U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:27 PM

6 posts, read 25,894 times

Advertisements

I am debating moving to Florida this summer to go to school. I have been reading other post and reading the proís and conís about Florida. I live in Minnesota where most of my family lives but their isnít really anything here for me besides them.. The weather is a plus I donít care if its hot and humid I can deal with it I HATE the cold but with the encomny now days it doesnít really madder where you move its going to be about the same..

What should I do or where should I move too?

Should I Stay in minnesota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:50 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,736,883 times
If you are moving to Florida with a job awaiting you and enough of a bankroll (or family financial support) to help subsidize your living expenses, then move from the cold. If you do not have the funds or family to financially support you, you will be better off in the long run to put on an extra layer of clothes for those cold Minnesota winters.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,381,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublecheck View Post
I am debating moving to Florida this summer to go to school. I have been reading other post and reading the pro’s and con’s about Florida. I live in Minnesota where most of my family lives but their isn’t really anything here for me besides them.. The weather is a plus I don’t care if its hot and humid I can deal with it I HATE the cold but with the encomny now days it doesn’t really madder where you move its going to be about the same..

What should I do or where should I move too?

Should I Stay in minnesota?
I just graduated with my bachelors degree and finished my MBA and it was all done in South Carolina. I hated and still hate living in South Carolina, but I could not afford out of state tuition in the places that I wanted to live.

Guess what..... I STILL LIVE IN SC!

So my advice to you is to pick a school in the city that you want to live and start a career.

Especially if you have a major such as business or sociology that every major well known school offers

EXAMPLES

#1 If Phoenix is an area that your interested in living then go to Arizona State

#2 If NYC is an area that your intersted in living then go to Rutgers or Seton Hall

BOTTOM LINE : The only city that your going to have opportunities for jobs right out of colege when you graduate is the surrounding area of where you went to college or moving back to Minnesota with your family and getting a job there.

Companies are not going to fly entry level candidates right out of college all around the U.S. for interviews. If your entry level then your responsible for paying your way to the intervew. If you want out of Minnesota then now is your chance because if you dont go now then your probably going to be stuck there for longer than you want to be

Hope this helps

Old 01-19-2009, 02:38 AM

11,501 posts, read 8,433,309 times
Gosh you sound like me when I was in my early 20's.

I hate the cold and love the heat. I graduated in 1982 and lived a summer in Florida and made the horrible mistake of moving back to Ohio.

I moved back to be around family and now 27 years later I am still here and regret every single minute of it.

I had a hard time with the decision of leaving my family behind. Now wish I had moved to Florida or at least tried it for a year or two and could have moved back later if it did not work out.

Florida has some of the top schools in the country. For me, if you like the heat, sun, beach, ocean etc and have the means to do so I would be gone in a minute no questions asked.

Your family is important but for me personally, it was a mistake for me to stay.

Looking forward to the day I can finally move to Florida and redeem my mistakes.

I feel I lost 27 years of the type of life I love, the ocean, surfing, the heat, diving, fishing etc. Instead all I got was 3 months of pool swimming, no diving, no surfing, no fishing on the ocean, nothing.

Go for it, your young enough to change if it does not turn out.

Do not make my mistake and stay only because of family.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,167,403 times
Sunny-Days90..

Just reading your post helps keep me focused on my goals of moving to FL.for my career and life's goals..just wish my family would see that as well..

i just don't think they completely understand why id want to leave them...or CA. even though they know i have the talent in my profession.. and that Florida just suits my personal and career needs much more then Cali does..

Though im already determined to move, even if on a dime..thoughts about the fam. has been something ive had a little struggle with..but, like you've said, you can't make up all the time you might miss out on, if you "pass go" on what your heart keeps on urging you to..and i don't want to look back and think "what if" on this one..

doublecheck, If you really feel Florida would be a good "fit"..then pursue it..and like i discussed with NYC1DAY..take a trip down to the area to get a feel for it before you make a final decision...thats what helped me make my own.. Trust me, i can't wait to get back there...opinions are great,but seeing it always works out better..

As for your family,..they should understand...and with all the gismos we have access to these days, the excuse of "being so far away"..is a lousy excuse anyone can make,when it comes to keeping in touch.. IMO, family should be where ever you are, not just in a certain place..if they aren't, then they aren't being supportive of your ambitions, where ever you go to have the best chances at success..

Besides,..its not that far for a visit..or for you to return, if in time life leads you back home..so, like sunny days said, don't make the mistake of not pursuing what you'd like to pursue, because of family...do what you desire to do, if it feels like its the right thing for you.. ( you'll regert it )

No one should stay somewhere they aren't happy...and "family" shouldn't want that for you or anyone..good luck..

Last edited by si33; 01-19-2009 at 03:33 AM..

Old 01-19-2009, 06:51 AM

2,143 posts, read 5,283,573 times
If you are thinking about moving to go to school, by all means, do it. It's the only real time that you can try living in different areas without worrying about permanency. By all means go to school in Florida. It's a great way to see different areas of the country.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 AM

2,085 posts, read 3,876,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
If you are thinking about moving to go to school, by all means, do it. It's the only real time that you can try living in different areas without worrying about permanency. By all means go to school in Florida. It's a great way to see different areas of the country.
Agreed.

I moved to Florida when I was 19 for school, and wound up staying.

Are they giving you a guilt trip?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM

102 posts, read 206,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Gosh you sound like me when I was in my early 20's.

I hate the cold and love the heat. I graduated in 1982 and lived a summer in Florida and made the horrible mistake of moving back to Ohio.

I moved back to be around family and now 27 years later I am still here and regret every single minute of it.

I had a hard time with the decision of leaving my family behind. Now wish I had moved to Florida or at least tried it for a year or two and could have moved back later if it did not work out.

Florida has some of the top schools in the country. For me, if you like the heat, sun, beach, ocean etc and have the means to do so I would be gone in a minute no questions asked.

Your family is important but for me personally, it was a mistake for me to stay.

Looking forward to the day I can finally move to Florida and redeem my mistakes.

I feel I lost 27 years of the type of life I love, the ocean, surfing, the heat, diving, fishing etc. Instead all I got was 3 months of pool swimming, no diving, no surfing, no fishing on the ocean, nothing.

Go for it, your young enough to change if it does not turn out.

Do not make my mistake and stay only because of family.

Florida...the best schools in what way?

Don't start skin damage, rapid ageing and cancer at such a young age .....in a place where you can have a tan(or burn) all year round and the only thing to do is go to the beach and ect.

Florida is not as cheap as it used to be 15-25 years ago.
My parents moved here in 1993 and bought a three bedroom house in Florida for the price of a car in a deed restricted pool community. My father ended up with skin cancer and damage to his eyes from all their beach obsession. My mother still works for the same wages as she did then with one of the small time pathetic companies that dwindle here.

Why move all the way down to Florida from one extreme to the next.

If moving for better economy and a lot less snow and freezing....why not try western Washington state where the weather is usually fairly mild all year round with drizzle but nice dry summers. This years winter for Washington it is very unusual and extreme. I lived there for 11 years and never had to shovel, wear boots or a scarf. State's minimum wage is $8.55 and has a favorable economy...check out Dept. of Labor statistics and unemployment benefits weekly amounts are higher(if ever needed). Check out the rent of homes and Winco foods grocery stores where they are cheaper and bigger than Walmart foods in Florida. Of course there are people who complain everywhere and don't know they have the best until it is gone.

I would never consider moving to Ohio considering all the people who think that Florida's economy and quality of life is great. How is Ohio compared to the all the rest of the nation?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:39 PM

14,724 posts, read 16,421,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweating in Florida View Post
Florida...the best schools in what way?

Don't start skin damage, rapid ageing and cancer at such a young age .....in a place where you can have a tan(or burn) all year round and the only thing to do is go to the beach and ect.

Florida is not as cheap as it used to be 15-25 years ago.
My parents moved here in 1993 and bought a three bedroom house in Florida for the price of a car in a deed restricted pool community. My father ended up with skin cancer and damage to his eyes from all their beach obsession. My mother still works for the same wages as she did then with one of the small time pathetic companies that dwindle here.

God, why do I feel like I need to see a psychiatrist for some Zoloft after reading some of these posts?!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,167,403 times
TriMT7..LMAO!! ..x's 5!!..

While constant drizzle and cloudy days and summer days which rarely reach 80 degrees are ok...for some.. If you spend your life worrying about whether you'll end up getting skin cancer,which can happen anywhere..or what ever..you will miss out on everything that life has out there...not everyone in Florida is a habitual Tan-aholic..and there is plenty to do down there..personally, i can't wait to kyak down some of the rivers ..even if it means sweating a bit..its good for you..

I once also had the opportunity to move to Washington State..chose Kansas instead..sunnier weather and wide open spaces.. (Even if the winters were really cold) what a place to dream..while you watch the sun rise from 100's of miles away..for me, thats something Florida offers...constant rain and being surrounded by mountains are just depressing.. Plus, the water up there is super cold..had enough of that here..in the not so golden state..which plenty of people enjoy..and for the most part, i don't blame them for liking what we have to offer..just be prepared to pay lots of money for everything...

" Life is what you create out of what you dream..and nothing is ever gone..it just changes, as one's path changes, as you make a life out of your dreams..follow them..standing still..or hanging on to the past is not an option..life awaits..calls to you..and has no regrets..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida