Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:40 PM

467 posts, read 1,686,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That is high. I could not find the millage rate but after HSE you would have $175,000 x millage of on the high side .25. That woud make it more like $4300 and I think the millage is probably less then that.
i agree with this...i think its atleast very close
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 03:12 PM

523 posts, read 2,822,077 times
RiverviewNative
Is this property on Water?
Are you by chance the Military Man who was in newspaper a while back. talking about the fact you cannot build on the lot?

Old 03-12-2007, 04:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,369,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That is high. I could not find the millage rate but after HSE you would have $175,000 x millage of on the high side .25. That woud make it more like $4300 and I think the millage is probably less then that.
I agree, my sisters $175,000 townhouse she bought two years ago, costs her around $4000 in property taxes. So a $200,000 shouldn't be too much more than $4000, anyways no more than $5000.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:51 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new guy in town View Post
Unless you buy a home with a homestead already on it, right?
It doesn't matter. Homestead is NOT transferable. Each new homeowner has to apply for homestead which will go into effect the 2nd year you are in the home...then SOH goes into effect the FOLLOWING year.

That's how we got screwed. Our home was supposed to be complete in Sept. 04. Due to the hurricanes and subcontractor issues, we didn't get to close until Jan. of '05. Our taxes were based on assessed value of 221,000. That meant we didn't get to qualify for homestead until '06 (we would have qualified in '05) - so we paid the full amount the first year.

In '05, we qualified for homestead, but the city of Orlando increased our assessed value by a HUGE amount, and because we didn't qualify for SOH, we had to pay that, too. We finally qualify for SOH this year - '07!

So whatever you do, if you're buying in the fall - try to get into your home before the first of the year and immediately file for homestead. Our neighbors - who signed the contract for their home 2 weeks AFTER we did, will forever pay 1K a year LESS property tax than us because they closed in Nov. '04 - two months before we did.

Hopefully, this UNFAIR system of taxation will be changed by the current administration.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:57 PM

937 posts, read 2,877,553 times
Default That's true

That seems about right. The taxes have skyrocketed over the last few years.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:13 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
$6000/year on 200k house? No, that sounds very much NOT right!!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:22 PM

121 posts, read 502,428 times
Default Yes and no

I am a Florida native and not in the military. The lot is on the water and we had actually started the process of building. Concrete pilings driven,footers poured and the foundation done up to the 11 foot level. At a cost of about $35,000 back in 2001. We were building in stages as we could afford it. We had the money saved to get it to a stage where we could homestead it and then the morons in the tax office hit us.
Here in is a large part of my resentment toward all of this over building. I was in contact with the Tax collector and they flat told me that since the area had been so built up that is why they raised it. Now you want to hear the kicker. The lot is in rural Ruskin and that area is basically the same as it has been for years. So for all the extra money I have to pay in taxes I get nothing extra. They do not even pick up trash from that lot. As I see it I I am now paying $11,000 a year for the same services i used to get for $2,700.
And the final thing is now unless they do away with property taxes or radically change the system we will not build there. Can you imagine what the taxes would be with a house on it. I would basically have a mortage payment in tax form to the county for over $1,000 a month forever. And I am not about to pay this county that kind of money for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasunshine View Post
RiverviewNative
Is this property on Water?
Are you by chance the Military Man who was in newspaper a while back. talking about the fact you cannot build on the lot?

Old 03-15-2007, 01:59 AM

93 posts, read 368,861 times
One of my rentals is assessed at 160K the total tax bill with ad valorem etc is 2400. your taxes should be about 3200 before homestead exemption. Whne you buy is important. As a sidebar, new assessments are completed and should be posted early August. The local govt's are nervous as hell, anticipating a big drop in revenue........lower assessments = lower taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida