Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,876,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
What does this have to do with weather?

It sounds like another one of your numerous I hate Florida rants that most people on this site have heard from you numerous times.

I believe most of the people that do like the warm weather did not cliam that there were deficiencies with people that like the cold weather, just that they like the warm weather and maybe the reasons why they don't like the cold.

Many of those on the other end of the spectrum claimed that people that like the warm weather are arrogant and prima donnas. I really love the logic behind that one.

Oh and one other fact for you. Florida population increase is still higher than NY's
Um, most of her post was about the weather.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 PM

6 posts, read 12,952 times
Default Correction on internal migration numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
So how come if Florida is the top 3 states in foreclosures, CHEAP real estate in comparison to many states, no state income states, cheap property taxes, etc., etc., people, especially retirees, aren't moving here in DROVES??????. If not for birth and immigrants, Florida is LOSING population. If all these people who live up North HATE the cold so much so much, why aren't they all moving here? Oh, I suppose they are too "afraid" of change? But of course, they are so ENVIOUS of you. Yeah, right.

Maybe you should all get off your high horses about how great this state is. It ISN'T. The only thing it's got going for it is WEATHER and that is NOT a plus for everybody. No, darlings, not everybody is envious of YOU. Yes, many people would like a week or two vacation here in winter, SOME might want to retire here, SOME might want to be snowbirds, but the VAST MAJORITY don't want to move here. Hell, there was even a poll on another state forums which posed this question. "Would you rather live in a Mansion in Florida or a SHACK in NY". The majority picked the SHACK. Yep, I guess they were just jealous cause they couldn't.

Open your eyes. This state has a reputation and it isn't good. In fact, in many ways people openly JOKE about it.
Where in the world are you getting your statistics?

Florida has only been very slightly losing residents through internal migration for the last 1, perhaps 2, years. That's more a function of the real estate market and the insurance/tax mess than anything else about the state. As those problems sort themselves out and the Baby Boomers begin retiring en masse, growth here will stabilize (but hopefully in more sustainable numbers.) And the bitterly cold Northeast and Midwest are still hemorrhaging domestic-born residents, as they have been for 50+ years. Here are a few interesting numbers:

Population change from internal migration: 2000 - 2006
Northeast: -1,830,176
Midwest: -1,107,625
Southeast: +2,604,422
Florida: + 1,221,540
Arizona: + 541,283
New Mexico: + 22,887
Texas: + 451,910
New York: - 1,242,869
New Jersey: - 277,900
Illinois: - 473,713
Pennsylvania: -27,718
Source: Census Bureau, http://www.census.gov/popest/states/tables/NST-EST2006-04.xls (broken link)

Florida isn't for everybody, and I fully understand why some people hate living here. But 1) They are vastly outnumbered by the people who move here and love it, and 2) If people do prefer cold Northern winters for 9 months of the year, these states would not be losing population.

Last edited by Gator198745; 01-22-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 03:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,876,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator198745 View Post
Where in the world are you getting your statistics?

Florida has only been very slightly losing residents through internal migration for the last 1, perhaps 2, years. That's more a function of the real estate than anything else. And the bitterly cold Northeast and Midwest are still hemorrhaging domestic-born residents, as they have been for 50+ years. Here are a few interesting numbers:

Population change from internal migration: 2000 - 2006
Northeast: -1,830,176
Midwest: -1,107,625
Southeast: +2,604,422
Florida: + 1,221,540
Arizona: + 541,283
New Mexico: + 22,887
Texas: + 451,910
New York: - 1,242,869
New Jersey: - 277,900
Illinois: - 473,713
Pennsylvania: -27,718
Source: Census Bureau, http://www.census.gov/popest/states/tables/NST-EST2006-04.xls (broken link)

Florida isn't for everybody, and I fully understand why some people hate living here. But 1) They are vastly outnumbered by the people who move here and love it, and 2) If people do prefer cold Northern winters for 9 months of the year, these states would not be losing population.

It's mostly because people can't afford NY anymore. I don't know anyone who has moved to Florida for the weather or because it's cheaper. People are leaving NY for PA and NC mostly. Don't just assume it's because of the weather

Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,585,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Um, most of her post was about the weather.
Um, foreclosure, population, envious people, yeah whole lotta weather there.

Try reading it again.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:21 PM

214 posts, read 559,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator198745 View Post
To each his own.

I'm sorry, but what I highlighted in bold from your statement is precisely what attracts so many of us to Florida in the first place. I live in a condo with people from all over the world. I can hear Spanish, Creole, French, German, and other languages in the elevators. I am bilingual myself and mixed race. My friends are a mosaic of human diversity. If I wanted to live in a 99.99% WASP state (as I sense many people who have fled Miami do), I would live in a 99.99% WASP state. There is no shortage of them, and they tend to have bitterly cold weather, agrarian economies, and negative population growth.

As far as the heat, I can only assure you that the same hatred you have for hot weather, so do I harbor the same hatred for cold weather. I'm sorry if you can't really understand that, but I promise you that it's true. At times I even enjoy 80 degree nights in Florida in the summer. My ideal climate would be 85 degree highs and 65 degree lows year round. At times, even Miami is too cold for me, like the last few days!

I highlighted what is precisely just one of the reasons I and many others do not feel comfortable here in Florida. I dont want to hear Spanish, or Creole or French or German when I am in public or in stores or at work, I want to hear the official language of the United States of American ENGLISH. If I wanted to here those languages and spend time with those people I would move to there countries and learn there languages. Its not being racist, its just a matter of preference. Minorities move here because they feel comfortable being surrounded by other miniorities. Some trendy whites think that is fine and cute and adds diversity, others like myself find it uncomforting and would prefer to be around people who at least speak the same language.

That whole diversity thing is working out real well for Florida to Just the other day I see an old hatian woman and an old French guy (Canada Snowbird) get into a verbal argument at Walmart. Wow did that make for some interesting dialouge. They couldnt even understand what they were yelling at each other.

Maybe I will start another thread about diversity in Florida.

But to stay on Topic. Yes its no secret more people prefer the warm weather. But I just wanted to know why. Some people have explained it some are just throwing stones.

I still and will always maintain that people in there 20's up to 40's who envision the Florida lifestyle and run from cold to the comfort of the warm weather are lazy Prima Donnas who want a cell phone in one hand and a drink in another as they lump on the beach all day. Only to call there friends up North and tell them how they should be down here because its 80 and sunny in February. If you dont think thats a Prima Donna think again pal.

Seriously when people up north decided to move here it is NOT with work ethic in mind. Its with "going down to Florida and take it easy" work ethic in mind.

In Winter Time , how many states stay warm? 3-4? The rest of America bundles up and enjoys 4 sold seasons with different things to do each season. Thats what I miss. Thats why Im leaving. I honestly would hope that all the cranky grumps that are "inconvienced" by the winter pack it up and move out of whatever cold state there in and move right on down here to Florida. I mean thats what everyone else is doing right? Escaping there cold dreary blues and heading on down to Florida. Look at the statistics, look at this forum, how many more years of that can this state take? How many more people from different states and different countries are gonna migrate here to all share your "piece of paradise" ? Its a mess. If you warm weather lovers had sense of well being, you should pack it up and move to San Diego or Arizona or some south west state. Florida is flooded with cranky northerners who want to "take it easy" and enjoy the warmth.

When Im snowboarding in Utah or doing some traveling along the way, I will be SURE and CERTAIN to recommend Florida especially SOUTH Florida to all the people who dislike the cold. You can all stay down here and have each other. At least you can plan ahead for the next 365 days, you know what the weather will be.

I feel bad for kids that are raised down here. Thats all they know is sun and heat. I was raised Americana style not Tropical foreign country style. The kids down here, dont get to see fall foiliage, rake leaves, have a snow ball fight, build a snowman, shovel some snow.

Its also a sense of style. T Shirts, flip flops, and shorts all year. Oooh exciting.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
It's mostly because people can't afford NY anymore. I don't know anyone who has moved to Florida for the weather or because it's cheaper. People are leaving NY for PA and NC mostly. Don't just assume it's because of the weather
You just made an assumption about why people are leaving NY and PA and you then proceed to tell someone to not make assumptions.

I left NY for Florida because I hated the cold. I didn't even pack up my belongings, I went back for them later.

I also know many others who left because of the weather.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not assuming it's all about the weather. I grew up in Connecticut and went to college in Pennsylvania. I was never fond of the weather, but I can assure you that most of us weren't all that fond of being taxed to death either. I'm hardly a conservative, but enough was simply enough at some point.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
I highlighted what is precisely just one of the reasons I and many others do not feel comfortable here in Florida. I dont want to hear Spanish, or Creole or French or German when I am in public or in stores or at work, I want to hear the official language of the United States of American ENGLISH. If I wanted to here those languages and spend time with those people I would move to there countries and learn there languages. Its not being racist, its just a matter of preference. Minorities move here because they feel comfortable being surrounded by other miniorities. Some trendy whites think that is fine and cute and adds diversity, others like myself find it uncomforting and would prefer to be around people who at least speak the same language.

That whole diversity thing is working out real well for Florida to Just the other day I see an old hatian woman and an old French guy (Canada Snowbird) get into a verbal argument at Walmart. Wow did that make for some interesting dialouge. They couldnt even understand what they were yelling at each other.

But to stay on Topic. Yes its no secret more people prefer the warm weather. But I just wanted to know why. Some people have explained it some are just throwing stones.

I still and will always maintain that people in there 20's up to 40's who envision the Florida lifestyle and run from cold to the comfort of the warm weather are lazy Prima Donnas who want a cell phone in one hand and a drink in another as they lump on the beach all day. Only to call there friends up North and tell them how they should be down here because its 80 and sunny in February. If you dont think thats a Prima Donna think again pal.

Seriously when people up north decided to move here it is NOT with work ethic in mind. Its with "going down to Florida and take it easy" work ethic in mind.

In Winter Time , how many states stay warm? 3-4? The rest of America bundles up and enjoys 4 sold seasons with different things to do each season. Thats what I miss. Thats why Im leaving. I honestly would hope that all the cranky grumps that are "inconvienced" by the winter pack it up and move out of whatever cold state there in and move right on down here to Florida. I mean thats what everyone else is doing right? Escaping there cold dreary blues and heading on down to Florida. Look at the statistics, look at this forum, how many more years of that can this state take? How many more people from different states and different countries are gonna migrate here to all share your "piece of paradise" ? Its a mess. If you warm weather lovers had sense of well being, you should pack it up and move to San Diego or Arizona or some south west state. Florida is flooded with cranky northerners who want to "take it easy" and enjoy the warmth.

When Im snowboarding in Utah or doing some traveling along the way, I will be SURE and CERTAIN to recommend Florida especially SOUTH Florida to all the people who dislike the cold. You can all stay down here and have each other. At least you can plan ahead for the next 365 days, you know what the weather will be.

I feel bad for kids that are raised down here. Thats all they know is sun and heat. I was raised Americana style not Tropical foreign country style. The kids down here, dont get to see fall foiliage, rake leaves, have a snow ball fight, build a snowman, shovel some snow.

Its also a sense of style. T Shirts, flip flops, and shorts all year. Oooh exciting.
Whoa. Calm down. You seem to not even have the capability to understand that some of us are doing just fine here. I understand your arguments and accept them as fully valid, but I don't agree with them. It is not because you are wrong or I am right, it is because our backgrounds and lifestyle preferences are obviously different. You, on the other hand, don't even seem to be able to connect Point A in my logic to Point B, or perhaps you are not willing to.

As I just said, I grew up in Connecticut outside of Hartford, and went to college in Pennsylvania. I've basically spent 22 out of my 29 years in the Northeast. I am not ignorant of the region, I'm not basing my statements here on empty stereotypes. I had to shovel bucketloads and bucketloads of snow growing up. I dealt with the wind so cold it metaphorically cut your face into pieces. Why can't you just understand that I didn't want to spend the next 60 years of my life doing that? Yes, I'd rather wear flip flops year-round than clunky snow boots for 5 months. Is that really too complicated for you to grasp?

Diversity is definitely a "to each his own" thing. Just as you don't feel safe in Florida, so would I never feel safe in a place like Iowa or North Dakota.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post

All those northerners that moved here and started companies, were they part of your lazy prima donnas.

When you get out from under mommy and daddy's wings and start making it on your own then come back and tell us a story or 2.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,510,251 times
Folks,
Stick to the topic. I did not think that this thread would go this many pages..
Stick to the topic....WEATHER......or this this thread will be closed.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida