside in the a.m. where they wait for me to serve them "breakfast", the regular clan of squirrels who perform acrobatics in the palm trees surrounding my balcony, and the plain and simple gratitude of "at least we are still healthy, still have a roof over our heads, and have enough to eat when so many others do not have these things". Of course, I always enjoyed these things elsewhere; however, now, it is just a matter of survival to totally focus on them in an effort to maintain my sanity.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:20 PM

113 posts, read 435,720 times
Having worked in the Tech industry for over 10 years for a good mix of large to small companies, this smells like bad apples to me.

Like others have said, if its this bad now......it will only get worse. Can you imagine dealing with insurance issues or getting vacation approved at this company?

Unless they come back with a offer that you cant refuse, I'd pass. Also, it be my advice to get EVERYTHING they are claiming as benefits in WRITING. Companies like this have a high probability of doing the old HR bait & switch.

If your gut is telling you its wrong, then listen to it.

But if you ask me, just flush this one down the toilet...3 months talking/interviewing with 12+ people is nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida