U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-23-2009, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 10,116 times
Default Anyplace in Florida like Hawaii?

We've been to Hawaii on more than one occasion and LOVE it. Was wondering if there was ANY part of Florida that remotely resembles Hawaii? We enjoy the laid back lifestyle, the people, the serenity of the north shore, the hustle of Waikiki Beach, the weather, wearing flip flops all the time, etc.

I have been searching the various forums for Florida and find NOTHING very in favor of or painting Florida in a good light. Kind if disappointing. All I find is there are too many people moving there from other places (ironically, stats show more are moving OUT than IN currently), crime is described like the whole state is a prison with bars along the coastline, heat is described as overwhelming hot all the time and rain every day (try shoveling/blowing show that piles higher than the mouth of your snowblower, or a couple weeks straight with weather with temps in the SINGLE digits). Tourism is all over, well, Hawaii too.

Our plan is to job hunt, get a job, move, rent for a while and look for the right community, buy an affordable house and not get beyond our means. So again, anywhere in Florida resembling Hawaii???
Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM

238 posts, read 436,502 times
Well the only area in Florida that could compare in weather would be south florida. The further south you go, the more "tropical" it will be. Besides that, I can't think of many similarities.

Last edited by LA-VA-FL; 01-23-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Unread 01-23-2009, 12:27 PM

767 posts, read 1,189,919 times
In Florida, I would recommend that you check out Siesta Key (Sarasota). It has some of the most beautiful white sand beaches in the world and Siesta Village is its own small community. I've been there many times and got married on the beach there. Weather-wise it is far enough south to be warm probably 80% of the time, the water is much warmer than it is in CA, and it is somewhat expensive but I would say a bargain compared to beach areas in both California or Hawaii. I never felt unsafe there and, to my knowledge, violent crime is not a huge problem. People-wise, you get a mixed bag as you might expect (everything from the snobby types with sticks up their butts to the down home folks who are easy to talk to). I have not detected any sign of gang problems. I have never been to Hawaii and I love the West Coast, but I suspect that you will find Sarasota to also have certain advantages. So that's my pitch. You can check it out.

Unread 01-23-2009, 02:04 PM

9,538 posts, read 14,191,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
In Florida, I would recommend that you check out Siesta Key (Sarasota). It has some of the most beautiful white sand beaches in the world and Siesta Village is its own small community. I've been there many times and got married on the beach there. Weather-wise it is far enough south to be warm probably 80% of the time, the water is much warmer than it is in CA, and it is somewhat expensive but I would say a bargain compared to beach areas in both California or Hawaii. I never felt unsafe there and, to my knowledge, violent crime is not a huge problem. People-wise, you get a mixed bag as you might expect (everything from the snobby types with sticks up their butts to the down home folks who are easy to talk to). I have not detected any sign of gang problems. I have never been to Hawaii and I love the West Coast, but I suspect that you will find Sarasota to also have certain advantages. So that's my pitch. You can check it out.
I pretty much agree with this post. We live in Sarasota and love it. As you (the OP) know, there is no place in Florida that would be just like Hawaii, for good or bad. Siesta key is beautiful and tropical looking with gorgeous beaches, and has that laid back "Margaritaville" vibe. The other keys and beaches here are beautiful as well, and we have a great, eclectic downtown with lots of neat, independently owned restaurants with great food. Real estate here is a bargain compared to the West Coast or Hawaii. Be aware there is no surf on the Gulf Coast to speak of, unless we get a storm.

As to the mention of all the "negative" posts - well, we certainly have those folks here who don't like Florida and post about it a lot, but most of us who love it and are happy, just aren't as vocal about it - still there are plenty of positive posts, you must not have read too many of the posts here.

Well, that's it from me, my vote would be Sarasota, since you want the laid back vibe - SE Florida coast cities have a "faster" feel, with more transplants from the NE states.

Hope this helps!

Unread 01-23-2009, 11:02 PM

272 posts, read 945,092 times
Having lived in both places, I can tell you that the only real similarities they share is that both are surrounded by ocean, both get lots of sun and each is beautiful-- but in completely different ways. Not saying one place is better than the other, just very different.

The islands are mountainous, Florida is mostly flat as a pancake. Florida is greener from top to bottom, since the mountains in Hawaii create a dry, desert environment on the windward sides of the islands. The culture and vibe are completely different. The quality of light is different, the feel of the air is different, even the rain smells different (and there's generally more of it in Florida-- the afternoon thunderstorms in summer are awesome!). The people are definitely different, in ethnic makeup, attitudes and customs. In terms of weather, keep in mind that weather in Hawaii varies greatly depending on which part of any island you are visiting/living and what the altitude is. Having said that, I don't personally think South Florida's weather resembles Hawaii's weather much at all. Central to Northern Florida's weather is a closer fit, in spite of how cold it can get in wintertime.

Really, it's comparing apples and oranges. Don't go to Florida expecting Hawaii; you must be ready to love Florida for its own flat, green, watery, quirky, lovely and entertaining self.

Unread 01-24-2009, 07:10 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,902,571 times
Talking Both Are Sunny!!

There really is no comparision between Florida and Hawaii...other than perhaps the sun and low wages......I have been to Hawaii numerous times and I have to agree with you that it is the ideal location to live and/or retire tooooo......if you can afford it......no matter what time of the year you visit the temperature is basically the same...and I spent over three months living there...looking for a place to live...only to find out it might be to far from family...

We have now been looking in South Florida and I have to agree that the Sarasota area has alot to offer...but if you to Florida looking for Hawaii...you will never be happy...

Unread 01-24-2009, 07:35 AM

88 posts, read 241,906 times
Aside from having the same basic latitude, no. I lived in Hawaii for over 12 years on Oahu and Hawaii. There is a spirt / energy present in the lands of Hawaii. For those who have been there can understand. There is no such spirit in Florida. The food, people, culture, and politics of Hawaii and Florida are vastly different. Florida is much cheaper to live, but you need more to live.

Unread 01-24-2009, 08:09 AM

6,383 posts, read 11,015,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I pretty much agree with this post. We live in Sarasota and love it. As you (the OP) know, there is no place in Florida that would be just like Hawaii, for good or bad. Siesta key is beautiful and tropical looking with gorgeous beaches, and has that laid back "Margaritaville" vibe. The other keys and beaches here are beautiful as well, and we have a great, eclectic downtown with lots of neat, independently owned restaurants with great food. Real estate here is a bargain compared to the West Coast or Hawaii. Be aware there is no surf on the Gulf Coast to speak of, unless we get a storm.

As to the mention of all the "negative" posts - well, we certainly have those folks here who don't like Florida and post about it a lot, but most of us who love it and are happy, just aren't as vocal about it - still there are plenty of positive posts, you must not have read too many of the posts here.

Well, that's it from me, my vote would be Sarasota, since you want the laid back vibe - SE Florida coast cities have a "faster" feel, with more transplants from the NE states.

Hope this helps!
I totally agree with this post. Gypsychic pretty much said everything that I would have said. Looks like the consensus so far is the Sarasota area is most similar.

Unread 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM

286 posts, read 748,734 times
Having been in both places, I would have to say that they're totally different and that you would need to visit FL before making any moving decisions. Hawaii has the Asian/Pacific Islander feel to it and South Florida (any other part of FL is def. not like Hawaii) has a Latin/Carribean/NY feel to it. They are very different. The Keys might be the only part of Florida that would be akin to Hawaii b/c it's got the heavy duty tourism, banyan trees, clear water, etc. Don't give up on FL, but just don't expect it to be Hawaii b/c you'll be disappointed, and I don't mean that in a negative way, I just mean that in the way that there's really no comparing them, aside from the fact that they're both tropical areas....

Unread 05-25-2009, 05:42 AM

13 posts, read 54,657 times
Cannot even compare Florida to Hawaiii.

It's like night to day, orange to an apple.

There are still nice places mostly South Florida (The Keys/West Palm
Bch./Ft. Lauderdale not Miami due to being too crowded/too much
crime etc) like everyone said. Tampa is a big city, far from bchs.

Bradenton/Sarasota area is number #1.

The real estate in Manatee County (Brad./Sara.) is over the top, you
will PAY to live there near the beaches. Same thing in South FL.

For what you may buy on Big Island for $400,000 maybe a nice home in Kona consider this you will be buying a 1/1 condo w/ $800.00 condo fees per month in Manatee County. Got $200,000 then you get a brand new home in Hawaii & in Manatee County you may get a 1930 shack! You will get all the crime, traffic and big city life in FL tho. Also you may buy land in Hawaii to build a shack in the FL Keys you may buy land ONLY to sit on it as there is no building permits pulled due to no infrastructure. WPB & Ft. Lauderdale have STEEP prices for doctors/lawyers.

One more thing, FL didn't PRESERVE the reefs except for the FL Keys which is DYING by the way due to all the sewage from Key West (there is no septic system in place) & Hawaii, well, LOOK it up on the web.

Hawaii did preserve the coral reefs & are taking measures in place to keep it that way. Some places like the tidal pools in Kapoho are now conservation places where you may no longer spearfish or remove plants or animals etc.

The water is BLUE in Hawaii, in Florida you will only find blue water in South
Florida. Sarasota/Bradenton has the clearest water tho it's not blue to swim. Clearwater used to be clear wa wa now it's all condos & gray wa wa.
Technically, Clwr. is my closest beach tho I don't go due to large crowds, unable to swim w/o bumping into someone & it's a buck a hour for parking.

Aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida