Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 AM

286 posts, read 1,232,037 times

Advertisements

Stay in Minnesota and pay in state tuition. With this economy, don't take out any student loans for school if you have to. I met a girl in Boston who paid $42,000 a year for her education. She was a senior and she had changed her major 6 times. She finally settled on a Literature major (which will be very tough to find a job with in these times!). So, you have to think that she has $142,000 in student loans to repay and she's only 21!

When you graduate, come to FL for a job that you're interested in. If you and your family can handle the out of state tuition, go for it. But, otherwise, I would stay in MN. Best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Did you not know this before you moved that it is hot in Florida?

Many here call their old town home, if you cannot let go of it and still call it home then you should not have moved in the first place. Just my opinion.

Home is where you live right now, not where you wish you were.

When we move to Florida, Florida will be our home, this is just where I was born and lived, it will no longer be home.
I'm with you. I think we, mr. cool and I, were just born in the wrong place. I'm pretty sure once we move down to Florida Wisconsin will no longer be "home".

Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 AM

4 posts, read 10,929 times
ummm...NO, have been here 20 plus years HATE it & the people, VERY weird people, transit state, here today gone tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:12 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobabies View Post
ummm...NO, have been here 20 plus years HATE it & the people, VERY weird people, transit state, here today gone tomorrow.
Why on earth would anyone stay in a place they HATE so bad?

Odd that some people post on her they had picked the smaller rural towns like Odessa, Palm Coast, Destin, Wesley Chapel, Venice, North Port and they do not post anything like that at all.
In fact they unless I missed it seem to love it there.

Come to Columbus Ohio, we are now seeing the town separated into little small foreign towns, talk about weird. Things are changing before our eyes. Heck, go out to eat and you cannot understand a thing anyone is saying.
And that is Columbus Ohio, not Florida.

It bugs me to pieces that someone would live in a place they hate for 20 years and do nothing to leave.

I do not hate the town I live in, I just know there is better and a more productive life of doing the things you want in Florida.

It all depends on what you like, but I know if I made a mistake in picking a town to move to in Florida I would be moving real quick.

We will never put ourselves in a position that we cannot make a change.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Very good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokahi View Post
Stay in Minnesota and pay in state tuition. With this economy, don't take out any student loans for school if you have to. I met a girl in Boston who paid $42,000 a year for her education. She was a senior and she had changed her major 6 times. She finally settled on a Literature major (which will be very tough to find a job with in these times!). So, you have to think that she has $142,000 in student loans to repay and she's only 21!

When you graduate, come to FL for a job that you're interested in. If you and your family can handle the out of state tuition, go for it. But, otherwise, I would stay in MN. Best of luck
Given the economy and the fact that they are cutting back on student loans. Get the degree. Get the job BEFORE you move here.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:25 PM

425 posts, read 1,105,048 times
Default Just a shout out

we live in Ct. this is where Ive called home for almost 49 years, but we bought in a 55 park in North Port, and that is Home too
I have been down in September and in December and LOVE IT
the people are nice the community is nice the park is nice, and we are only 3 miles to both Walmart and Home Depot ,how can you beat that
everyone has there likes and dislikes, when I was young Florida was a place that I came to visit my grandparents at and it was just o.k, but as I grew older and wiser, I knew we wanted to be somewhere warm, somewhere that I could enjoy birdwatching, one of my favorite things to do.
Granted I still have at least 20 + years to work, at least I have a place in a warm climate I can call home.We are extremely lucky and blessed to be able to have these and I thank my lucky stars every day

Old 01-29-2009, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 35,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokahi View Post

That is crazy I would NEVER pay that much a year for tuition. I plan on paying about 2,000 to 5,000 a year.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:41 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Far to many people move based on what their heart tells them and they do not think through it.

For us we have used both what we want and what we have experienced in our life.

We look at not moving when we want to move to Florida as one of our largest mistakes.

We know we cannot replace the time but we know that if we move soon we will still be able to do the things we enjoy and if we wait for many more years we might as well stay put and get old here.

There is nothing here we enjoy, after this weeks freezing rains and snow, stuck in our homes for 2 days because of a level 3, losing power on and off for several days and seeing cars all over the sides of highways because people wanted to get to work is no life, it is terrible.

Sure Florida has its share of storms, but not every single year for 3+ months with no end in sight.

So OP, it is a tough decision to move anywhere, not just Florida. Only you will be able to make that decision. For us, we made our mistake and now daily think about what could have been 20+ years ago. Our mistake was not staying in Florida and not giving it enough time as we caved into our parents and others wishes.

With that in mind, go for it, use the research, info etc to make a smart choice of towns, jobs etc.

I know if we would have just taken that chance and stayed 20+ years ago instead of coming back here to live we would have had a much better more enjoyable life in Florida.

Our chance was ruined by the families wanting us to be here instead of there, and as posted above, no family should ever put pressure on kids in their 20's to not do the things they enjoy.

We caved into the pressure from both sides and did not get to stay long enough to see what it was like.

A huge mistake that we cannot get over as we know that 20+ years in your 20's and 30's we have now missed out on what we enjoy.

And yes, if I had to do it all over again, I would have stayed and still have been there enjoying life instead of living this life in a snow dome.

Yes, we call it a snow dome because if you do not try something else in your life and give it a shot, you will be like us, live in a snow dome for 20 years and finally realize it is time to move on.

For people like us living in Ohio and dealing with this weather like we have right now is not the way to live. Sure if you are a coach monkey and live inside and do not enjoy the outside it will work for you.

But, if you enjoy the warm air, oceans, palm trees, 300+ days of sunshine like we do then get out of dodge, you will never know unless you try.

The least is if you try it and do not like it move back.

We are no longer going to live in a SNOW DOME and will be working on making plans to move to Florida as soon as we can.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I live way down south, in Homestead. Today, I was cold, wore a jacket outside. We had stiff easterly winds and it was 70°! Amazing how 35+ years in the "tropics" softens you (me) when it comes to cooler temps. I hate the long hot summers here, but the winters just might make up for it! I say "Go for it". You don't know unless you try!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default It just depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I live way down south, in Homestead. Today, I was cold, wore a jacket outside. We had stiff easterly winds and it was 70°! Amazing how 35+ years in the "tropics" softens you (me) when it comes to cooler temps. I hate the long hot summers here, but the winters just might make up for it! I say "Go for it". You don't know unless you try!
I spent 58 years in NY. I have been here for a year and a half. I went back to NY two weeks ago to 9 degrees and -5 windchills. It did not bother me at all. In fact the few days here in SW Florida when it has gotten down to the 40s, 50s, and 60s feels nice to me. 70s sends me into depression and I really DREAD 80s and 90s.

I find myself staying inside as much as I possibly can in Florida, despite all the "wonderful" weather. When I went to NY two weeks ago, I was outside all the time.

But then when I was 22 years old and lived in Florida before, I couldn't stand it either. All those decades has only made it worse. I am a 4 season person, how matter how OLD I get.

There are people like me, despite our ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida