Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times

Advertisements

Remember, if everyone liked heat there would be no air conditioning. You can always dress for cold weather but there is nothing you can do about 90% humidity and 93 degrees.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
The weather in the panhandle is perfect for me. We do have four seasons here, and if you plant the right trees you can get some nice fall color. The winters here are cool, but not so cold to where you can't do anything outside. Springtime here is quite nice as well with plenty of flowering trees and daffodils. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:16 PM

294 posts, read 1,149,112 times
Like and dislike for climate is subjective. I personally love hot and humid weather. My favorite time of the year is in fact from March to September in Miami, with the current season being my least favorite time of year. Some people hate the hot and humid, some people tolerate it, and some people love it. And for some, there are medical/health benefits for living (or not living) in such a climate. Kind of a silly question actually.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I am roughly your age. Most of my friends do not seek out cold for extended periods of time. In fact, most of my friends who remain up north enjoy winter cruises in the Carribean, or coming down to swim in the pool in February or March. If not for family ties up North, I know of at least two who would move to Florida in a second.

I enjoy visiting the cold a lot... but even North Florida winters got on my nerves real fast. Dry skin, static electricity, dead grass and gloomy skies for months on end was annoying.

Unless you are a skiier there is really no additional "fun" factor to being colder, as it limits the activities you can do after a certain point.

I grew up playing against the top ice hockey teams in the northeast. I wouldn't be able to do that in Florida at all. There's ONE girls team down in Florida. I played them once and they were from all over the state. They had to travel to tournaments all around the country in order to play teams. I had a teammate in college who lived in Florida and played on that one team. She said she hated playing hockey in Florida because there was no competition.

There are plenty of fun things to do in the winter. For one, your kids can play in the snow. I teach 1st grade--I asked my kids who likes playing in the snow and who likes swimming in the summer. 19 out of 20 kids said they would rather play in the snow.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,722 times
I agree with Lost; this is quite a stupid question actually. I just read Rachael's post, and okay, her first graders llike the snow. "Plenty of fun things to do"? If you're in first grade, maybe. For me? Hardly. I don't ski, snowmobile, hunt, play hockey or ANYTHING in the snow. I DO slip and slide on the snow, have to put my convertible in the garage and drive a 4-wheel drive truck, worry about my dogs freezing to death when they go out to pee, close a towel in the crack to the patio door to keep the cold out, pay $700. gas bills, and mop the floor constantly when the husband and/or the dogs drag snow in. Somehow I don't see the fun in this. Some of you do, so go for it. Some of us were just born in the wrong places I guess.
And playing hockey in Florida is also stupid.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
So how come if Florida is the top 3 states in foreclosures, CHEAP real estate in comparison to many states, no state income states, cheap property taxes, etc., etc., people, especially retirees, aren't moving here in DROVES??????. If not for birth and immigrants, Florida is LOSING population. If all these people who live up North HATE the cold so much so much, why aren't they all moving here? Oh, I suppose they are too "afraid" of change? But of course, they are so ENVIOUS of you. Yeah, right.

Maybe you should all get off your high horses about how great this state is. It ISN'T. The only thing it's got going for it is WEATHER and that is NOT a plus for everybody. No, darlings, not everybody is envious of YOU. Yes, many people would like a week or two vacation here in winter, SOME might want to retire here, SOME might want to be snowbirds, but the VAST MAJORITY don't want to move here. Hell, there was even a poll on another state forums which posed this question. "Would you rather live in a Mansion in Florida or a SHACK in NY". The majority picked the SHACK. Yep, I guess they were just jealous cause they couldn't.

Open your eyes. This state has a reputation and it isn't good. In fact, in many ways people openly JOKE about it.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
So how come if Florida is the top 3 states in foreclosures, CHEAP real estate in comparison to many states, no state income states, cheap property taxes, etc., etc., people, especially retirees, aren't moving here in DROVES??????. If not for birth and immigrants, Florida is LOSING population. If all these people who live up North HATE the cold so much so much, why aren't they all moving here? Oh, I suppose they are too "afraid" of change? But of course, they are so ENVIOUS of you. Yeah, right.

Maybe you should all get off your high horses about how great this state is. It ISN'T. The only thing it's got going for it is WEATHER and that is NOT a plus for everybody. No, darlings, not everybody is envious of YOU. Yes, many people would like a week or two vacation here in winter, SOME might want to retire here, SOME might want to be snowbirds, but the VAST MAJORITY don't want to move here. Hell, there was even a poll on another state forums which posed this question. "Would you rather live in a Mansion in Florida or a SHACK in NY". The majority picked the SHACK. Yep, I guess they were just jealous cause they couldn't.

Open your eyes. This state has a reputation and it isn't good. In fact, in many ways people openly JOKE about it.
What does this have to do with weather?

It sounds like another one of your numerous I hate Florida rants that most people on this site have heard from you numerous times.

I believe most of the people that do like the warm weather did not cliam that there were deficiencies with people that like the cold weather, just that they like the warm weather and maybe the reasons why they don't like the cold.

Many of those on the other end of the spectrum claimed that people that like the warm weather are arrogant and prima donnas. I really love the logic behind that one.

Oh and one other fact for you. Florida population increase is still higher than NY's

Old 01-22-2009, 03:38 PM

561 posts, read 1,922,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

Agreed.

Rhode Island is the smallest state, yet is the 2nd most densly populated. Connecticut ranks 48 out of 50 in size but is the 4th most densly populated.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 12,975 times
Default Hey people who move here, did you not know it is hot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
I wonder why everyone flocks to Florida though. I mean theres alot of warm states. This place is a crowded mess. To many people with to many different backgrounds and beliefs and previous ways of living and its just a big cluster....
To each his own.

I'm sorry, but what I highlighted in bold from your statement is precisely what attracts so many of us to Florida in the first place. I live in a condo with people from all over the world. I can hear Spanish, Creole, French, German, and other languages in the elevators. I am bilingual myself and mixed race. My friends are a mosaic of human diversity. If I wanted to live in a 99.99% WASP state (as I sense many people who have fled Miami do), I would live in a 99.99% WASP state. There is no shortage of them, and they tend to have bitterly cold weather, agrarian economies, and negative population growth.

As far as the heat, I can only assure you that the same hatred you have for hot weather, so do I harbor the same hatred for cold weather. I'm sorry if you can't really understand that, but I promise you that it's true. At times I even enjoy 80 degree nights in Florida in the summer. My ideal climate would be 85 degree highs and 65 degree lows year round. At times, even Miami is too cold for me, like the last few days!

Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 PM

238 posts, read 782,402 times
I didn't read through all the posts so forgive me if I am repeating....

For some people, like myself and especially my gf (who moved from NJ), we just hate being cold. I find it very uncomfortable. I don't mind being hot, sweating, etc. In fact I love it. You say having sun in your eyes is a negative thing. I love it.. it makes me feel alive. It's all personal preference. Obviously your preference is the cold-- it's as simple as that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida