Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Everytime I hear those weather people GLOATING about how it is 80 degrees in SW Florida and it is cold and snowy someplace else, I want to throw something at the TV.
I think what is worse is when people that live in Florida call up north trying to brag about the weather but nobody is jealous, except maybe some retirees.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Not necessarily. He (my dad, Tanaples husband) says how he misses the season changes up north. He likes to golf, but says he gets tired of how it's always the same. I think he likes it in winter, but says he really misses fall and spring. I think he tolerates it better than my mom (Tanaples), but doesn't necessarily like it.
I can see how getting up early on a fall brisk morning with the trees changing into all the vibrant colors would be nice - you make a good point. I brought my clubs down, so I'm hoping to get out and play soon.

You're mom hasta be enjoying this cold blast!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I think what is worse is when people that live in Florida call up north trying to brag about the weather but nobody is jealous, except maybe some retirees.

It's like that with my friends on facebook. When someone is going down to Florida, they brag about it and no one comments back to them lol.

I agree with you all about how the news brags about it being warm down there. Honestly, people up north don't really care, lol. Some might want to go down for a few days to get some warm weather, but nothing more than that. I don't know one single friend who wants to move somewhere where it's warmer. Most of my friends love to ski and complain it hasn't snowed enough so they can go skiiing. And like my mom said, the news stations here never talk about it being warmer down there and how they wish they were out of the cold. I think a lot of people in Florida just say everyone wants to be warm down there just because they feel that way.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,136 times
Quote:
It's like that with my friends on facebook. When someone is going down to Florida, they brag about it and no one comments back to them lol.

I agree with you all about how the news brags about it being warm down there. Honestly, people up north don't really care, lol. Some might want to go down for a few days to get some warm weather, but nothing more than that. I don't know one single friend who wants to move somewhere where it's warmer. Most of my friends love to ski and complain it hasn't snowed enough so they can go skiiing. And like my mom said, the news stations here never talk about it being warmer down there and how they wish they were out of the cold. I think a lot of people in Florida just say everyone wants to be warm down there just because they feel that way.
Au contraire my dear. We DO care here up nort', we've been saying for YEARS "WHY do we live here????".
Your Facebook friends that don't comment are jealous.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 AM

214 posts, read 560,065 times
Quote:

Yeah good point. I see that on Myspace comments alot to from people who live in Florida to other people who live up north "ugh its snowing by you? come down here its 90 today"

Its like hellooo some people dont want weather thats equivalent to hell all the time. Some people actually enjoy variety in there life.

I just get this very salty nasty sense of arrogance from Floridians, especially these arrogant newscasters and weather people who think they are so high and mighty and above everyone else because the weather is warmer here then alot of the US. Its the Prima Donna factor where they think because its 80 degrees here and 20 in Chicago they have it so much better and there above dealing with that. It really shows in the personalitys and worth ethic thats for sure. I just dont like people who are seeking the constant vacation and just "taking it easy" attitude. I guess to make me feel better, yeah all the warm weather lovers get there wish because its 80 all the time and they dont have to deal with the winter but this state has so many problems that it puts a damper on there little piece of paradise. I live here so I see just who exactly your sharing your piece of paradise with and it sure isnt pretty.

I always think that people who envision leaving the cold states to come down here and plop there behinds on a beach all day with a drink in one hand and a cell phone in the other are just lazy prima donnas who prefer to have it as easy as possible in life. I guess thats why so many people complain about the work ethic in Florida. Most people that move here , moved here to "take it easy" and dont want to do much work. I have no problem with any 65 year old retirees who want that life because they have earned that right to golf all day and take it easy but for young people like me in there 20s all the way up to people in there 40s who want the "lazy Florida lifestyle" I just dont like them much. Again to me its a real sign of arrogance.

Few people were complaining about there pants getting wet from snow, or there shoes getting salt on them as there trying to have a night out on the town. Well to me, when I lived in Jersey for over 20 years, I was always much more impressed with a girl that can still make her self look like a million bucks in the cold wintry weather in late January then a Prima Donna down here in Florida who bops around in Flip Flops on the beach all day in January.

Guy above asked why dont I move to Alaska. Its to expensive there and I wouldnt want to be that far away, I prefer the lower 48. Plus its a very different way of living up there, Id like to visit but not move there. Like I said Im looking at Utah.

It all boils down to personal preference and I have outlined it pretty darn clear about why I prefer 4 solid seasons and dont mind the cold weather. I think there is some good discussion going on about the topic and thats why I asked, because I wanted to know just really why some people are so darn obsessed with needing constant warm weather in there life it really gets predictably boring with no variety. I dont mind the heat, but I prefer it in small doses, like only in the spring and summer.

If I didnt have responsibilities to attend to and money to make, I would honestly be on the next departing flight out of Florida. I dont like the people down here, the weather, the crime and all the other non sense that goes on down here.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
Quote:

Ahhh,,,,,the difference a few decades make. Oh, to be young again.

Frank D.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
Yeah good point. I see that on Myspace comments alot to from people who live in Florida to other people who live up north "ugh its snowing by you? come down here its 90 today"

Its like hellooo some people dont want weather thats equivalent to hell all the time. Some people actually enjoy variety in there life.

I just get this very salty nasty sense of arrogance from Floridians, especially these arrogant newscasters and weather people who think they are so high and mighty and above everyone else because the weather is warmer here then alot of the US. Its the Prima Donna factor where they think because its 80 degrees here and 20 in Chicago they have it so much better and there above dealing with that. It really shows in the personalitys and worth ethic thats for sure. I just dont like people who are seeking the constant vacation and just "taking it easy" attitude. I guess to make me feel better, yeah all the warm weather lovers get there wish because its 80 all the time and they dont have to deal with the winter but this state has so many problems that it puts a damper on there little piece of paradise. I live here so I see just who exactly your sharing your piece of paradise with and it sure isnt pretty.

I always think that people who envision leaving the cold states to come down here and plop there behinds on a beach all day with a drink in one hand and a cell phone in the other are just lazy prima donnas who prefer to have it as easy as possible in life. I guess thats why so many people complain about the work ethic in Florida. Most people that move here , moved here to "take it easy" and dont want to do much work. I have no problem with any 65 year old retirees who want that life because they have earned that right to golf all day and take it easy but for young people like me in there 20s all the way up to people in there 40s who want the "lazy Florida lifestyle" I just dont like them much. Again to me its a real sign of arrogance.

Few people were complaining about there pants getting wet from snow, or there shoes getting salt on them as there trying to have a night out on the town. Well to me, when I lived in Jersey for over 20 years, I was always much more impressed with a girl that can still make her self look like a million bucks in the cold wintry weather in late January then a Prima Donna down here in Florida who bops around in Flip Flops on the beach all day in January.

Guy above asked why dont I move to Alaska. Its to expensive there and I wouldnt want to be that far away, I prefer the lower 48. Plus its a very different way of living up there, Id like to visit but not move there. Like I said Im looking at Utah.

It all boils down to personal preference and I have outlined it pretty darn clear about why I prefer 4 solid seasons and dont mind the cold weather. I think there is some good discussion going on about the topic and thats why I asked, because I wanted to know just really why some people are so darn obsessed with needing constant warm weather in there life it really gets predictably boring with no variety. I dont mind the heat, but I prefer it in small doses, like only in the spring and summer.

If I didnt have responsibilities to attend to and money to make, I would honestly be on the next departing flight out of Florida. I dont like the people down here, the weather, the crime and all the other non sense that goes on down here.
I am trying top figure out how a personal preference for warm weather translates to arrogance and being a prima donna.

If I didn't think you were serious this would be funny.

You are maligning a whole geographic region based on newscasters and how you perceive them?

And people in Florida don't have a work ethic because they like warm weather?

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Last edited by Mike1306; 01-22-2009 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 11:34 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Au contraire my dear. We DO care here up nort', we've been saying for YEARS "WHY do we live here????".
Your Facebook friends that don't comment are jealous.

Most people I know could care less about year-round weather. In fact, most of my friends go further NORTH to get more snow and cold, not south. Not all of us want year-round warmth

Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter

I think you're reading waaaay too much into it.

To get upset or feel slighted that someone is "bragging" about their weather is kind of odd. Not too mention, there are plenty of Northerners and disgruntled Florida transplants yearning for winter who try to make snow drifts and the pitter patter of snow bunny feet on fresh packed snow, (not to mention, white Christmases) seem like God's gift to the earth, and that us here in Florida just don't understand what we could possibly be missing!

Do people move somewhere because they like being COLD? Maybe. Maybe they enjoy the "bundled up" lifestyle. More people seem to prefer the opposite, however -- that being mild or warm winters.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Most people I know could care less about year-round weather. In fact, most of my friends go further NORTH to get more snow and cold, not south. Not all of us want year-round warmth

I am roughly your age. Most of my friends do not seek out cold for extended periods of time. In fact, most of my friends who remain up north enjoy winter cruises in the Carribean, or coming down to swim in the pool in February or March. If not for family ties up North, I know of at least two who would move to Florida in a second.

I enjoy visiting the cold a lot... but even North Florida winters got on my nerves real fast. Dry skin, static electricity, dead grass and gloomy skies for months on end was annoying.

Unless you are a skiier there is really no additional "fun" factor to being colder, as it limits the activities you can do after a certain point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida