Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM

214 posts, read 560,130 times

Advertisements

I copy and pasted the following post I made in response to another post on here and felt it was a good enough topic to get a discussion going. Sell me on the Heat, why do so many people prefer warm Florida?

First. I love Cold weather and am gonna enjoy some nice cool crisp 30-40 degree temps here the next few days.

I will never understand why people prefer to sweat and enjoy the sensation of there skin burning and eye blinding sun over a nice cool cloudy day.

I also never understood how so many people get effected from cold or dreary weather. Me? I love it. Perfect weather to stay inside and catch up on important things in life like spending time with family and friends, or just doing something productive like reading or talking on the phone with an old friend, watch some tv , stuff like that. Plus its a great way to save money instead of going out and blowing it on something meaningless like "drinks" or expensive food and all that jazz. Movie theaters to are a rip off. There are so many ways to watch movies these days its not even funny. On Demand, Netflix, Blockbuster, PPV, plus alot is available on Blu Ray. I enjoy the summer season (4-5 months) but sunny days and warmer weather = alot more idiots outside clogging up the streets and stores and making it harder for me to do what I need to do and go where I need to go.

Then theres the Prima Donnas like the snowbirds who flock to Florida when its chilly up North who despise cold weather or snow because there above shoveling snow. Gimme a break. I hate the heat and warm weather it burns my skin, makes me tired and gives me a headache.

Alot of older folks say they cant be bothered shoveling or the cold makes there frail bones ache but what about the heat? Thats not any good for the oldies either.

I read all these posts all over this forum of people from cold states talking about moving to Florida or Arizona because there sick of winters.

Who are you warm weather lovers and why is the cold weather such a huge negative impact on your life?

People from foreign countries like Latin America where the temps are usually hot? Old people who physically cant shovel? Golfers?

The cold weather humbles people. I like that. Less crime, less clutter, overall less stupidity.

Im sure its the Introvert in me who enjoys solitude and cold weather and the exrtovert in you who needs sun, heat, and lots of people around you all the time but I figured I would get a discussion going here.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:07 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default You won't get any argument from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
I copy and pasted the following post I made in response to another post on here and felt it was a good enough topic to get a discussion going. Sell me on the Heat, why do so many people prefer warm Florida?

First. I love Cold weather and am gonna enjoy some nice cool crisp 30-40 degree temps here the next few days.

I will never understand why people prefer to sweat and enjoy the sensation of there skin burning and eye blinding sun over a nice cool cloudy day.

I also never understood how so many people get effected from cold or dreary weather. Me? I love it. Perfect weather to stay inside and catch up on important things in life like spending time with family and friends, or just doing something productive like reading or talking on the phone with an old friend, watch some tv , stuff like that. Plus its a great way to save money instead of going out and blowing it on something meaningless like "drinks" or expensive food and all that jazz. Movie theaters to are a rip off. There are so many ways to watch movies these days its not even funny. On Demand, Netflix, Blockbuster, PPV, plus alot is available on Blu Ray. I enjoy the summer season (4-5 months) but sunny days and warmer weather = alot more idiots outside clogging up the streets and stores and making it harder for me to do what I need to do and go where I need to go.

Then theres the Prima Donnas like the snowbirds who flock to Florida when its chilly up North who despise cold weather or snow because there above shoveling snow. Gimme a break. I hate the heat and warm weather it burns my skin, makes me tired and gives me a headache.

Alot of older folks say they cant be bothered shoveling or the cold makes there frail bones ache but what about the heat? Thats not any good for the oldies either.

I read all these posts all over this forum of people from cold states talking about moving to Florida or Arizona because there sick of winters.

Who are you warm weather lovers and why is the cold weather such a huge negative impact on your life?

People from foreign countries like Latin America where the temps are usually hot? Old people who physically cant shovel? Golfers?

The cold weather humbles people. I like that. Less crime, less clutter, overall less stupidity.

Im sure its the Introvert in me who enjoys solitude and cold weather and the exrtovert in you who needs sun, heat, and lots of people around you all the time but I figured I would get a discussion going here.
I just got back from a long weekend in NY (January by choice) where I am from. It was NINE DEGREES on Saturday. We went out.

Woke up on Sunday morning and it was in the teens. It was SNOWING. We went out.

It snowed again on Monday. We went out. I left that afternoon in the snow. We had to wait an hour on the plane for them to de-ice it. I sat there and watched the lovely SNOW. It was all so peaceful.

I am back now in Florida, but there is a big "cold" front coming, even in SW Florida. Today it was very windly and never got out of the 60s. It is supposed to be in the 40s tonight with highs in the 50s tomorrow. Thursday they say will be "worse". THIRTIES?????? ROFL

My snowbird neighbor came down 2 weeks ago. I guess it is too "cold" in Florida for them, even when it was in the 70s (booooo). They CLOSED UP THEIR POOL. ROFL

I LOVE cold weather and snow. My lovely weekend in NY gave me everything I wanted.

Sorry, I cannot answer the point of your post, but I didn't move here for the weather. Actually, I HATE Florida weater.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Give me 4 seasons any day! I agree with you.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,722 times
I still haven't heard why you guys live there. What's the scoop?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Well, I'll start.
I am a lifelong Western NY'er, I live just outside of Buffalo NY. I can only speak for myself, and we are all entitled to our opinions.

I sense that the OP is on the younger side. His info states he wants to move to America, so he apparently lives outside the U.S.

As I get older, I have a tougher time handling the cold. Tonight here it will be 4 degrees, and we were below zero for days last week. I can not remember the last time we were above freezing. For those of you who have never lived for days in below zero weather, it can be hard. The air gets so cold it hurts your lungs.

During a hard winter, the snow and cold effects everything. Your house is cold no matter what you do. Heat bills easily go over $100 a WEEK. Poor people decide weather they want to EAT or HEAT. Roads can be treacherous, with ice, etc. Even if you are a good winter driver, others are not and can kill you. They do not clean off their windshields, etc, and drive almost blind, and skid into you. I'm a professional Firefighter, and I spend a lot of time going to accidents, seeing what most of you will never see.

The salt ruins your car. You can almost see the rust ruin your car. Your garage floor gets covered with dirty snow/ice. You cannot park anywhere in parking lots because there are no lines because of the snow and ice and HUGE piles of snow. You cannot push a shopping cart through the snow.

Your skin gets so itchy. You go to kiss your wife and the static electricity almost blows your lips off. Walking outside is dangerous......you slip and fall and break a bone or hurt your back. An elderly person who breaks a hip has a 25% chance of being dead within that year from the fall.

You need to start your car 20 minutes before you go anywhere just to warm it up. You have to scrape the ice off windows first also. You thank God for your remote starter on your cars. Potholes are everywhere....you can count on 2 wheel alignments a year, easy. You carry jumper cables and an emergency blanket and shovel always.

You either shovel, or pay a plow person to plow out your driveway for $30-50 bucks a pop, sometimes a FEW times a day, or you own your own snowblower...(mine costs about $2500.) and spend hours a week snowblowing.....just so you can get out if needed, or so an ambulance can make it to your house if needed. You throw salt on all your walks so no one slips and kills themselves or sues you.

You bundle up to go anywhere.....gloves, boots, hats and bulky coats are always needed. As you get older, the cold just creeps into your bones and it hurts. When I am down in Florida, the pain leaves.

Some people can take the cold. Some can't. Some people cannot take the humid heat. Some can. I love the heat.

Well, that just scratches the surface......I hope that helps answer your question.

Respectfully, Frank D.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Well, I'll start.
I am a lifelong Western NY'er, I live just outside of Buffalo NY. I can only speak for myself, and we are all entitled to our opinions.

I sense that the OP is on the younger side. His info states he wants to move to America, so he apparently lives outside the U.S.

As I get older, I have a tougher time handling the cold. Tonight here it will be 4 degrees, and we were below zero for days last week. I can not remember the last time we were above freezing. For those of you who have never lived for days in below zero weather, it can be hard. The air gets so cold it hurts your lungs.

During a hard winter, the snow and cold effects everything. Your house is cold no matter what you do. Heat bills easily go over $100 a WEEK. Poor people decide weather they want to EAT or HEAT. Roads can be treacherous, with ice, etc. Even if you are a good winter driver, others are not and can kill you. They do not clean off their windshields, etc, and drive almost blind, and skid into you. I'm a professional Firefighter, and I spend a lot of time going to accidents, seeing what most of you will never see.

The salt ruins your car. You can almost see the rust ruin your car. Your garage floor gets covered with dirty snow/ice. You cannot park anywhere in parking lots because there are no lines because of the snow and ice and HUGE piles of snow. You cannot push a shopping cart through the snow.

Your skin gets so itchy. You go to kiss your wife and the static electricity almost blows your lips off. Walking outside is dangerous......you slip and fall and break a bone or hurt your back. An elderly person who breaks a hip has a 25% chance of being dead within that year from the fall.

You need to start your car 20 minutes before you go anywhere just to warm it up. You have to scrape the ice off windows first also. You thank God for your remote starter on your cars. Potholes are everywhere....you can count on 2 wheel alignments a year, easy. You carry jumper cables and an emergency blanket and shovel always.

You either shovel, or pay a plow person to plow out your driveway for $30-50 bucks a pop, sometimes a FEW times a day, or you own your own snowblower...(mine costs about $2500.) and spend hours a week snowblowing.....just so you can get out if needed, or so an ambulance can make it to your house if needed. You throw salt on all your walks so no one slips and kills themselves or sues you.

You bundle up to go anywhere.....gloves, boots, hats and bulky coats are always needed. As you get older, the cold just creeps into your bones and it hurts. When I am down in Florida, the pain leaves.

Some people can take the cold. Some can't. Some people cannot take the humid heat. Some can. I love the heat.

Well, that just scratches the surface......I hope that helps answer your question.

Respectfully, Frank D.

Great Post Frank!

I just posted in another place that the days are much shorter the further North you go. You usually leave for work before the sun comes up and get home after it is dark. The dreary, dark, cloudy, cold, raw, icy, crusty, frosty, over cast days drag on and on and on. I asked a question if the days were longer here, than up north when I first started to post here, and I can tell everyone definitively that they are longer here! There is probably 30-45 minutes more sun light in the evening than there is in MD. Watching the inaugeration today, it was dark up there during a parade, while it was still light out down here. The poor weather up there does affect my mood. I enjoy the sun and warmth much more than what I described. But . . . that's me.

As cold and raw as it gets it really does chilly you to the bone, and it does hurt older people! You slip and slide all the time on ice that is everywhere, and it really is treacherous for the elderly. Both my father and brother are doctors, and when I was younger I worked in the emergency room, it was an hourly thing seeing people come in that hurt themselves slipping and pulling a muscle if they're lucky, or having a more serious injury. It seems the x-ray machine was running non-stop.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:48 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Yes, and I did not even mention those who are adversely affected by the lack of sun. S.A.D. is a real thing. It is difficult to get outside when it is this cold. Many people get depressed and lethargic. Those who work inside can find themselves not even seeing the sun for days.....going to work and returning home in the dark.

So, to answer the OP, it is NOT our fascination with the heat. It is our intolerance to the bitter cold and the extremes in our seasons.

Frank D.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:22 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,857 times
Quote:
Well, I'll start.

Respectfully, Frank D.
Oh, my gosh. you read my mind. right now, in Ohio, its 4 degrees. My skin looks like I have a major disease! My hands are always cold not to mention my feet. Getting ready for the freezing rain on Friday. Yippee. YOu have to layer your clothing. many layers. I feel like the kid on Christmas Story
Lets talk about the chunks of gunk on our mud flaps. Can't wash the car or it will freeze the locks.
Uggh, I'm exhusted. Time to watch the weather channel,.......

Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Well, I'll start.

Respectfully, Frank D.

Hey Frank.

Actually I live in South Florida (not by choice, long story, planning to leave) The "wants to move back to America" is just being sarcastic because its so different down here it doesnt feel like good ole USA.

Those are all good points you make about the Wintry mess. I lived in New Jersey for the first 20+ years of my life so I have experienced what you speak of.

Your right people of any age can become tired and annoyed of all the wintry mess.

I guess I do see the upside to wanting to get away from all that. No wonder why its so crowded in Florida.

Me personally , the wintry mess doesnt bother me, but Im an odd cat to begin with but I can see why other people get tired of dealing with it.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM

I wonder why everyone flocks to Florida though. I mean theres alot of warm states. This place is a crowded mess. To many people with to many different backgrounds and beliefs and previous ways of living and its just a big cluster....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida